CityHick goes to Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CityHick goes to Nevada

Tony's interested in Nevada trip info. So here I go, giving away my most closely held travel secrets

So howthehell did I get on this Nevada kick, anyway? For starters, numerous road trips with my wife, starting back in (gasp) the late 70's, that took us through that state made me realize that there's a whole lot more out there than hot, flat, dry boring desert. Took a few motorcycle trips around the west that included US 50 and US 93. Pretty country along those roads, though I was usually going too fast to look closely. Ironically learning to fly was what got me really interested in what was on the ground. I flew across the state a few times in the late 90's and realized there is one range after another of really high mountains with no one in them, and there are dirt roads (mostly left over from prospecting and mining) all over the place. Plus I saw canyons filled with aspens turning color. Where there are aspens there is water. Hmmm.

I've found my Bronco to be a pretty good campmobile. I don't trailer, ever (don't own a trailer or a means to tow one). Which explains my hard top and some of the equipment decisions I've made. Including keeping dual gas tanks. Fuel is a real problem; I've gone 400+ miles between fuel stops over there.

But I digress. I started by ordering a full set of maps from the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest headquarters office, then sitting down with those and a AAA Nevada map. Those were ok for the first few trips. Then I discovered the DeLorme Nevada atlas. Better yet. These days I prefer the Benchmark Nevada atlas. They do a better job of indicating road quality. I found some routes in the DeLorme atlas that were shown to be major thoroughfares to be 4wd tracks. Not that that was a bad thing, but when you are planning multi-day trips covering close to 1000 miles, it's helpful to know in advance.

These days I increasingly find information on the web (too much, since I'm selfish and I wish it was a little harder to find, but then here I go posting stuff). I've found interesting threads on expeditionportal.com and wanderthewest.com, among other places. Experience helps. The more I go the better I've gotten to know the state. I finally started using a GPS this year. Not absolutely necessary, but with 1:24,000 topos containing great road databases, it helped resolve some questions. Like, should I take this 2-track that disappears into the sagebrush or that one that goes off at a 10 degree angle to the other one? Seriously, that's happened. Then there is the matter that almost everything is government land, and almost none of it is posted. Rarely I come across someone's mining claim. If it's posted, I stay out. Simple. Then there are the military areas, obviously those are off-limits, but equally obviously well-posted and easy to avoid. Beyond that, the amount of land open to cross-country travel is breathtaking. And since most Americans still think it's hot, flat, dry and dusty, you won't have too much company

So basically, you can't go wrong. Start with a Benchmark Atlas. Focus on the areas that include Toiyabe forest, as those tend to be the highest and most scenic. Even in the middle of summer it doesn't get super hot- most of the ground is above 6000 feet in the middle of the state, a lot of places are above 7000. Multi-vehicle trips are a must unless you keep to heavily traveled areas. I've traveled roads that may see 5-10 vehicles a year. A long walk or a long wait for help. I have 30+ gallons of tankage. I still carry a 20 liter NATO can. And 12 gallons of water.

Oh yeah. Google Earth is helpful too, but it's pretty difficult to tell if a road is passable or not, and since it's not real-time, it won't tell you if something is snowed in (a distinct possibility until mid-July in some places). But it's a fun tool.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Re: CityHick goes to Nevada

Cool... thanks Lars!
    I think you sent some of this to me by email some time ago... but that was before a catastrophic hard drive failure and I didn't have my email backed up at the time (doh!). I'm already thinking that a Nevada trip might work its way into my plans for spring/summer 2011.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
      Cool... thanks Lars!
      I think you sent some of this to me by email some time ago... but that was before a catastrophic hard drive failure and I didn't have my email backed up at the time (doh!). I'm already thinking that a Nevada trip might work its way into my plans for spring/summer 2011.
      Think late Spring. The pix I posted in the Rubicon thread were typical; that was the last week in March of this year. We had snow above 6900 feet all over the state. To the unfamiliar, 6900 feet may sound high. But that's typical. Tonopah is 6000 feet. Having to stay below 7000 excludes a bunch of interesting areas. Even June would be fine in the higher areas. 85 degree days. Compared to June in Davis, that sounds blissful 8^)

Comment

That would be a blast! Been through Toiyabe a number of times from the 395 side, just camping exploring. Would love to do a longer trip!
        68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I'm in! I've been wanting the explore the ghost town area of Pine Grove for a few years now in spring, never made it, though.

I spent the last couple of days in Minden on business.
          70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Feeling sentimental, thinking back on the Spring trip. I may have posted this before, but I added some pix. Click on "Slideshow" in the upper right corner.

This wasn't a wheeling trip like the Rubicon, though we did need 4wd quite a bit because of snow & mud. Put 1500 miles on the Bronco in 8 days, about 500 of that was dirt. Last week of March, this year.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/11860...25086826_6kcYY

Comment

Is that the famous (and very rare) Nevada Lars-a-lope in that last picture?

Paul
              Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
              www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
              68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I'd love to go on a trip out there. I'd prefer to trailer it to a jump-off spot just because I like cruising in the Duramax with the XM on down the highway at 80 MPH.
                70 rebuilt 302, Edelbrock Performer intake and carb, C4, 20 w/aftermarket gears & HD output, D44 w/Power-lock, disks, 4:88, 9 in Detroit, PS, PB, winch, lights, rock bumpers, full cage, 3 1/2" WH lift, 2" body lift, IROK 37's, 23 gal tank

"70" CJ-5 ('58 frame, '70 tub, '72 running gear, '80 motor) 350 sbc, 5 1/2 in lift, 35's, PS, PB, full cage, lockers, 5.38's re-gear spring over going in soon.

And a bunch of other crap, some of them run.....

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
                  Is that the famous (and very rare) Nevada Lars-a-lope in that last picture?

Paul
                  It took some doing to catch it sitting still, but yep

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra Backwoods View Post
                    I'd love to go on a trip out there. I'd prefer to trailer it to a jump-off spot just because I like cruising in the Duramax with the XM on down the highway at 80 MPH.
                    I cruise in the Bronco with the Ipod on at 80 mph

OK, I lied. More like 75. One bennie of the insulated-to-death hardtop. It does quiet things. That, and for some reason the Beard seats that I installed cradle my bad back better than just about any new car or truck I've driven in during the last 5 years. Which is strange because just climbing in they don't seem that great. My back is bad enough that it keeps me from sleeping at night, so I'll put up with a lot of other indignities, including the inside of a less-than-sophisticated old Bronco, to avoid the pain. But don't take that as a judgment of your ride. If you have the trailer and a means to tow it, roll in comfort
                    Last edited by Lars; 11-08-2010, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Good fun, loved it!

So, those of you who have spent any time on the Expedition forums will find these totally hilarious!

Part 1: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7339561/

Part 2: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7343377/

Part 3: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7343717/

Part 4: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick
                        Good fun, loved it!

So, those of you who have spent any time on the Expedition forums will find these totally hilarious!

Part 1: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7339561/

Part 2: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7343377/

Part 3: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7343717/

Part 4:http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7348071/
                        THAT was funny!

Comment

Working...
                        X