Strange ways to get a flat tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange ways to get a flat tire

Get this... On my way to work this morning, somewhere along the way (my guess, within a block from work) one of the tires on my Silverado picked up a 1/4" allen wrench! Poked a good sized hole right on the "corner" where the tread face meets the side wall. It was losing air very fast - like removing the core from a valve stem. It's not repairable... so Costco road hazard coverage is covering it for me.

I figured I'd start a thread of weird ways to get a flat tire... Or whatever other weird car breakdown/tire blowout stories you have to share.

-Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Four years age my son is graduating 8th grade have lots of time before we need to be there. So we take him out to dinner leave the restaurant hop on the freeway to go to his school The water pump on my wifes van freezes up breakes the belt limp it home grab my truck (after we unload a bunch of tables and chairs) Hop back on the freeway we are good still have 20 minutes only 10 minute drive. Than I hear something rattle under my truck than stops about 1/4 mile up the road I got the steering wheel turned 1/4 turn just to keep it on the road flat tire 1/4 " hole.Called some friends they picked up my wife ,son ,daughter I stayed to change flat. Yes I did make it on time. What a night
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Back when I drove big rigs I was pulling a 45' trailer full of glass up to Lake Tahoe. Started up the first grade on 50 going into Eldo Hills and BAM, The driverside tire on the rear axle exploded, I mean like a bomb. A car was just passing at the time and he was all over the road. It scared the crap outta me and it was 50' behind me. Can't imagine what it was like right next to it. Good thing they outlawed the old split ring rims, the guy could've died.
      1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Back in my younger days I actually had an EB that ran. A buddy of mine and I were headed to Sac to do a little partying. Harley with HA lookin dude and his chick pull up next to us on 80. His chick thought my rig was cool I guess and waved so I waved back. Me thinks grumpy driving didn't like me wavin at his girl so next thing I know he is pulling in front of me and reaching into his saddle bags and dropping roofing nails on the highway in front of me. Got 2 of my 35 X 17.50 Mickey Thompsons. Funniest thing about it is his crack pipe bounced up on my windshield and wedged itself under my windshiel wiper. Didn't have cell phones at the time but was just coming up on the scales so I pulled in and gave the local PoPo his plates and pipe and explained what happened. They asked if I wanted to trade "info" with the guy when they caught him. Uuuuuuumm yeah, riiight. Have him swing by my place to apologize and pay for the damage. I don't think so. I even had my 44 in my center console while I was talking to the CHP. That would have gone over like a fart in church.

That strange enough for ya?

Jeff
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

The only flats I seem to have are Trailer Tires.
          I think the worst one, I lost on Hwy50.
          The tire wraped it self around the brake drum.
          I had to use my Ready Welder to cut the tire apart, while a nice guy in an XJ stoped to help me, used his winch to pull the tire off, as I cut it.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I seem to have trailer tire problems also. My most violent one exploded like a gun shot, and in the process, ripped my fender all but off the deck. One inch of metal was holding it on, and the rest was up on the hood of the bronco. Since then I got rid of the passenger car tires on the trailer, and replaced them with real trailer tires.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Working...
            X