Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford HP O-ring repair

The water pump thread got me thinking.
    I need to fix the leak on a friends 7.3 on the High Pressure O-ring thingy, anyone seen a good write up with tips?
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Re: Ford HP O-ring repair

I have seen it done many a time at Chips shop Mark. No big deal, It can be done in 10 min. pull the hoses, pull the fittings and replace the o-rings and reassemble.. clean area with brake cleaner first and check for leaks afterwards.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I did all mine. Pretty easy. I had to cut and grind down a wrench to make the job easier.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Sounds easy!
        It's been leaking for about 50,000 miles so something tells me I will be spending most of my time cleaning.
        Are the O rings a Ford part only?
        Mark Harris

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
          Sounds easy!
          It's been leaking for about 50,000 miles so something tells me I will be spending most of my time cleaning.
          Are the O rings a Ford part only?

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...ngs-p-101.html

One of the sources. I got mine directly from the dealer for the same price. If the galley of the engine is filled with oil, you are onthe right track. If it is draining down the backside making what looks like a rear main leak, it may be oil pan or turbo o rings.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I think it was leaking from the HP o-ring a few years back :LMAO:
            I really need to steal his truck and wash it. That's the main reason I've taken so long to even deal with it.
            Mark Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel View Post
              http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...ngs-p-101.html

One of the sources. I got mine directly from the dealer for the same price. If the galley of the engine is filled with oil, you are onthe right track. If it is draining down the backside making what looks like a rear main leak, it may be oil pan or turbo o rings.
              There is a drain hole at the rear of the valley and when the o-rings leak, it can go down the back of the motor and look like a rear main seal leak.
              77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Originally posted by fordnut77 View Post
                There is a drain hole at the rear of the valley and when the o-rings leak, it can go down the back of the motor and look like a rear main seal leak.
                Yes but the galley won't be wet if its the turbo.

Comment

Did mine about 3 years ago. Took way longer than 10 minutes, probably more like 1.5hr or so but it fixed the leak.

Bummer I have now is the "non servicable" oring on the bottom of the HPOP is now leaking. Ford says that the pump lists for $1200 and about 3 hrs labor. Luckily I have an 'in" at the dealearship for discount parts and labor but even then its going to be $800 or so.

The alternative is that a local diesel shop, Imler Diesel says they can R&R and reseal the pump for about $500 parts and labor.

The good news for me is that I just bought a Mazda3 daily driver so the truck has been retired to work and play only, no more daily driver miles!!! therefore the oil leak seems to be much less worse in the last month.

Back on topic... Check over at DieselStop (I think that is the Ford Diesel forum) lots of good reads there.
                  1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Working...
                  X