Kids these days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids these days

Here in Chico/ Northern California we've been having a run of Forest Fires. Several of my friends and family members have been either evacuated or have lost their homes, everyone has been effected in one way or another. Needless to say the area is full of firefighters from around the country. The one thing that I am noticing is that most of the firefighters are kids; 18-25 years old, and they have been busting their ass. Wildland firefighting is a young man's game.

I don't know who their parents are, or what family situations they come from; but, if you have a son or daughter fighting fires or know someone fighting the fires let them know they have my respect. They are doing something right.

This out of character rant is over

Brad
    Brad
    Chico, Ca.

Thanks to you for telling us about this and thanks to them.

I have a son that is 26 years old he helps me every day. I work with him at my house on a 1965 Impala this project has brought Jake and my self closer than you can belive. It is getting to be all his friends come over on saturday and work on there cars and I help teach them the right way to do the work. There are some real good young adults out there.
    Last edited by RandyatBBY; 07-09-2008, 12:37 PM.
    1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Wildland firefighting is a young man's game.
      Well not all of 'em - FFMDX and 904Bronco are up in the Paradise area as I write as part of a strike team from our department. They are well, I spoke to FFMDX today. Please keep them and all the firefighters in your prayers.

FM <><
      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Yah, some of my family members lost all but thierhome up on Neal road with the Shasta fire. The Cal Fire crew set up base on thier 20 acre parcel and stood strong and saved thier house. The camped ot that location for 2 weeks. These Hot Shots are bad ass dudes.

Chuck, tell the guys I am here if they need me. Paradise is my home town and I know it is in good hands. My 88 year old Grammie is still up there! If they want a home cooked meal, and my aunt is not evacuated, she would hose thier entire crew for some grub I am sure.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I will pass it on to them.
          Thanks Delta!

FM <><
          72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
          1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman View Post
            Well not all of 'em - FFMDX and 904Bronco are up in the Paradise area as I write as part of a strike team from our department. They are well, I spoke to FFMDX today. Please keep them and all the firefighters in your prayers.

FM <><
            Tell those guys that I have beer in my fridge with their names on it if they get a chance.

Feel free to give them my cell number or have them contact me off list if they want to get together.

And Delta: if you grammie needs any help give me a call.

Brad
            Brad
            Chico, Ca.

Comment

I have been wondering if any NCB firefighters were called into duty with all that's going on around the state. They and the rest of them are definitely in my thoughts.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

where was the house on Neal rd? I was on a couple houses on "Royal" near Goa off Neal. Things got sketchy for a bit but we made out ok. They bumped us to York after it blew out of Neal. It looked like most of the homes lost were in the flats past Goa and into the subdivision we had to bump thru to get to York.
                73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Comment

Originally posted by Familyman View Post
                  I will pass it on to them.
                  Thanks Delta!

FM <><
                  I mean it too. She is one hell of a cook!

Originally posted by Formerjughead View Post

And Delta: if you grammie needs any help give me a call.

Brad
                  Thanks Brad. I really appreciate it. They moved her down to Chico tonight to stay with my cousin. I guess they had to move out pretty quickly.

Originally posted by firecat View Post
                  where was the house on Neal rd? I was on a couple houses on "Royal" near Goa off Neal. Things got sketchy for a bit but we made out ok. They bumped us to York after it blew out of Neal. It looked like most of the homes lost were in the flats past Goa and into the subdivision we had to bump thru to get to York.
                  their place is off of Indian Springs. They lost their shop, one Modular home, all their equipment, water supply and power. The two main homes were saved. They lost a lot, but were spared even more. They are very thankful. Thanks for all your hard work.
                  “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Here's a link to the local paper:

http://www.chicoer.com

And for a little further north the Redding paper:

www.redding.com

They have been doing a great job on updating things as needed.
                    Brad
                    Chico, Ca.

Comment

I think Sanger city 50 was in that area, we were at the bottom of Royal where it blew out of the drainage. Even with drops from the DC-10, It still ran up canyon with TONS of spotting. The humiditys were @ 8% with 20-30 MPH winds up canyon. I'm kind of surprised it wasn't worse-
                      73' balanced .060 302, NP435, 1"BL, 2 1/2 "pops" susp lift and more to come!!

Comment

On my way to Fresno today, spotted a pack of about 8 different firetrucks from areas around Fresno headed north. Then about 10 miles behind them another pack from the Burbank/Glendale area headed north also..Looks like more help was on the way!!!
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I am thinking of applying to become a volunteer wildfire fighter when I get life settled down in BC as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X