Bonehead's tip of the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonehead's tip of the day!

We might have to make this a "sticky" for some good comical relief!

So here's my tech tip on things NOT to do while re-assembling your Dana-20 transfer case:

After modifying the rear shift rail for the twin stick mod one should be diligent in checking the "roundness" of the rail prior to installation in the boss, especially if you have welded on the detent for 4 wheel low in order to keep it from slipping out... This guy I "know" (at 11:00 p.m. or so, dog tired, after 1 beer and 1/2 a tumbler of Makers Mark bourbon), not thinking far enough in advance to realize that the SHIFT RAIL should slide smoothly through the boss in the case (shear nature of device), tried to force said shift rail in with a large brass dead blow hammer (technique only, NOT RECOMMENDED)...

Results:

This technique then requires one the use of 2 round punches (cause you break the 1st one), 1 large pair of vice grips, said brass dead blow hammer, 1 large bench vice and one hydraulic press. You then spend the next hour beating and twisting on the shift rail while using all of the above tools taking frequent breaks to cuss at yourself (for being an IDIOT) and refilling your tumbler with more Makers Mark! After successful removal of the shift rail you'll need to then make sure the rail is round... Once this is confirmed you'll need the use of the press to straighten out the BEND you put in it while beating the ever loving piss out of it... Shift rail should now operate as intended...

Respectfully submitted by,
    IM a DumbA$$
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: Bonehead's tip of the day!

LOL! That is a good one. I can't say that I haven't done a few of those bonehead moves in my lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Good one... we've all been there!

I did something very similar when trying to adapt the manual brake pushrod to the vacuum booster assembly. Found out that the part I damaged was not the easiest to come by but fortunately one of the vendors pulled one off a display for me...

I am not sure that deciding to start keeping cold beer in the garage was a wise move on my behalf.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        Good one... we've all been there!

I did something very similar when trying to adapt the manual brake pushrod to the vacuum booster assembly. Found out that the part I damaged was not the easiest to come by but fortunately one of the vendors pulled one off a display for me...

I am not sure that deciding to start keeping cold beer in the garage was a wise move on my behalf.
        Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if pouring a nice tall glass of Kentucky bourbon prior to heading into the garage is the best of plans... I did throw 2 ice cubes in it though!

Also, I started this thread to inspire those that "HAVE" to share their tech tips and wonderous stories of backyard buffoonery... That being said, feel free everyone!

Comment

Sounds like you should find a new shift rail to transplant...ugh...at least you really did get the square peg in the round hole....but you also had to get it out.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
            Sounds like you should find a new shift rail to transplant...ugh...at least you really did get the square peg in the round hole....but you also had to get it out.
            Should be good (I hope). I did get it out, sanded down and straightened and it seems to shift fine now...

And just so you know, the square peg is ALOT easier to get in the round hole than it is to get out!!!

Comment

Well HELL!!! Atleast you remembered to weld it!!! cuz I know a guy that did the mod but left that part out and keeps a little rubber snubber hooked to his shifter and is so pissed at himself!!!!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, we'll see how good of a job I did when I get this thing back on the trail!...

Comment

I just paid over a grand to have the auto tranny rebuilt in the buggy. After it was put in it was funny. Funny as in now it has no reverse unless under 400+ horsepower and does not have neutral. I thought the tranny shop did something. Apon tear down I found out the new bad dude AA output shaft in the tranny was an 1/8 inch to long bottoming out in the Atlas. Another 350$ now spent to tear open the tranny and replace the thrust washers because AA made the shaft too long . What's not funny is talking to a few people they said they had this issue as well.
                  Last edited by welndmn; 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Some guy I know did the twin stick on his 205 at about midnight, and promptly drove in the wrong freeze plug followed by the wrong shift rail pin. That one isn't nearly as easy to put back. He finally gave up around 2 am after ruining the roll pin. Btw, the front shift rail does NOT come out without additional disassembly.
                    72 under the knife for a 435, 203-205, spooled 9, lockright 44. hydroboost,

Comment

Might have said this before, but don't put the front jack stands right behind the radius arm mounts and then pull the rear axle.

From what I have heard, it will tip over forwards.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
                        Might have said this before, but don't put the front jack stands right behind the radius arm mounts and then pull the rear axle.

From what I have heard, it will tip over forwards.
                        That's a Kodak moment right there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                          Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if pouring a nice tall glass of Kentucky bourbon prior to heading into the garage is the best of plans... I did throw 2 ice cubes in it though!
                          Semper Fu*king FI Mac!

Rum and Coke....the Captain never lets you down.
                          Brad
                          Chico, Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Formerjughead View Post
                            Semper Fu*king FI Mac!

Rum and Coke....the Captain never lets you down.

Speaking of which... heading up to Chico this weekend Juggy for a week or so! Obviously the rig ain't gonna make this trip... We'll have to get together for drink or 5!...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                              Speaking of which... heading up to Chico this weekend Juggy for a week or so! Obviously the rig ain't gonna make this trip... We'll have to get together for drink or 5!...
                              Now you tell me.............what day are you comming up? I am heading over to Ft. Bragg for the weekend.
                              Brad
                              Chico, Ca.

Comment

Working...
                              X