What was your teenage job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your teenage job?

Some of the responses in Mark's "leaving the nest" thread got me thinking about all the jobs I've worked since I was a teenager - and a similar conversation at work this afternoon sprung up... so what was your first job?

I had a paper route in 5th and 6th grade and since then I've never been without some form of job (aside from a couple breaks while in college).

When the paper route ended I went to work for a neighbor who had a landscaping and gardening business. Cash under the table and violating child labor laws I'm sure... but through most of Jr. High and HS I was digging sprinkler ditches, laying sod, pushing mowers and being a general purpose grunt in the 100 degree Livermore summers and part time gardening during the school years.

At 16 I worked in a restaurant until I turned 18 and they started giving me tons of closing shifts... As an 18 year old the last thing I wanted to be doing was working until midnight or 1am every Friday and Saturday night. From 18 to 21 I worked in a hardware store stocking shelves and helping customers.

I didn't work during the school year after transferring to Cal Poly. My first summer back from SLO, I went to a temp agency and got a "gopher" job at a financial services company where I made friends with the VP of Information Systems, and got an internship there the next summer as an IT technician. He couldn't afford me when I graduated otherwise I'd have probably gone back there full time. I now work for a huge computer company.

Scary to think at 36 I've worked in some form or another for the better part of 21 years!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: What was your teenage job?

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
    Some of the responses in Mark's "leaving the nest" thread got me thinking about all the jobs I've worked since I was a teenager - and a similar conversation at work this afternoon sprung up... so what was your first job?

I had a paper route in 5th and 6th grade and since then I've never been without some form of job (aside from a couple breaks while in college).

When the paper route ended I went to work for a neighbor who had a landscaping and gardening business. Cash under the table and violating child labor laws I'm sure... but through most of Jr. High and HS I was digging sprinkler ditches, laying sod, pushing mowers and being a general purpose grunt in the 100 degree Livermore summers and part time gardening during the school years.

At 16 I worked in a restaurant until I turned 18 and they started giving me tons of closing shifts... As an 18 year old the last thing I wanted to be doing was working until midnight or 1am every Friday and Saturday night. From 18 to 21 I worked in a hardware store stocking shelves and helping customers.

I didn't work during the school year after transferring to Cal Poly. My first summer back from SLO, I went to a temp agency and got a "gopher" job at a financial services company where I made friends with the VP of Information Systems, and got an internship there the next summer as an IT technician. He couldn't afford me when I graduated otherwise I'd have probably gone back there full time. I now work for a huge computer company.

Scary to think at 36 I've worked in some form or another for the better part of 21 years!
    Apart from the usual lawnmowing/gardening/grunt gigs as a kid, my first "real" job was working in a gas station back when they called them service stations. Which meant washing windows, checking oil, and eventually basic wrenching, tire changing (we sold tires) in the shop.

And Tony, you are a kid. I've been at it more or less continuously for almost 40 years (worked all through junior college and Cal Poly). Though there was the nice interlude known as graduate school. Brutal, since it was engineering, but the mobile scenery at UCSB (U Can Study Buzzed) made up for it. Of course I worked then, too. Got a job on campus as a research assistant. Though it wasn't exactly a rough schedule, it covered the mortgage, so the wife was more agreeable about my boondoggle.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

This is a good one T!

age 0-14 I was a slave to the creators. Dishes, vacuum, trash etc...

At 15 I was "allowed" to have a job. 15+ hours a week pushing carts for Target. I really did love that job. I got to show up in tan shorts and a red polo. I would clock in then proceed outside to collect all the stray carts. As long as there were carts for people inside, no body bugged me. I was even allowed one free soda a day. SCORE! Only lasted for the summer through the holidays.

16 to about 17 I was the "cool" kid in the mall slang'n beach wear at PacSun. Looking back on that, It was fun after we closed not when the customers were wandering through.

18 I worked for Sports Chalet and NorSki and Sports tuning ski equipment. It was the best Job I have ever had, though the pay was not good at all. I would wax, grind, repair anything that was made for going down a snow covered hill. I got certified to run the machines and skated by doing just expensive repairs. That lasted until I graduated and wanted to have a "last care free" summer.

