Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop status?

OK,

This rickety old barn is one step closer to acheving shop status....I finally have concrete. I wan't sure what this weather was going to do to the slab, but we dodged a bullet, and the concrete is down. I'll post more pic's later on as they finish the slab, but so far......SO GOOD. I think the hardest thing now will be staying off it till next week.

Enjoy,

Galen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 720Racer; 03-02-2006, 11:23 AM.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Damn Nice!!
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I have always wanted a barn to do my work in, one day one day.

I love it and lookin good so far as progress goes!

Comment

Here's a few pic's of the finished slab. The trowel marks look a lot less dramatic in person.

Galen
        Attached Files

Comment

Looks awesome Galen!!

Comment

Get your initials in it yet? PM me where you are in Auburn. I'm heading up to my cabin outside of Nevada City Sat AM (to play in/check the snow) and might stop by

Looks sweet by the way!

Rick-
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Nice, What are your plans for the motiff of the shop>>>>>> and . Sounds like a good place start.

Chris
              70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Rick,

PM sent, come on by and check it out. I'm sure you'll find the snow, it's not far from here. Yesterday my first choice for concrete was "snowed in" and I had to change at the last minute to a more expensive company. Hope we can hook up.

Chris,
                I was thinking of a , , , , , , , motiff. However, this might be subject to change depending on the progress on the 69. I think I'll start drinking now, you know kinda like stretching before you work out.

Galen

Comment

Looking good. How big is it? What are your plans for heating and or cooling it?

If you need an HVAC guy let me know, I need a good reason to get out of the valley
                  71, 302, 435, 20, spool rear, ARB front, 35's,3.5sl 2"bl
                  nodular 3rd 1350 yoke disks allaround and on the road again

Comment

The entire building is about 3200 SF, but the cocrete is about 1123 SF (for now). It's at least 35 years old, and the eve's are open to the elements, so the wind really cuts though it. I was thinking about small propane or diesel heater when it's cold, just move it around to where I'm working. As for cooling I have a large swamp cooler (about 4x4x4) that I will mount on the side of the barn when it get's warm enough to need it. I may look for someone to bend me up 20 feet of ducting with a few regesters on it so I can direct the flow, but I need to see how well that cooler works first. It's got a 1/3 hp, 2 speed motor, and it's side vent so it's just about right for a shop. Once I get to building the 69, head up and check it out. Santa's welcome year round at my house. I'd like to have some members over later on this spring if it works out. BBQ, shoot the bull, check out everyone's rigs. I should have a bender here, and we can flex some rigs out with my bobcat. Maybe even go on a little run.

Galen

Comment

I built myself a workbench yesterday. It's 42" tall, 32" deep and 24' long. Nicely lit with 4 dual 32 watt flourcent light fixtures. Framed out of 2x6 and the bench top is 3/4" CDX. I still need to build a steel welding table, but this will be a good start.

Galen
                      Attached Files

Comment

So today I moved the donor truck and both bronco's on to the slab. (I also got the GF's YJ, it needs a little work on the ignition, wiring gremlins). My new shop felt pretty spacious this morning, now it feels like I got a lot to do!!! Better have a and think about it. Lots of Bronco improvements between the 66 (green w/ 33's) and the 69 (burgandy, uncut, 235's). I'll be pulling the axles out of the donor truck first, and then I'll start taking the 69 apart. I'll start another thread over in projects then.

Galen
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by 720Racer; 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Galen
                          Looking good, When are you going to start moving the tools. Now you have stuff to tinker with now you need tools. I like the nice long bench.... you can never have to much bench space. BBQ sound like a plan, Aubrn is perfect weather in the spring. I'll be waitin for the plans. I just posted some pics of my current task in the Beginning thread. Check it out.
                          Chris
                          70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

I've got most of my tools down there now. In the first picture you can see my roll away behind the 69. If I can get that YJ running tomorrow, I'll start taking the donor truck apart. I'm expecting a few comments about a J**P in the stable, but my strategy is get her J**P running first, then she won't be as irritated when I'm in the shop till 10:00 every night. I don't know how much I'll get done next week, I've got a few things to take care of, but now that all the players are in the shop, we'll see some progress. I had to replace my air compressor today, but it worked out for the best. I found a 15 amp, 110 volt, 60 gallon upright compressor on CL, and so far it hasn't tripped the breaker. This lets me leave my wiring alone, and get to work on the Bronco. The only test left is to see if the welder pops the breaker or not. I think it'll be fine, my old compressor was 20 amps, and it wouldn't run in the shop, and sometimes it wouldn't run in the garage either. The welder never had a problem in the garage. (The price of the compressor was about 25% of what it would have cost to redo the wiring 250 ft x 3 of 00 cable...ouch).

Galen
                            Last edited by 720Racer; 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Ya, that damn copper cost some $$$. I wanted to up grade my shop and add a 250 amp service and they wanted 6-8 k to do it. They would have to run more conduit and copper to the main panel 300 ft away. The hanger was designed for aircraft storage not a shop so I only have a 100 amp service. So far I have had no problems, but I go 220v to cut the amp draw on any large Electric tool I buy.... it seams to work!

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X