Off Topic... trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic... trailers

As some of you know, I recently acquired a rolling trailer frame that needs some work before it'll be ready for Bronco hauling duty. I'm building it to serve double duty - it'll be a flatbed car hauler and a heavy duty utility trailer with removable side boards. I'm going to be sharing this trailer with my dad, and I will likely only haul the Bronco on it for farther away trips - Moab, Southern CA, Oregon, etc. I still like driving my Bronco to and from the "local" trails.

With my intended purposes in mind, I'm almost ready to put a deck on my newly-improved trailer frame and have some questions:

-What type of wood works best as a trailer deck? 2x8 fir? Pressure treated? Hardwood?
    -Does anybody know of a good lumber yard (anywhere in the Bay Area or Sacramento area) that stocks the right stuff at a reasonable price?
    -What kind of finish have you treated your trailer deck with?

I am certain that decking it with steel or aluminum is way out of my budget, so I'm sticking to lumber. I want something strong that will last reasonably well and look decent too. Part of my structural improvements has been to add cross members so that the decking will be supported about every 22 inches. Half the cross members were there - I doubled the amount by adding some 2x3 3/16" wall square tube, and welded them in.

Any input is appreciated...
    -Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Off Topic... trailers

My trailer is decked with untreated fir. it is now about 15 years old and in need of a new deck. I guess painting it or treating it would have helped it last longer. If you really want bullitproof stuff, the lowbeds are decked with Apitong hardwood. that stuff holds up to cat track and other heavy equip for years.
    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

My deck is also untreated Doug fir 2x8. I would not use preasure treated as I think it is soft and junk!
      Jack
      73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I've read about that apitong hardwood, but I've not found anywhere local that stocks it so I have no idea about pricing.

Sounds like two votes for untreated fir though... that's good because that stuff is readily available.

Thanks guys.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

I'm just going back down with fir then maybe seal it off with some ducks back or somthing.. reg deck sealer just to fend the water off.
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Check trailer supply companies that sell parts for semi-trailers... I don't know what else Apitong is used for but most big trailers use it for decking. Try Cal West Truck & Trailer Specs (916) 372-8373, or Hd Distribution (916) 375-1695. They might have Apitong or know where you can get it.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I think Cook's truck body rebuilt a flatbed on one of our work trucks with that. If I remember right you can put metal down for less than that costs.
              Real nice deck though.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

My vote is for fir. It'll last longer than you think even untreated and replacement costs and availability for planks can't be beat by any other option. Quick, easy, cheap and holds up well. What else can you ask for in a utility trailer...
                sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Go with apitong and treat it with lind seed oil, we have about 30 trailers and we use this.
                  Check with a trailer shop , or let me know how much.
                  1971 BRONCO, 89 5.0 HO, NP435, D20, D44 CTM Superior Detroit , Currie big bearing housing 31 spline Detroit

Comment

Just found apitong on line for 2.99 a ft for 6" wide lumbar. That is awful pricy for a utility/car trailer
                    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                      Just found apitong on line for 2.99 a ft for 6" wide lumbar. That is awful pricy for a utility/car trailer

Way too much! I priced 2x6 and 2x8 fir at Home Depot earlier... $5-7 per board for 16' lumber. Apitong would be nice and all, but I can't see paying that price. I have a little more structural work to complete on the trailer, but it started raining so I had to take the welder back into the garage. I guess it'll just have to wait.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

I used 2x12 Doug fir.
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yeah just run the Doug fir, whatever size you want and seal it up. I rather replace every 5 years for that kind of coin.

Comment

I used cut offs of glue lames (Free) 1.5"x12" I painted ALL the side at least 2 times use porch paint for the top coat.(has sand in it) Has sat in the sun, rain, Snow and what ever Mother Nature can dish out. Holding up well for the last 7+ years.
                            Last edited by Bronco Brian; 10-18-2010, 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
                            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by daves View Post
                              Go with apitong and treat it with lind seed oil, we have about 30 trailers and we use this.
                              Check with a trailer shop , or let me know how much.
                              Fir with the lind seed oil works great just make sure that you don't leave the rags wadded up in the corner of your garage or any where else. I've been on many a house/shop fire that was started by rags self combusting and lind seed oil is one of the most volatile.

Comment

Working...
                              X