19-20 I got introduced to the hell I'm living now, the Mortgage industry. I was a Loan officer assistant. I kept that as I went to the local community college. It was great hours and great pay. Probably the only reason why I decided to tough it out through school. I had enough $ to have fun, yet not killing myself with hours. It was easy to balance school and work. Then the housing bubble started to POP! lost that job.

Finished with school, I didn't want to get a job. All I wanted to do was wakeboard. I was competing for years in a league, even made it to the U.S. finals twice. Gas prices started to rise so My "sponsors" (read: parents) Couldn't afford every weekend out on the boat. So I took what I already knew and decided to make some money with it. My Dad was religious about washing the boat; every boat owner is. He would make sure that I washed the interior, exterior then wax it every Monday morning. I decided to make a flyer and D.R. Detailing was born (Delta Rider Detailing or Direct Residential Detailing). I charged less than any other detailing company on craigslist and when everyone called my phone they asked, "Is this price for the inside and outside of the boat?" I worked strictly M-F starting at 7am finished around 3pm. After a couple of months I was starting to get referrals from customers and I actually had a schedule book that was solidly booked. Then the foreclosures started and disposable income vanished. People decided that $40 in chemicals and some elbow grease was cheaper then paying someone else to do it.

My Dad Runs a cabinet shop and needed help when I was 21. It started off as me just building drawers in the afternoon which soon turned into a full time gig building and installing. I loved that job too. Did it for a little over a year until I was let go. It was either myself or a guy who was supporting his family.

22 I started at the place I am at now (25). A mortgage company. I hate it, Dont want to do this until I die.

Still hoping and praying for a career with CHP. The testing cycle has been down since 12/24/2009. I'm still going after it!
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
        Apart from the usual lawnmowing/gardening/grunt gigs as a kid, my first "real" job was working in a gas station back when they called them service stations. Which meant washing windows, checking oil, and eventually basic wrenching, tire changing (we sold tires) in the shop.
        Paper route delivering the "Palo Alto Times", I mowed alot of lawns in my parents neighborhood, I worked at a gas station (full service type) in highschool. I moved on to delivering auto parts and started at Sears doing tires and batteries. By the end of my 5 year gig with Sears I worked in every area of the shop (they sent me to school) I install exhaust systems, sunroofs, stereos, water pumps, you name it. I soon found that my back did not care for this type of work or the feast/famine of the repair business. I got interested in the fire service and got my two year degree in 84. I got hired as a student firefighter with Los Altos fire part time in 84 and full time in 85 by Palo Alto Fire.
        So I will be looking at 27 years in the business this year It has been the best job I have ever had...
        Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-11-2012, 05:28 PM.
        2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
        1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
        2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
          So I will be looking at 27 years in the business this year
          3 More years then Its nothing but driving the Bronco around topless and catching the early bird discount at Denny's.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            3 More years then Its nothing but driving the Bronco around topless and catching the early bird discount at Denny's.
            Dude, I want a part time job for spending money for the Bronco and Track car

My Boys will be in highschool when I retire and my oldest thinks Stanford would be a good college to go to... So far he has the grades
            Last edited by 904Bronco; 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM.
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I had paper routes as a kid...
              But for real jobs I started working just as soon as I could...14.5 with a worker's permit

14.5-16.5 worked at McDonald's inside Walmart, kinda a crappy job and got so tired of Walmart customer's.....

16.5-18 worked at United Artist movie theater, doing every job there, that wasn't bad but the general manager had a serious Napoleon complex and was a real asshole... But I could see as many free movies as I wanted

As soon as I turned 18 I got a job at Firestone changing oil and tires until I went away to tech school... loved that job, the pay sucked but it was fun!

Didn't work while I was at Wyotech because Laramie, WY is a college town with University of Wyoming and finding a job there is really tough!

After tech school I worked a couple odd jobs as a truck mechanic then For Sacramento Truck Center as a apprentice diesel mechanic for almost two years. A couple more odd jobs doing the same.

