Steering box leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering box leads

So I've got some leads on a couple different steering boxes (later Bronco box & F150 4x4 box) is there anything I want to look for before dropping dime on any of these boxes, aside from the obvious, leaking seals...... Can't really tell much from a sealed box. Insert dirty joke here.......
    I've got two that haven't been converted and two that have. Should I crack em open before buying? Three of them aren't cheap but reasonable but are already converted. One is a better price but not converted. Also what's considered a good price for these steering boxes?
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Steering box leads

A good price is $60 at Pick-N-Pull. That is where I have always found mine. 5 or 6 six of them. But it seems like they are never there when you need one.

Comment

Most that have been converted should have new seals, so that's a bonus.
      The real only thing I can think of to look for is remove the pitman am and check for cracks or twisting.

If you buy one not converted, remember you need to get anothe sterring box to convert it, while common, it's still another 30-75$ to add into the cost.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Half day at PnP - $30. I also checked outside of cracks that the adjustable sector shaft screw on top of the box still has plenty of room to adjust. You can pick up a complete seal kit with everything you need for $30 at the local parts house. The control valve housing you can get from PSC for $40 already ported for Hydro Assist and new seals.
        72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Comment

Working...
        X