Kid Seats/Belts Trail and Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Seats/Belts Trail and Street

Alright, my kids are getting kinda big for the car seats that have the 5 point harnesses built into them and would like to provide more than just the lap belt as I do take them in the Bronco on the street as well. I have looked at some of the preemie seats and teen seats by the vendors but none are DOT approved and likely never will be.

What are you guys running for your kids and how old are they?
    I have a 5, 3, and 1 yr old. The 1 yr old is accounted for but the others are where my concern is right now as they use a booster and shoulder belt in the car but that isnt an option currently in the Bronco (and I would like more support than just the shoulder in the Bronco since I dont run with a top.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Re: Kid Seats/Belts Trail and Street

Lap belts. Does that make me a bad parent?

When I was a kid, we would Jeep all day in the High Sierra's with four kids and two parents in a WWII Willy's.
    70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
      Lap belts. Does that make me a bad parent?

When I was a kid, we would Jeep all day in the High Sierra's with four kids and two parents in a WWII Willy's.
      Yeah I know, I grew up with lap belts in the back of a pinto station wagon and run lap belts still for myself on mine but would like a little more safety and peace of mind for the minions.

Comment

Just throwing this out there but call Crow Belts http://www.crowenterprizes.com/ ( in LA area) maybe you two could come up with something. We all know there is a market for something. One more thing check JEGS.Com in the JR Dragser http://www.jegs.com/c/Jr-Dragster_Sa...10419/10002/-1
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Josh, Ive got some 4 point kid harnesses if you want them... also, I have seen some guys (bronken and others) put in the kid size seats with harnesses that really seems to be the safest IMO.
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Better to be safe than DOT approved. If the seat didn't come with seat belts from the factory, legally you don't need them, so non-DOT should be fine.
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
              Josh, Ive got some 4 point kid harnesses if you want them... also, I have seen some guys (bronken and others) put in the kid size seats with harnesses that really seems to be the safest IMO.
              Sounds like a plan.

Comment

I run the aftermarket kids seats with a 2" 5 point harness (Taylor I think) and the kids love em'. I have been pulled over with the kids in the truck and the officer made a comment on how safe the kids looked. I doubt the cops are looking for DOT seats for the kids. If I was a little more computer savey I would post a pic

Ken
                69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONKEN View Post
                  I run the aftermarket kids seats with a 2" 5 point harness (Taylor I think) and the kids love em'. I have been pulled over with the kids in the truck and the officer made a comment on how safe the kids looked. I doubt the cops are looking for DOT seats for the kids. If I was a little more computer savey I would post a pic

Ken
                  Come on Ken, get some of that saveyness going, we love pics ;D

I ordered a set of kid seats on Monday and Pops is hooking a brother up with some 4 points. I got most of my mounting system made today, 4 rear lower bars with unistrut sliders to move the kid seats and the bench seat around on as needed (running seating for 6). Going to put a console between the seats too so they can have access to their own snacks and drinks. Need to make sure I mount it so they can get to it while still in their harness'.
                  My neighbor is a fire chief and I talked to him about it today, he asked me what I thought was safest, I told him the aftermarket kid seats with harness', he said it would take a real character of a police officer to give a ticket for doing something that would make it more safe for my children.

Looking forward to getting them in, I will be sure to post pics when I get it done for some feedback. Seats show on Friday so not going to be able to run them for Big Bear but still cruise with the kids plenty on the streets so I will get it done when I get back.
                  Last edited by PDXBronco; 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X