Trail gear storage idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail gear storage idea

I just came up with what might be a pretty cool idea for storing the countless items we want/need on the trail in our broncos - this may not be some new revolutionary idea - but I'm thinking of building a modular storage system out of military surplus ammo cans. They are fairly weatherproof, light weight, and they're cheap. My idea (since I don't run a back seat) is to get a couple of pieces of angle iron to bolt to the floor using the holes already there for the factory rear bench seat. This will form a "fixture" or "cradle" to drop ammo cans loaded with strategically organized gear into, that will run across the bed floor between the wheel wells. I would line the angle iron with rubber weatherstip type material to keep the cans from rattling around in this cradle.

What I have in mind is the following:
    1 can for "survival" type gear including matches, raincoat, leatherman tool, flashlight, fire starting material, etc.
    1 can for misc. fluids (power steering, brake, starting fluid, carb cleaner, etc)
    1 can for hand tools
    1 or 2 cans for non-perishable foods
    1 can for recovery gear

I figure I can fit probably 6-7 of them between the wheel wells. They are low profile enough too that soft items can be stored on top of them (tent, pad, sleeping bag, etc). This also forms a barrier to keep things like coolers, etc. from sliding around as they'll be wedged between the tailgate and the ammo cans, and will save a little floor space for my dog.

This might be a little on the redneck side... but I think it'll work great. On my slickrock trip, I had two plastic totes jammed full of stuff, plus a large cooler, plus all the normal camping gear. Not only did this consume a lot of floor space, it showed me that smaller, more organized containers make it easier to find stuff, especially in the dark.

Has anybody come up with anything like this? I think this might be a very inexpensive way to add a little organization and weather protection to my rig's interior.

I've also considered making some kind of shelf in the back to allow small stuff to be stored under coolers. The shelf idea seems like it might end up consuming more space than it provides, kind of like a closet organizer in a small closet.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Trail gear storage idea

I got a Yakamma Basket than some angle iron to run down the bed rails use hard top hole to attache it. Welded some light weight tubing to the angle so that it fits across the Bronco bed. Than I put the Yakamma Basket ot top of that. I kept the basket to one side so I could put a Med. size Ice Chest in the hole on top of the wheel well. (for day drinks and food) When I wheel I put the heavy stuff on the bottom and lighter stuff sleeping bag, tent, to top. and the rack keeps every thing tied in
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Brian - do you have pictures? I have thought about a rack setup like that but with my full cage I think it would be pretty difficult to make work.

I definitely want to keep the heavy stuff low and stack the light stuff on top of it.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        Brian - do you have pictures?
        Funny you should ask I thought right after I posted I should go take a pic and post. But guess what I didn't I will take one and post. And I know you can make it work with a full cage I did look for a pic in the A.M.
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Cool! Thanks Brian!

I have seen similar setups with half cages but the way the diagonal bar comes down on mine, it's going to take some creativity to get the cross pieces to attach to the bed rails.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Boy this thing looks ruff just something I put together on a night before a Rub. trip. And I store it out side but it still works fine. I did put some felt on the back of the angle iron to keep from scratching the paint. I would get the Ice Chest you want to use before you start building. Or what ever you want to use or not.
            Attached Files

Comment

That is pretty much what I had in mind in an earlier idea. As I mentioned before it'll be difficult to build that around my cage. I am going to see where I get with my ammo can idea then possibly tackle some kind of shelf eventually.

Thanks for the idea Brian.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Unistrut works well for this - you can lay some down front to back and use the seat bolt holes, it fits down in the channel. You then have tons of options to build on from there without ever drilling a new hole.

I used it to mount my spare tire, co2 bottle, highlift, etc.. when short on time to finish my rack. Worked great. Unistrut is like tinkertoys for big boys.

Comment

Yep I really like unistrut - its nice for all kinds of projects. If I ever build a rack like what Brian runs it will likely make extensive use of unistrut for the adjustability factor.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

I know Rick has a "rack" on his rig. i was thinking of copying that.

Tony-
                    What size cans were you thinking of running?
                    {o===o}
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I know your thinking of multiple small boxes, but here is what I use. One large water tight box with all my stuff ( tools, fluids,axe, shovel,straps, etc.). Soft tool bag inside with other smaller cases to seperate stuff. The top lid I have is tall and there are shorter ones to fit the base.
                      -Darin
                      Attached Files
                      67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                      69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                      69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                      79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                      67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

I have a single 20MM ammo can mounted in my bronco, and right now it has a quart of oil sloshing around in the bottom of it. I guess when I was in Moab my soft tool bag sqwished a hole in the quart of oil I had in there. I would suggest having a specific box for fluids so you don't have to deal with a mess like this. I like the idea of multiple boxes.
                        Marc D.
                        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I definitely plan on keeping fluids in a box strictly for fluids. When I packed up for slickrock I definitely saw the potential for problems storing tools alongside fluids and decided that was not a good idea. I really like the idea of multiple smaller boxes for the sake of keeping stuff organized. Organization is the key in small spaces!

I am looking at using a few of the .50cal ammo boxes (which seem to be the most common) and possibly one or two of the larger size that usually has padding inside (which I'd remove). The larger size I refer to is often labeled for night vision gear.

I am amazed how much junk I was able to put into one of the .50cal boxes. I think 3-4 of them would be great. I am also thinking of making my "cradle" such that it accomodates one jerry can for water. I no longer have my dad's welder, so if anybody knows of a good deal on a 220v mig welder, I'm all ears!

I picked up a couple sticks of angle iron today but didn't get anywhere with my design yet.

-Tony
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Where is a good place to get ammo cans and other various military boxes? Just at the local surplus store or is there a good resource online?
                            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Cheaperthandirt.com has them, as do other online retailers. Just search for them at www.froogle.google.com. Problem is that most places want to charge too much to ship them so the local surplus store gets my vote. Sure the prices are a little higher but with no shipping it kind of works out in the wash.
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X