Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use their EB as their only "truck"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use their EB as their only "truck"?

I am thinking about selling my trusty "old" (2000) Silverado and buying a car more suitable for commuting in, and not having a pickup truck. I've done the whole 3 car thing and its a real PITA. I was always moving one or two vehicles to get the one I wanted out. Plus I don't really want to maintain and insure 3 cars again, it gets expensive.

Does anybody use their EB as their only truck, for making runs to Home Depot, etc? If so, do you ever wish you had something bigger? Most of my major home projects are behind me and I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon (and thus starting the whole remodeling/home improvement thing all over again won't happen again soon either).

Seems to me that if I bought or built a utility trailer I could just about get everything I need home from the hardware store, landscape supply place, etc, towed behind the Bronco. Once I finish the top and doors, I would even consider taking the EB up to go skiing in the winter instead of the pickup too.

I just sold my boat, so I don't really have anything to tow anymore. The only thing I can see that would suck is losing the ability to tow the Bronco to places like Moab.

This is just a wild idea at this point... I may end up finding some cheap used little econobox and keeping the truck - but the 304hp, 14 second V6 Camaro that gets 30mpg is awfully tempting...
    Last edited by CityHick; 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Anybody use their EB as their only "truck"?

I sold my Dodge Diesel about 7 months ago, and aside from the enjoyment that comes with filling idiot driver's cars full of black smoke with my 500HP diesel, I don't miss it. Definitely don't miss the payments!!! I did buy a $2000 1992 GMC 2500. So I still have the 3 car thing, but no payments on my truck. It does what I need it to, and it has a top to keep the rain out! Don't get me wrong, when I get my bronco finished, I plan to drive the tires off of it. But when all else fails, I think it is nice to have a cheap POS to get you to and from work, or to run and get parts for the other vehicles.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I am a subcontractor and for ten years my bronco was my only truck. I just used a trailer. If the economy keeps going down I'll do it agian.
      sigpic70w/ 69/351w/GT40 lightning heads 435/203/D20 5.5/3in 44/arb 9in/detroit need some beadlocks

Comment

I bought a utility trailer years ago. Waaaay cheaper than a truck (though I do have a truck, too.).

I paid $250 for the trailer, then sold the Dana 44 that was under it for $100 and replaced it with a free axle from a horse trailer. I towed the trailer to eastern Wyoming and back on a pronghorn + deer hunt.

I beat the hell out of the trailer, it costs me nothing to insure, there is no engine, tranny, etc. to maintain, and the registration is cheap.
        Last edited by Sierra Backwoods; 06-11-2009, 12:06 PM.
        70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

been doing it since 2005. I wish i had an F150 to tow the boat with though. 4 door 5 1/2ft Bed, 2wd, 22's, Slammed to the ground.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I have a beater Toyota Paseo I drive to work and back 34mpg.
            I bought a Toyota Tacoma 4 door pickup to be both the "nice car" and my temporary boat tow truck and miscelaneous Home Deport rig.
            I bought Toys so I didnt have to work on them and leaves me time to get my EB's up to where they need to be.
            Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Hmm.... This utility trailer idea seems like it might be a viable option.

I have grown extremely accustomed to having a pickup truck and it is difficult to think about not having one - but as I mentioned before I'm starting to wonder if I'd get by without it and not really miss it. It has been hands down the most reliable and trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned, and even with nearly 154K miles on the odometer, it still runs great. I'm just starting to think that 154K miles is enough and maybe its time to move on. New trucks are damn expensive - it would cost me well over $30K to replace it with anything comparable.

The boat sat unused in my side yard for probably 3 of the 7.5 years I had it (granted it was a hand me down that only cost me registration and insurance to keep), but it was taking up space and deteriorating from neglect. A buddy bought it so at least it's "still in the family".

I know the EB would tow a utility trailer around town with no sweat. I might miss the convenience of a loaded pickup with AC and all the options, but the EB is so fun to drive, even with its spartan interior.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

OK my .02 on getting rid of your truck 1. is it paid for? If so see how much PL/PD Ins. would be. I have been to the con and Fordyce driving the bronco. it is a pain in the summer HOT. I was at the Rubcion 1 time and left the truck at home lost a wheel bearing (driver side) out side pollock Pines screw'S up the brake backing plate. Got it fixed so I thought. Went on up to the Con and kept getting a poping sound but it went away just as fast as it came. Started up the bowl and no go one of the guys I was wheeling with says I thought you had a locker it that I say I do well it's not working. So I turn around to come home broke the pass. axle and the driver won't move the Bronco. Axle was bent and won't hold a bearing. Spend the night on Loon Lake Dam Limp it to phone service call the wife (8:00 A.M.)to see if see can find any one to bring my truck and a friends trailer to pick us up. Well we find someone to come pick us up (10P.M.) and bring just us home get home about 3:00A.M.
                Than I go stright to bed till 10:00 A.M. go rent a trailer drive back to the Con and pick up the Bronco home 12:00 A.M.. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO A FARAWAY WHEELING TRIP WITH OUT MY TRUCK AND TRAILER. And if al else fail I can trailer someone else that is broken rolled won't run ECT. it will happen sooner or later.

