PC help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC help needed

I need to format my other PC and forget how. Any help here?

Thanks
    Vacaville, Ca
    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Re: PC help needed

Format a PC.......What is that Ya I am no help
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

This Should Help
      {o===o}
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

LOL

If some of the programs I use for work would work on one I would have one.
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by seahawkfan View Post
          LOL

If some of the programs I use for work would work on one I would have one.
          HERE YA GO

Im Just messin with your head. My dad just did this with his comp. The desktop (compaq) came with a recovery CD. not much help im sure
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

why are you formatting?

new computer?

recover/repair windows?

you should need to change the boot drive in BIOS. then just put in the windows cd and follow along.

if windows is working, but needs to be repaired just fire up the computer, stick in the windows disc and choose which option you want. make sure you back up everything first!

you can find great simple step by step instructions by google searching this. i had what i thought was a crashed c drive, and after some searching all is back up and running fine.
            73 bronco

Comment

Boot to your install CD, choose the format option. Bye-bye everything!

Slow down there though... what makes you want to format? As others have said, most problems can be fixed without being so destructive. Be careful when formatting... its the point of no return and your data will be lost.

If you really want to format and start clean, I recommend buying a new hard drive, pulling your old one (hard drives are cheap) and installing the new HD. Then install your OS and apply all the patches, and reinstall all your software.

You can then install your old drive as a slave and pull all your documents, pictures, etc to the new drive.

Just my $.02
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by fatguy View Post
                why are you formatting?

new computer?

recover/repair windows?

you should need to change the boot drive in BIOS. then just put in the windows cd and follow along.

if windows is working, but needs to be repaired just fire up the computer, stick in the windows disc and choose which option you want. make sure you back up everything first!

you can find great simple step by step instructions by google searching this. i had what i thought was a crashed c drive, and after some searching all is back up and running fine.
                I did google it and found the info I needed. Everything is OK now.

Thanks everone for the info.
                Vacaville, Ca

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                  Boot to your install CD, choose the format option. Bye-bye everything!

Slow down there though... what makes you want to format? As others have said, most problems can be fixed without being so destructive. Be careful when formatting... its the point of no return and your data will be lost.

If you really want to format and start clean, I recommend buying a new hard drive, pulling your old one (hard drives are cheap) and installing the new HD. Then install your OS and apply all the patches, and reinstall all your software.

You can then install your old drive as a slave and pull all your documents, pictures, etc to the new drive.

Just my $.02
                  Good thought. I have been having a lot of issues with this thing lately. It seems to crash on a regular basis. Some of the programs I use for my engraving stuff are fairly old and I'm not sure if they will work with Vista or I would have bought a new computer by now. I back everything up so I'm not worrying about losing info. I just want to start clean and with as few issues as possible.
                  Vacaville, Ca

Comment

i am glad you are up and running. computer problems can be so frustrating. and if you depend on one for your business, down time can be costly.

and like city hick said, hard drives are cheap. i just picked up a terabyte from new egg, a hitachi AND 4 gigs of ram for 136. the drive was only 80 bucks! might be nice to pick something up for the future, nice clean install, then use old drive is just for back-up.

another .02.

michael
                    73 bronco

Comment

What the heck is new egg? I may just do the 2nd hard drive thing. It's been a long time since I have done anything to my PC so I'm not to sure I want to try this. Only time will tell.
                      Vacaville, Ca

Comment

Newegg is an online shop....I also use tigerdirect... .com
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

pc's are pretty modular. as long as there is an open space in the case and open slots you are good. just need to know what type hd drive to buy- sata vs ide. sata are small red (i think that is the normal color, all mine are red. maybe someone with more experience can help here) and ide are wide (about 2inches and you can usually piggy back them). make sure you have enough power and extra pins. then just plug and play! i am making this a little simple but once you get in there it is pretty self explanatory. just make sure you and the computer are grounded. most suggest turning off the power supply at the switch on the power supply itself and leaving the computer plugged in, and touching the case first before you touch anything inside.

good luck and have fun. with the volume of work that most of us have done on our rigs, we should not be afraid of the inside of the computer. just no welding.
                          73 bronco

Comment

Thanks!
                            Vacaville, Ca

Comment

Working...
                            X