Then at 22 I got hired at Union Pacific as a Journeyman Diesel Mechanic and have been there for almost 9 years.... It took awhile to get used to the drama there but aside from that, the job security and benefits are great. I'll probably stay there but would like to eventually have a small fabrication business in my own home workshop on the side.
              Last edited by Efibroncoman; 01-11-2012, 06:15 PM.
              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I didnt work until I was 18, my first real jobs was clean up at a frozen corn plant(I dont eat frozen corn now). then I drove a delivery truck for ashland glass and mill work in redding. at 20 I was making manhole covers for D&L foundry in washington, that was the place that drove to the the easy life of the military I have been doing this now for 15 years, it isnt the greatest job but I only have 5 years left and then I get to start over somewhere else... anybody need a munitions expert?

Comment

As a kid, 8-12 I sold produce we grew in the back yard, mowed lawns and washed cars in the neighborhood.

Junior High I was the school candy salesman, selling gum, blow pops and candy bars out of my back pack at school, made great money, enough to buy baseball cards by the lot and case...pulled all the clothes out of my closet and set up shelves to run a card shop in my room, made good money for a 13 year old!

15-17 - got a job at McD's - had a lot of fun at that job, worked there for 2 years till I graduated HS and started JC. Also worked on my HS campus as an after school peer tutor.

17-21 - Worked at the Country Club in Bear Valley Springs, started as a bus boy, became the party boy/bar back, then became waiter. Made excellent money, great job. Worked this through college, payed the rent and tuition both. Loved it.

21-27 - Graduated CSUB and got first teaching job - teaching pre-Alg and Alg and Opportunity class at Jr High. Taught in Stockton as well while the wife went to UOP.

27 - Retired when the wife graduated and went to work - been stay at home dad for the past 8 years now...wow. I have worked part time at my old jr high the past 4 years but its just an extra job that keeps my credentials and resume up to date.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

I started working in the "family business" that my parents owned at about 14 years old (1992). Distributors of commercial doors, frames and hardware in Ontario, CA. Started out as just sweeping the floors and janitorial stuff for some spending cash but it turned into a career. My parents retired in 2000, my Step-Brother took over the company and I moved up to Sac in 2002 because my girl (now Wife) lived up here. Found a job quickly doing the same stuff so I guess I'm sticking with it, currently a Project Manager.

Worked some other side jobs at the same time on occasion. Ben Franklin Arts & Crafts for about 6 months (quit because I couldn't handle dealing with the blue hairs and their asinine questions. Also a "cross-training" stint for 2.5 years at one of our vendors a commercial hardware wholesaler in Pomona, CA.
                    Last edited by JusticeJMB; 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM.
                    '68- 302 C4 x D20, Dana 30 x 9" stock gears, 33" pavement pounders, 3-1/2" suspension lift 0 body lift, wishlist getting bigger, wallet getting smaller

Comment

Dude, I want a part time job for spending money for the Bronco and Track car
                      Find yourself some kind of consulting niche... My dad turned his career into a part time consulting gig that lasted several years after he retired. The money was far better than any part time job. A guy I used to work with did the same thing, and hopefully one day I will too... got a couple ideas but that's so many years away its not even worth thinking about!

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                      Didn't work while I was at Wyotech because Laramie, WY is a college town with University of Wyoming and finding a job there is really tough!
                      That was half of the reason I didn't work while at Cal Poly. That and I knew it was my one shot and I didn't want to screw it up. It worked for me, I got good grades and a good job afterwards.

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
                      As a kid, 8-12 I sold produce we grew in the back yard
                      I knew you were part Hippie! This is the proof!
                      Last edited by CityHick; 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Holy hell! I'm gonna need a few pages here...

Birth -17:
                        Grew up on the farm in Chico. Dad had a custom harvesting business as well as farming over 300 acres of almonds, 60+ acres of walnuts, various rowcrops and beef steers. Had a 4-H hog breeding project from 10-16 then switched to beef. Various row crop projects on my own as well as always helping dad wrench on somethin in the winter time after harvest.

17-18:
                        Painter/ fabricator for Wizard MFG in Chico building walnut processing plants. Spent a summer on a custom wheat harvesting crew in the midwest.

