AC Conversions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Conversions

Anyone used one of those conversion kits at the auto parts stores? I want to try one on my 92 Ranger. Someone at work said he used one and did not have to change anything other than the freon.
    Last edited by kwspony; 06-25-2010, 11:47 AM.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Re: AC Conversions

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
    Anyone used one of those conversion kits at the auto parts stores? I want to try one on my 92 Ranger. Someone at work said he used one and did not have to change anything other than the freon.
    I wonder how long the system would last. You typically have to change out o rings and the oil....
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

that is what I thought but my friend said he did not have to. I have the DVD from the kit and will watch it today to see how it works.
      1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

IMO don't..just get a new filter dryer and new seals..and refill with R12...it can be found..I've got about 60lbs

Lots of info here:http://www.allpar.com/eek/ac.html
        Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

my current system isn't working. I had it looked at but it would have cost too much for them to run all their tests befor filling it. I am thinking about doing it though. summer is coming!!!

Comment

Theres a place up off Fulton, Hal's 485.9215, thats the place I send guys to. Last time I think it was $35.... Then I buy the parts and fix
            68 Slightly modified
            67 LUBR once again
            61 Willy Wagon

Comment

R12 is stupid expensive, and R134A works just as good. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know how to do A/C work very well. As for the conversion, you need to install the quick disconnects on the old compression style fittings and flush the system. R12 uses mineral oil, R-134a uses ester oil. I can do all the work in my garage, very simple.... It's honestly not rocket science. But the system does need to be able to pull a vacuum, so if there are leaks then they will have to be fixed. Air has moisture in it, any moisture present will decrease the efficiency of your system.
              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I had it charged when I got it running. It worked for 2 years. The third year it would work for awhile, then stop working. Seemed to work fine until it heated up on the way home. I don't think there is any serious leaks though. Can you evacuate my system or should I take it to a shop for that?

Comment

Maybe buy now it evacuated itself I have gauges and a vac pump.... Jacob is probably closer though...
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

If it's only working sometimes then it probably leaked down to where the low pressure switch can't decide if it wants to stay closed or open. I can't evacuate it, but if it is already empty, I can do the work and re-charge it... After i make sure there aren't any leaks of course. Many times a slow leak is a bad A/C compressor.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

well I watched the video and it seems to easy. evacuate the system, install adapters on the valves and fill it. I think I am going to try it soon.

Comment

when gm had us retrofit from 12to 134 they said we had to go to teflon hoses.flush and refill with pag 150 oil and replace the orofice tube,dryer and low press cycle switch as well as put in a bigger condensor. later bulletins were excluded the hose and condensor replacement. my 90 has had 134 in it with just pag and the 134 orofice since 1992 when the compressor took a dump and cools just as good as the 12 when it's working right.
                        6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

For some reason when R134a conversions first came out you HAD to replace the Receiver/dryer, hoses, fittings, oil, flush the system, and swap to the green o-rings. Now, I don't know what had changed, but all you need to do is loctite on some new conversion fittings on your old R12 fittings, suck a vacuum on the system, do the math on how much R134a you need (R134a requires like 25% less) and you're done.

I have everything you may need, but really Harbor Freight sells a decent vacuum pump for cheap, that's about the only thing you really need. I would suggest buying an A/C O-ring kit from Napa and replace your O-rings just because it's cheap and easy. The lines either thread off or have quick connect fittings like the EFI fuel lines.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Anytime you crack open an A/C system you should replace the dryer. And the secret to getting the conversion to work good is using 20% less R-134a than what the sticker calls for R-12. I have a digital scale that makes it easy to get the right amount.

Comment

the DVD did mention the 20% difference. maybe this payday I will buy the kit and try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X