Chopping fenders/quarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopping fenders/quarters

Getting ready to start chopping this weekend to get 37's underneath. Got the WH warflares. I think I know best way to start chopping but thought I would check to see if anyone has any good tricks to save time.

Thx

Re: Chopping fenders/quarters

air nibbler
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Find a way to clamp your warflares in place, trace them onto your fenders and remove them. Mark a cut line an inch or so below your flare line. I highly recommend a pneumatic body saw, they are much more accurate and controllable than a sawzall and don't generate any heat like a plasma cutter does.

Plan on slight modifications once you've got your new tires on. I get a small amount of rubbing on the flares in the rear which would be easily correctable by expanding the opening less than an inch. Its not enough to worry about really.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Plasma!!! ask rick...... did his fenders in 3 minutes...
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
          Find a way to clamp your warflares in place, trace them onto your fenders and remove them. Mark a cut line an inch or so below your flare line. I highly recommend a pneumatic body saw, they are much more accurate and controllable than a sawzall and don't generate any heat like a plasma cutter does.

Plan on slight modifications once you've got your new tires on. I get a small amount of rubbing on the flares in the rear which would be easily correctable by expanding the opening less than an inch. Its not enough to worry about really.
          Tony is right....This is the best way to do it..... But I have found cutting with a plasma was easier, no vibration on the fender. Better than the saw...

A
          KK6DAD
          70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I would suggest starting with the left rear first. Once you get your flare
            situated to your liking around the gas caps then you can make the other
            three match that one...

Comment

If you think you will ever stretch your wheelbase, then before you cut, make sure your rear flares are moved back to your liking. You can always make the opening bigger, but it is really time consuming to shrink the opening if you go too big!
              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thank you guys!

Comment

Plasma was the easiest/fastest as Aaron said....
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

think, think and think some more about how/where you are going to cut. I cut mine and now I regret the way I did it. I wish I would have done it a couple inches back from where I did the cutting.
                    Vacaville, Ca
                    67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by efibroncoman View Post
                      if you think you will ever stretch your wheelbase, then before you cut, make sure your rear flares are moved back to your liking.
                      x2
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

If you don't have the plasma...you can use tin snips....I cut all four with snips by hand...
                        70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

x2 with the tin snips. I cut mine out this way also. More control and more precise. Just don't leave any burrs.
                          67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                          69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                          69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                          79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                          67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

An air nibbler is really fast and easy, and it does great smooth cuts.
                            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                            X