Alignment Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment Shop

Just got my extreme custom fab steering and it's time for an alignment. I hate to go to Wheel Works. Anyone know any good shops in the Santa Clara Area? The only truck place I know of is Ups and Downs.
    We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Re: Alignment Shop

Its really easy to do it yourself. lots of ways and very easy if your running disks.
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
      Its really easy to do it yourself. lots of ways and very easy if your running disks.
      How would I go about doing that?

Comment

First it depends on what type of steering linkage you have and if you added a lift. Post a pic and we can help you better.
        If Stock, it is either a "T" similar to what is shown in the pics (1966 to 75) or,
        a "Y" Style (used on 76-77). http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/categor...ods_Drag_Links

If you have the Y-style, dump it and upgrade to the T style.

The only real adjustment you can make with "T" stock steering is toe in toe out.
        BC Broncos has a nice link for that:
        http://www.bcbroncos.com/techtips08.html

Next Step is if you have an after market adjustable track bar (the thing in yellow) you adjust the position of the whole front axle over the frame.

After you do that , then you have to get the steering wheel centered up. Again if stock, you get everything lined up and pull the wheel then put it back on straight.
        Post a pic and lets see what you have to work with.
        Attached Files

Comment

Custom Alignment in Mountain View, Joe Silva is the owner

Performance Art in Gilroy, talk to Kevin

I have used both shops and can recommend them. There are both knowledgeable shops and they work on very high end race car stuff, to the standard daily driver. They have worked on my 75 and 77 EB and my 88 track mustang.

Doug
          2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
          1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
          2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Here is a pic of my setup. I have 2 1/2" WH coils, extreme custom fab 1 ton steering, and an adjustable track bar.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Muddy; 05-23-2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Trac bar riser on the axle would help.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Track bar riser, and flip the tie rod over the knuckles. You can buy a reamer on e-bay for like $50. TRO will move your tie rod up almost 4 inches.
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

X2!!!
                  Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
                  Trac bar riser on the axle would help.
                  1) You are getting allot of bump steer and its wandering all over the road. You need to get your track bar as close to parallel to your drag link as possible. Either get a track bar drop down bracket (easiest) or a track bar riser (would need welding) to move it.
                  2) I would replace your track bar bushings while your at it.
                  3) After you get all that in place then you need to figure out if you need to do a toe in/out adjustment. I will bet it was set on installation and you don't need to touch it.

Comment

Either get a track bar drop down bracket (easiest) or a track bar riser (would need welding) to move it.

Do you have to weld the drop bracket? I don't really like the drop brackets, but it is a lot cheaper and I haven't learned to weld yet.

Comment

WH sells a drop down bracket that comes with bolts. Once you bolt it in place, torque your botls, and make sure they don't loosen, and it will be as strong as the stock welds that transfer that lateral load into the frame.
                      Even if you welded the drop bracket to your stock unit, the whole thing is only as strong as the stock welds. Extreme side loading, tall tires, hydralic steering, all of that contributes to breaking those stock welds.
                      Just keep an eye on it and if you start to notice wandering while driving, check that whole lateral load path from the axle connection through the track bar, and into the frame. Look for cracks, rubber bushings extruding, bolts loose or missing, etc.

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks for all the help. Time to place an order. I'll give an update when I get it in.

Comment

I have that similar setup but with the TRO and the WH Trac bar riser on the axle.

I never took mine to an alignment shop after I did it. I followed the directions on the BC Broncos website. Go to this link and look for Front Wheel Alignment:

http://www.bcbroncos.com/techtips08.html
                          Kyle
                          Aptos
                          1967 EB, 5.8, AOD, Stak 5.22, 37's, Dana44/9" w/ARBs 5.13s, 3.5" WH SL, 2" BL, 4wheel disc hydroboost, wristed.

Comment

Do you know what degree offset the C-bushings are? Is that power steering or manual?

Even though you can do much of it yourself, the nice thing about having an alignment reading taken by a pro with a rack is that you will then know exactly what your caster and camber are as well as the toe-in.
                            Those measurements come in very handy in the future when troubleshooting an issue or making other modifications/adjustments that effect your front end. Especially the caster reading.

Paul
                            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I don't know what degree bushings they are. I assume they are duff's because of the color. I do have power steering. Once I get everything set the way I want it maybe I'll get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X