Want to add my truck will sit for weeks some times but it sure is nice when I need it.
                Last edited by Bronco Brian; 06-11-2009, 04:20 PM.
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Run a 99 Xcab 4x4 Tacoma here, love the A/C cruise etc and my wife can handle the 5 spd. My Bronc isnt really a daily though
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Brian -
                    Yes my truck is paid for... bought it summer of 2000, and had the pink slip by February of 2002. I had very low expenses back then

I definitely hear you about the truck and trailer thing and maybe I'm being an optimist, but of my friends (and friends of friends) who wheel, nobody trailers their rigs, everybody drives to and from the trail. I know there are a lot of trailer pullers here on this site. My back up plan is 200 mile AAA towing service. That will get me home from Tahoe no sweat should I need it.

I would not consider my EB a daily driver unless I had no other choice, like the truck being in the shop for a week or something, but that's never happened (knock on wood).

It is not an easy decision to part ways with my truck and not replace it - it just seems to me that the EB can serve at least partial truck duty for me. As I mentioned earlier, this is just a wild idea at this point. I would really love to buy a new truck but the $40K price tag and the looming threat of $4.00 gas has me a little spooked at the moment. My truck is getting up there in miles though.

The more I've thought about it though today, the more a cheap 3rd car seems to make sense. Who knows what that will be, maybe a used TDI.

Thanks for the input guys.
                    Last edited by CityHick; 06-11-2009, 04:35 PM.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

If you maintained your truck that is not much. My work van has tonight 229292 on it. It just came back from its yearly inspection my boss drove it from Hayward to Ukiah Said wow for as old and as many miles that are on it, it sure runs good. tell him thats why I don't want someone else junk ( I don't drive enough mile to grt a new one just a new to me. the one I was using while mine was gone was 3 years newer and beat to s%^T
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

When you buy a newer car or truck, it is a consumption item. The value goes down as you use it and it gets older. Basically, you're pissing away money.

When you buy a classic vehicle, like an EB, the mileage doesn't matter and neither does the age. It's the condition that counts, and that is something most of us improve on as a hobby.

Sure, you won't get out what you put in, but you'll lose a hell of a lot less money than if you buy a new car/truck every 2-4 years. You can have two or three decent classics for the price of one new car.

I run a heep and a Bronco because one of them is always up on blocks for either a repair or an upgrade. We almost flat towed the heep to SW Oregon last fall, but scrambled up a trailer at the last minute. Thank God, because the rear end went out on us. It is nice to trailer a trail rig, but you don't need a $40,000 truck to do it. Buy an older truck, one that you can work on yourself.
                        70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

Comment

Mike - I agree with you about the rapid depreciation of newer vehicles - that is part of the reason I bought an EB vs. a new Jeep Rubicon.
                          The thing my truck has going for it the most is that I know its whole history as I am the original owner. Keeping it on the road has been little more than gas, tires, and oil. I've had a few small things come up but that's it.
                          I have actually thought about robbing it's powertrain and putting it all into a 70-72 Chevy pickup, but I'd miss the extended cab too much. (yes, I'm a closet Chevy guy who happens to like EBs and classic Mustangs, along with a few other old Fords).

I can't think of many classics that get decent mpg outside of a beetle, and I will not drive a beetle! It would be cool to have some kind of classic to commute in though.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

I used my Bronco as a daily driver for a couple of years and have a utility trailer that helped out hauling all kinds of gear and even got me through 2 moves! I had an '06 Mustang GT for awhile too that allowed me the down time on the Bronc to make some upgrades. Family forced the trade-in on the stang for something more practical as a dd, 2004 PSD crew cab. Now I can get the fam around AND have a tow rig/ hauler for extended trips with the Bronco. I LOVE having a truck again and it ain't bad on mileage being a diesel...

BTW, my first car was a beetle when I was 14 so don't knock'em too bad! Upgraded to a '76 Scout II w/ 392 V-8 when I was 17 and that thing was a TANK at 6200# GVWR...

Sounds to me like you need another EB with a fuel injected V-6 for a commuter!!!!!
                            Last edited by Fungus232; 06-12-2009, 08:11 AM.
                            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Just be sure to calculate total cost of ownership; not just fuel, but taxes, insurance, repairs and depreciation.

A bunch of idiots traded in their 20+ mpg rice burners for an expensive Prius, then the price of gas dropped. Even with expensive gas, they are most likely worse off with their purchase. Just wait till they have to replace the batteries at $6000+. You can buy a lot of gas for $6000+ (hell, you can buy another car, like an EB!)

Comment

Working...
                              X