dumbass of the day award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dumbass of the day award

After my Deer Valley trip a couple of weeks ago, it was time to rebuild my hubs and spindles. Bought a set of new Warn hubs, new hub and spindle bearings, etc.

Everything went back together just fine and the rig was back to normal, with hubs that actually reliably lock. Life was good. Last weekend to put a few more break-in miles on the ol' horse, I drove over to Santa Cruz for the day. During moderate to hard braking, my rig was pulling hard to the left - a scary amount. I finally found the culprit. Anybody care to venture a guess? I'll give a hint, it had nothing to do with the hubs or bearings.

PS - I just fixed it, and the rig is stopping like a champ again. My neighbors must love my laps around the block at dusk, 2500rpm shifts and all. It is becoming an all too common occurrence!
    Last edited by CityHick; 07-23-2009, 08:15 PM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: dumbass of the day award

the adult beverage store is on the left

Comment

Brake pads swapped form inside to outside?
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Loose lug nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
          Brake pads swapped form inside to outside?
          Close!

The inner brake pad somehow shifted during install and was only partially engaging with the disk on the right front brake. The rig was still stopping reasonably well but I had to countersteer which really sucked. All is well now, fortunately it was nothing bigger and I didn't have any problems last weekend.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Annoy the neighbors!
            70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
              Annoy the neighbors!
              I do they all get to see the Bronco on jack stands But some come buy to see how its going
              Last edited by Bronco Brian; 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM.
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                I do they all get to see the Bronco on jack stands But some come buy to see how its going
                My neighboors comment on my Grey EB on jack stands. I remind them that at least they are not milk cartons.
                Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

I am glad we have an electric gate.. My neighbors don't act too happy when I am tearing something down. And +1 on driving it around test driving it. I don't ever try to purposefully piss them off but sometimes whompin on it is the only way to test it

Comment

Originally posted by LilRedBronco View Post
                    I am glad we have an electric gate.. My neighbors don't act too happy when I am tearing something down. And +1 on driving it around test driving it. I don't ever try to purposefully piss them off but sometimes whompin on it is the only way to test it
                    My neighbors overall are totally cool with my "testing", even when I broke the cam in with open exhaust, and the subsequent laps around the block with open exhaust! They are used to me by now, they've had 7.5 years to acclimate to my noisy ways. It began with my home remodel and has continued through many other projects...
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Nobody can see my place....I'm hiding out in the woods.
                      70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Working...
                      X