Tire vulcanizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire vulcanizing

Anybody know of a place that will vulcanize a tire? I have a about a three inch slash in my 40 inch KM2 tire. Just wondering if I could have it fixed and save the tire. I guess the second option would be to put a tube in it, but don't really want to do that unless there is no other option.
    Last edited by crawlin68; 10-28-2011, 06:33 PM.

Re: Tire vulcanizing

There's a DIY kit that works good used it twice on different repairs. If i can find the kit online I will post it.
    75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Pat, I had a similar dilemma with the last set of tires on my daily driver - I somehow got a puncture on the sidewall right near the tread. Due to the overly litigious society we live in, regardless of how the tire gets repaired - damage past a certain imaginary boundary line on the tire renders it a liability and there wasn't a shop to be found willing to touch mine.

Numerous shop owners gave me the same story; fear of lawsuits keeps them from doing anything beyond simple nail hole patches within the acceptable "zone". Apparently there have been cases of repaired tires blowing, causing accidents and the blame fell back on the shop for doing the repair.

I hope you can prove this wrong but this was my experience.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

EFIBroncoman just got two sidewall patches on his mtr that he slashed at b-fest. saw the fix at PC and it looked ok and it was now a dedicated spare. he put one on the inside and one out. they are all at the con. catch them sunday!
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Not the same kit but similar
          http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=15
          75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Of course I can't go down the street to the local Big O, Americas Tire, cookie cutter type shop. They don't have the equipment or know how to do vulcanizing. I need a shop that specializes in vulcanizing. I imagine this is going to be some kind of agriculture tire shop. I will need to tell them that it's for offroad use only and is only a spare tire.

Kevin, I never thought about doing something like this myself. I'll have to look into that. Although I think I would rather have a professional do something like this.

Comment

To be fair I did contact a shop that does tractor tires, they heard this was for a vehicle and told me to go away. Maybe its a bay area thing, hope you have better luck.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

I know a guy that knows where to get this done will try to get ahold of him tomorrow and get the skinny
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

I've read big rig truck tire places can do this.

Comment

Search Pirate in the NorCal area, their were a couple up here, I have to get a 37 mtr done also. Guess I will look also
                    68 Slightly modified
                    67 LUBR once again
                    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I have a guy up here that does it for me.
                      Find a retread shop they can do it, tell them it is offroad use only
                      1971 BRONCO, 89 5.0 HO, NP435, D20, D44 CTM Superior Detroit , Currie big bearing housing 31 spline Detroit

Comment

If you end up doing it yourself.....its easy. I had a tire that had a hole simaler and now its good as new other than the visable patch. Been on a few trips with it and all is well.
                        Used patches and vulcanizing cement from perma-top
                        70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

Check out Bandag, they have several locations including two in Sacramento. I called them about my MTR and they said it would cost about $50 and it would hold air without a tube but should never be used on the street again. I hope I never have to use the tire that I patched because I'm not sure if the patches will actually hold. But in an emergency it should work....
                          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

There is a Goodyear Retread place in Tracy that does them, cash only...

Find a truckstop in your area and just ask who does vulcanizing, go there with cash and tell them it's for for farm truck that never leaves your farm.

Oh, and live long...

Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                            X