Coyote Lake in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coyote Lake in the winter

With ski conditions at the resorts quickly deteriorating, I have been spending a lot more time skiing in the backcountry. I have made few trips out to Red Mountain this year. Most of you may have heard of the Red Mountain OHV trails such as the Red and Coyote lake trail and the West and Strawberry Lake trail. Red Mountain sits roughly in the middle of all these lakes and peaks at just under 10,000'. It provides some spectacular views of the surrounding Sierra's.
    I thought some of you might be interested in seeing what Coyote Lake looks like covered in snow (last picture). Coyote is the flat snow covered area in the center of the photo. The Coyote Lake Trail (after Red Lake) begins at the lower left corner of the photo and follows the low ground through the trees to Coyote Lake. Red Lake is not visible from the peak, but is at the bottom of the hill before the first ridge. West, Mirror, and Strawberry Lake are 180° from this photo.
    I also included a few pictures of my favorite way to get back down Red Mountain theses pictures are taken from just above Strawberry Lake.
    Red Mountain is about a 4 mile 1500' climb from the top of Sierra Summit, when there closed it is about 6 miles and 3500' climb. It usually takes between 2-3 hours to get out there and about an hour coming back. There is also snowmobile trails that take you to the base, but I am not fortunate enough to have a sled (yet).
    Attached Files
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Re: Coyote Lake in the winter

Yup, looks cold!
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Wow, looks awesome. I used to snow board every Tuesday until I had my son. Haven't been since, and besides I have gotten fat! Thanks for the pics.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Nice pictures Steve. How do you guys get up to the top? Hike?

Comment

I haven't gone back country in a real ,Real long time. Great pic's. Thanks.
          1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Awesome. Let me know when you get a sled. I'll come down or you can come up. I used to like "earning" the turns but now I'm old with no time so that's all out the window!

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
              Nice pictures Steve. How do you guys get up to the top? Hike?
              We skin up on our skis. With Telemark skis your heel is free to walk and skins are used for traction. Skins are synthetic animal skins with glue on the back side that you stick to the bottom of your skis and walk up. The skin has teh hair all facing one direction allowing you to slide teh ski forward, but doesn't allow it to slide back. When you get to the top you peel the skins, throw them in your pack, off and ski down. If it's really steep sometimes we take the skis off and boot pack up(hike).
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Highlander - I've been looking at access routes to this area in the snow and found your post - nice pics. It sounds like you came in from Sierra summit even when they were closed. Is that right? did you ever ski in there by way of the snowmobile route that starts from the Coyote or Tamarack trailhead? I skied in to Red rock basin starting from over by Huntington Lake in April of this year, and I'm planning to go back next spring, and wondering if it will be easier to go in via coyote lake. I'm figuring it's easier route-finding that way, as you have a marked snowmobile route to coyote lake. It's slightly shorter the way I went, but the thick forest means you really have to pay attention to navigate.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                  Highlander - I've been looking at access routes to this area in the snow and found your post - nice pics. It sounds like you came in from Sierra summit even when they were closed. Is that right? did you ever ski in there by way of the snowmobile route that starts from the Coyote or Tamarack trailhead? I skied in to Red rock basin starting from over by Huntington Lake in April of this year, and I'm planning to go back next spring, and wondering if it will be easier to go in via coyote lake. I'm figuring it's easier route-finding that way, as you have a marked snowmobile route to coyote lake. It's slightly shorter the way I went, but the thick forest means you really have to pay attention to navigate.
                  Yes, I usually leave from Sierra Summit (Now renamed China Peak). When the resort is closed I usually park on teh highway at Coon Creek Road, which is a summer service road that takes you to mid mountain at the resort it cuts out a few hundred feet of climbing. The road isn't labeled but its marked on most topo maps and roughly follows Coon Creek. It's about a mile or 30 minutes longer skinnig from the Coyote trailhead to Red Mtn than through the resort. From teh top of teh resort it is only a few hundred yard to the snowmobile trails. So it is pretty easy to navigate to teh Red MTN area. I have never gone in from Tamarack, but I am confident it would be much longer. Where is Red Rock Basin?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Red Rock Basin is out there a ways. I'm guessing you are familiar with the Dusy/Ershim OHV route; in relation to that, you'll know where Thompson Lake is. Above that and just to the southeast is Thompson Pass; go over that, and over the next ridge to the east and you're in Red Rock Basin.
                    It sounds like your route would be the fast way in to Coyote Lake and then beyond to Rock meadow and points east. I looked at the topo and I can see the road you mention and Coon Creek. But I suspect I'd have a parking problem, since I'm going in for more than just the day. Something over a week, actually. The way I went this year, I was able to park at the sno-park at the start of the Kaiser Pass road, which is just a half mile or so from where I started skiing. The Tamarack & Coyote sno-parks are just too far away to be useful. The road you'd turn off of 168 onto in the summer to go to Coyote Lake could be good, but I don't think I can park there for a week either.
                    So I'm probably back to where I started this year. It worked okay - I was just looking for a route that would save some time by being either shorter or easier to navigate.

Comment

Are you talking about Red Mountain Basin, just west of Hell for Sure pass. I'm sure that would incredible in the winter early spring. I've been there sevral times in the summer. If so coudn't you drive up Dinkey Creek road and park at the Courtright turn off. The road to Courtright is pretty well marked and traveled in the winter between PG &E and the cabin owners back there. So navigating to the lake should be easy.

Comment

Red Rock basin is to the northwest of Red Mountain basin (and directly south of Mt. Shinn if you are looking at a map of the area). Though my route will take me through the Red Mountain basin as well.
                        I'd have a long road slog if coming in by way of Dinkey creek. I don't think that would be nearly as much fun! Although, if it turns out to be a low snow year I might revise my route to start at Wishon dam, as that road is sometimes open by the end of April.
                        And yes, the whole area is pretty nice at the end of April, and just about like having your own private mountain range.

Comment

Working...
                        X