Electric Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Help

I picked up a used Campbell Haufeld Air Compresser with a 5HP motor. Model # HS2810 A

I can't find out what size breaker I need for it. The motor is a Doerr Emerson Electric LR22132 any one know what size breaker I can use?
    Thanks for any help
    Brian
    http://www.chpower.com/webapp/wcs/st...ndModel=HS2810
    Last edited by Bronco Brian; 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM.
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Re: Electric Help

30 amp.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

X2 I have a 30amp breaker on a dedicated circuit with wire size of 10-2 with a ground.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I agree with the dedicated circuit but a 20amp circuit is more than enough for that compresser. Don't forget that you also need a switch or a way to disconnect power at the compresser if it is to far away from the breaker.
        Ken
        Last edited by BRONKEN; 10-25-2009, 05:47 PM.
        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

I ran a 30 amp 220 circuit to the garage to run my compressor and my welder (not both at the same time mind you). As Bronken said, if your breaker is not in the garage, you should have a disconnect somewhere within line of sight of the receptacle. My disconnect is small breaker box with a disconnect (looks just like a breaker, but is just a switch) and its on the back wall of my garage, near the outlet.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

This will be in my storage shed I have 80 Amp sub panel to it.(but only 50 Amp braker to it) 40Amps is for the Hot Tub. plan is to turn H/T off to run Compresser and will only be 10' from sub panel. Than I will plumb the air to the garage and carport.
            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

By H/T do you mean hard tap? You should never "hard tap". Always be sure to have the proper size protection for the guage of wire you are running. If your panel does not have the breaker space you need then you need to install a panel with more breaker space.
              69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONKEN View Post
                By H/T do you mean hard tap? You should never "hard tap". Always be sure to have the proper size protection for the guage of wire you are running. If your panel does not have the breaker space you need then you need to install a panel with more breaker space.

NO I want to be safe that why I am asking
                H/T = Hot Tub I have breaker space has room for 7 or 8 and I an only using 2 now. Proper size wire is why I will need to turn the Hot Tub off to use the Compresser. From the front of the house I have at least 6 gage wire comming out of my main panel (witch has breaker space) running about 50 to 60 feet. That goes to my storage shed to the sub panel that has 2 20Amp breakers for the Hot Tub in it. One for the pump one for the heater.
                Would be nice to just rewire to a heavier gage to run both. But wire is expensive
                Last edited by Bronco Brian; 10-25-2009, 08:02 PM. Reason: added more info

Comment

I can't tell from the link provided if it is 110 or 220 (I assume single phase), but here is some basic math:

1 HP = 750 Watts.

5 hp = 3750 Watts.

Current = Power (Watts) / Voltage

3750W/110 Vrms = 34 amps

3750W/220 Vrms = 17 amps

This is the average current draw at 5 hp, so the breaker must be rated at greater than the average current.

(Yes, wire is expensive, but so are fires. ha ha).

You can check the voltage drop of your wire gauge and length here:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
                  Last edited by Sierra Backwoods; 10-26-2009, 08:59 AM.
                  70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Thanks 30 AMP works fine the funny thing is my wife works for an Elec. supply house there chart showed that I was to use a 60 AMP breaker. And I just felt that was to much.

Comment

Working...
                    X