18-22:
                        Tons of jobs with local farmers and a friend with an equipment rental business. Drove truck, cut rice, disked fields, equipment repair of every kind from lawnmowers to D-8 cats and Peterbuilts. Went back and forth between Guy Rents (Rental Guys now) and Gorrill ranch in Durham mostly depending on my school schedule... Always nice to leave a job in good standing as they always wanted me back when I had the time.

22-24:
                        Managed a small cattle/ hay ranch that spanned from Oroville to Susanville as well as the trucking company that came with it of 4 rigs and every kind of trailer you could tow. Also dated his daughter!

24-25:
                        Branched out on my own with my own fab business building anything and everything. Got contracted by my HS best friend to help build their Almond processing plant in Arbuckle then stayed on as a mechanic until I joined the Marines.

25-33:
                        USMC F/A-18 pilot extroidanaire. Blew up all kind of shit and went fast doing it! 225 Carrier arrested landings with deployments to all the nice places in the world where terrorists live.

33-34:
                        Short stint building custom entryway gates for multi-million dollar homes in the San Diego area as well as metal work and fabrication for a hot rod shop in Escondido.

34-present:
                        Finally landed a real job outside the USMC as a Close air support instructor for the Marines as a guvment contractor.

Best of all is I can't wait to move "home" and get back to where it all started. Farmin' and wrenchin'...

This was the abridged version! Also the WORK experience here is the main reason it took me 6.5 years to get through CSU, Chico paid for in full by yours truly w/o a single student loan. Oh, OK, I had a few beers too...
                        Last edited by Fungus232; 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM.
                        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

16-17 worked at a full service car wash. Job was pretty cool, had a crush on a chick I worked with (dont tell my wife, she was my girl friend at the time she then proceded to run into me with a ford aerostar. I was all up over the hood and came off the drivers side on my feet, made it look good at least. The down side was the rainy days, my boss liked me so he didnt want to cut my hours, instead I GOT to come to work and clean the pit. Hmm, maybe he didnt like me?

17-19 worked in receiving/stocking warehouse at Michales arts and Crafts. Go ahead, laugh all you want but cute chicks work at michales. Second part of my time there was working in the custom frame department, thats when I learned about trial by fire. My first day behind the counter was 50% off framing day, a rush of customers asking a dude behind the counter who they thought had a clue about art what mat and frames to use. I had no clue, winged it while my boss stood in the back laughing. Trial by fire... There was Anna in the framing department too, that was alright. I remember that tight green dress and the impression of her thong like it was yesterday

19-21 Worked at an auto body shop. Started as a tear down guy then body work, then a little paint. My boss was a Corvette guy, said I could tear down a Vette door quicker than anyone he knew without breaking anything.

21-27 Worked at a Detroit Diesel distributor. Warehouse grunt to back parts counter to front parts counter to night service parts counter. It was a pretty good gig, learned a lot and on slow nights would go out and wrench on trucks for fun. The mechanics loved it, I turned wrenches they checked it out since their name was on the service order. We also had a full fab shop out back so on my lunches I would hobby shop with all the tools. Built my bumpers there on my lunch hours.

28-current Purchasing and operations at Rubicon Express. Its been fun and kind of cool to be involved in a business that is also a hobby. Most days that is...
                          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

12 - reset targets where I shot competitively. Sat in a steel bunker buried in the hillside while shooters shot large metal targets off stands then reset them after they were done.
                            14 - sold fireworks
                            16 - worked at McD's for 2 days until I threw one of the employees in the dumpster out back because he kept making fun of me being the only "cracka" working there.

worked MANY jobs in retail, photographic consulting and sales, made cheese, phonebooths, prototype speaker boxes that sold for over a grand for NHT, warehouse work and retail management until 7 years ago when I finally got tired of all the big corporation BS and started my own engraving biz. Now the economy is killing me and I'm worried I may have to go back to work for someone else soon. Not thinkin that will turn out well.
                            Last edited by seahawkfan; 01-11-2012, 09:36 PM.
                            Vacaville, Ca
                            67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

(snipped...) my back did not care for this type of work...
                              What's a "back"? Going in for another epidural cortisone injection next month, I hope.
                              1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                              X