Ca smog/reg question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ca smog/reg question

What is the cut off for ca smog? Also, do you have to have an initial smog done when you first register?

76 and older..need no smog inspection to be registered...however I hear you can get pulled over for a roadside smog and have to have what ever smog equipment for the year of your engine..
    1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Comment

Thanx. Funny how for my bronco it is going to easier to reg it in ca then nv. I guess there are some good things about ca.
      Last edited by OUR75; 08-16-2008, 09:40 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

I think the smog exemption actually is through 1975. 76 and later still participate in the smog at time of transfer and every other year. The rolling exemption was removed a few years ago.

Comment

Mine is a 75. In my county I don't half to have the smog equipment but I half to have a smog check done.

Comment

Correct, 75 and older do not require smog inspections. But, you can still get tickets for not having the smog equipment.
            68 Half Cab, 289(original), 435, 20, 4.11's, 35's, ARB's.

Comment

Good to know. However, it won't spend much time in Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by 68Steed View Post
                Correct, 75 and older do not require smog inspections. But, you can still get tickets for not having the smog equipment.
                I hope I never get pulled over for a roadside smog equipment check. I highly doubt that the new school cops would know what is supposed to be there anyway.
                Luke

Comment

I've lived in California most of my life, and have only seen one instance of roadside smog check.
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I've lived here all my life and have never seen it. Not even once.

Comment

vehicle inspection

I saw it one time and got stopped in Modesto @tully ave. and standiford ave about four years ago. Thank god I was in my truck notmy bronco!
                      73 bronco 351,nv4500,stk3spd,4.88,hp60f&r,detroit,arb,o/b air,welder,etc.
                      77,351 mass air efi ,nv4500 atlas 3.8 4.88,detroit31 spline,arb44 o/b air5.5 lift etc.
                      70 4.5 lift 351 c-4 d20 big bearing in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                        I've lived here all my life and have never seen it. Not even once.
                        The roadside emissions testing thing is pretty recent and I don't think it applies to the whole state. From what I've read its only in San Bernardino, Riverside, Los Angeles and Orange counties... but I'm sure if it catches on, the Bay Area will get smacked with it too.

Most early broncos have it pretty easy with "required" smog equipment - as Catalytic converters and air injection were implemented in force pretty late in the EB production run. I'm not saying I want to have to deal with smogging a 38 year old vehicle... but I'll do it if I have to.
                        Last edited by CityHick; 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

They can bite me, I run EFI and burn cleaner then my orig 302 I'll go to a Ref if I have too...
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

They have had them here in Roseville. The word got out at work, and they implied that we should avoid that area with our work trucks. Pretty crazy.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

New test in the bay area; in addition to testing the gas cap they place the fuel tank under minor pressure to see if there are leaks in your EVAP system. I have not had it done yet, but there was a thread on Classic about it...
                              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Working...
                              X