To buy or not to buy - seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy - seeking advice

Hey, noob here. Been lurking for a couple weeks doing research before taking the plunge. I've got a EB I'm looking at and wanted to get some thoughts from those who know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Here's the deal.

'74 sport, 302, C4, uncut and pretty much all stock with a couple upgrades
    Power steering/brakes, front brakes converted to disk
    no hard top, soft top in good condition, bikini top
    factory roll bar, interior is in good shape, paint is decent

Rust
    - about 2x2 area on the cowl, under hood
    - half-dollar sized spot at end of dash/door frame, probably related to spot above
    - quarter sized spot on one of the door frames, strike side
    - a couple small spots under the side molding on rear fender
    - undercarriage is good, was coated several years back
    - floorboards appear good

ODO reads 46K, assuming it turned over, at least once
    Drives strong, engine runs well, electonic ignition, and he just had a couple things replace (water pump, harmonic balancer, hoses, etc.)

He's asking $5900, but he'll take a little less. Thoughts? Other things I need to look at. All help is appreciated.

Also, he's only the 2nd owner (about 9-10 yrs) and it was his DD up until about a year ago when he bought a new truck.

And of course, some pics.

Comment

If that really is all of the rust, I say grab it for sure! Looks like a real nice rig. Should be worth his asking price easy.

Comment

That is a nice looking rig. I think the question(s) you have to ask yourself are the following:

1. What do you want to do with this rig?
        2. How much rust can you live with and/or fix?
        3. Are you happy with a stock, carbureted, original drivetrain?

If you are looking to build a hardcore crawler, there are those who will tell you its a mortal sin to cut the rear fenders of an original uncut rig. I am not one of them - however knowing I wanted a trail rig I found an EB that had already been cut (then proceeded to cut it more).

If you are looking for a rig to just drive as-is or do a stock-ish restoration on, then it looks like you've found a prime candidate for that.

I'd be interested to know how much the owner would knock off that price. It would also be a very good idea to lift that carpet up and take a peek under it. Bad floorboards are easily hidden under carpet (ask me how I know).

I know I overpaid for my rig but I was tired of looking at junk - and I had looked at a lot of junk.... Mine, even with its problems was pretty solid but I paid about a grand less than the asking price of your potential rig. I don't think you'll go too wrong with that Bronco but you are dealing with an old vehicle - there are no guarantees that its what is advertised.

Oh yeah... welcome aboard!
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Looks pretty clean, I'd say its a darn good price!

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

the thing is a pile of crap.................if you give me the guys address I'll go and tell him exactly what I think of him trying to sell such a heap.

Kidding aside.................Looks like a nice rig and the price seems more than reasonable. What are your plans for it?

Welocome aboard.

Brad
            Last edited by Formerjughead; 09-03-2008, 09:54 PM.
            Brad
            Chico, Ca.

Comment

It's too nice. Buy mine.
              67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
              69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
              69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
              79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
              67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
                That is a nice looking rig. I think the question(s) you have to ask yourself are the following:

1. What do you want to do with this rig?
                2. How much rust can you live with and/or fix?
                3. Are you happy with a stock, carbureted, original drivetrain?

If you are looking to build a hardcore crawler, there are those who will tell you its a mortal sin to cut the rear fenders of an original uncut rig. I am not one of them - however knowing I wanted a trail rig I found an EB that had already been cut (then proceeded to cut it more).
                It would be a dedicated trail rig, but streetable.....at least for a while. Lift, gears, long arms, lockers, cut fenders to start. I know how some folks feel about cutting the fenders and I would've preferred to find one already cut. But every one I saw is either already built up and/or too expensive, or is a rusted out bucket of crap. FWIW I did ask the owner if he cared if it was cut and he said no.

Drivetrain I can live with for awhile. The rust is new for me as I've never done a project like this. But it doesn't seem too bad. There's some surface rust also, but the spots I mentioned are the only ones all the way through the steel.

Comment

Originally posted by 69crawler View Post
                  It's too nice. Buy mine.
                  Same price and you got a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerjughead View Post
                    the thing is a pile of crap.................if you give me the guys address I'll go and tell him exactly what I think of him trying to sell such a heap.
                    I was waiting for that one.

He had it up on CL for maybe a week, about a month ago. Then took it down while he got some work done. He's a co-worker so I've got an inside track and he's given me a couple days before he puts it back up.

Comment

uhhhh, not the yellow one. But if your interested I have a 74 that is trail ready. Just needs a little tlc. PM me if you want more info. Darin
                      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans

Comment

Originally posted by Sewie View Post
                        I was waiting for that one.

He had it up on CL for maybe a week, about a month ago. Then took it down while he got some work done. He's a co-worker so I've got an inside track and he's given me a couple days before he puts it back up.
                        Well If it were me I would buy it and leave it uncut and sell in a year or so to buy one that is already cut. A decent shape modified rig will be in the neighborhood of 7-8K .

You might even find someone to trade you straight accross..........My vote is to leave it uncut.

Here's one by me:

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/825725044.html

and another

http://chico.craigslist.org/cto/801446752.html

Here's a couple in redding I think belong to someone on NCB

http://redding.craigslist.org/cto/820539687.html

They are out there............I just wouldn't cut it

Brad
                        Brad
                        Chico, Ca.

Comment

x2

Comment

That yellow 72 is a good deal! As for Nuchi, he is selling the two Redding rigs. I can't tell if he is asking 5K for both rigs or $5K for each rig. Buy one already cut or follow Juggy's advice, buy it and turn around and re-sell it for 7K.
                            Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Sounds like a good deal. How did you find us? Bebe didnt rat us out did she?
                              Rick-
                              68 Slightly modified
                              67 LUBR once again
                              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X