lets see your custom parking brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets see your custom parking brakes!

i just picked up a hand brake from a toyota, and im wondering if anyone else has done a hand brake so i can get started on the right foot of what all i will need and such.

i got the 78 bronco parking brake cables on the back.
    Last edited by broncomitch; 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM.
    1970 bronco sport,built 351w,built c6 ,np205, 1tons,44's on H1's,ez wiring,tbrid EFI, 3link front & 4link rear.

Re: lets see your custom parking brakes!

My custom parking brake is putting the trany in 1st and turning the engine off. Got to love high compression, and low gears. Someday, I plan on putting on line locks though.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Well, I saw a real high tech parking brake in a 4x4 magazine once. It was a wheel chock tied to a rope! I plan to build a similar parking brake but I am still running drum brakes on my 79 bronco rear axle, and the emergency brake cables will run right up my lower link arms.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I use line locks or like Marc first gear. Problem is you cant use line locks in an emergency situation. Someday I would like to do a transfer case ebrake set up.
        WT 4x4
        91' One Ton Bronco
        1971 Bronco
        9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Reverse in low/low, and a chunk of 4x6
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

In order to statisfy the King of the Hammers rule book, on Jeff Mello's rig, I welded a nut to the cage and used a bolt to capture the cutting brakes.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

hahaha, very funny guys

I don't like the hole waight of the bronco sitting on that park gear when im up on a hill or what not...thus why im doing it.

I might fiddle with it today or tomarrow. first i got to fiddle with my duff bracket.
              1970 bronco sport,built 351w,built c6 ,np205, 1tons,44's on H1's,ez wiring,tbrid EFI, 3link front & 4link rear.

Comment

I got the e-brake handle out of Honda Civic or something like that. Bolted it to the floor where the tank selector used to be. It came equipped with a 6mm threaded stud at the end of the ratchet handle. So I made a connector nut by welding a 6mm coupler nut to a 1/4-20 coupler nut. That was then connected to the stock e-brake cable bar under the bronco (the U-channel with holes from the cable ends). It worked alright, but I think it didn't pull quite enough cable to get the brakes locked up tight. Then I went to disc and didn't want to spring for the discs with parking brake... Kinda regret that now. I still have the bracket sitting in my garage, might be able to take a picture if you want.

Probably look into a t-case brake at some point. If I come up with something simple and easy, maybe I'll put a kit together for anyone interested on here.

Comment

well i got a good start on it, i mounted the hand brake and cut off the old bracket that my cables are held on too and re welded it above the rear axle and started to run a cable when i noticed my side cable off the axle is locked up. so i started working on other stuff..

Comment

I use a hand brake out of a old toyota truck however I didn't engineer it well enough so you have to put ALOT of might behind it(yank the sh%t out of it) to get it to really hold. I have wanted to redesign it for a while but getting the thing back on the road is first priority. So if you plan on doing a hand brake be sure to engineer your pivot points in order to take full advantage of the lever action. Unless you want to build your arms up.
                    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

Working...
                    X