A 61 scout build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A 61 scout build.

Well, I debated about posting this since this is a bronco site, but I figured since I am using an all ford drive train, and it all came out of a bronco (94), I would give it a go. This thing is surprisingly similar to an old bronco. ( i had a 69 maroon one with a 351C, 435, D20 combo back in highschool). The frame is a little wider, making more room for the 205. I figure a lot of this would translate well into the bronco market. Anyway, if you guys hate it, remove it from the forum. So on to the pics up to date...........

Well, it seems weird doing a build thread for something other than the bronco, but its time. After flopping plugly last season, the tops wont go on, and thus the boys will be subject to rain and heat. two things I am not crazy about. (you know, its a funny thing being a father. i never cared about shit; see bad shit all day long at work, take stupid chances and otherwise disregard my health and safety. But now that I am married with two boys, that is all I worry about. ) i also had some isssues with smog this year. granted, they were my own fault, but IMO, the green weenies are going to be gunning for the 80's and 90's cars here pretty soon. SOOOOOOO, I decided to spend a lot of money (250 bucks) and bought a 1961 Scout 80. Stock it has a twin stick D18, 152 4cyl motor, D27 axles with 4.27 gears and lockers, a 100" wheel base, and a shit load of rusty bolts/parts. It also only weighs 3900 pounds from factory, so I am shooting for 5K total, but thats probably very conservative. here it is in all its glory the day i bought it

's
    So the plan is to strip the Bronco, and put the scout on front and rear radius arms, 1 tons, 42 now with 44's next, the 351, klune and 205, etc, etc. All the shit the bronco has. I also plan to stretch the wheel base from 100 to 110 at least, likely 115ish, exo/ino cage it, and cut the fawk out of it. Hopefully it will be street legal as I like driving around town too much, and still would rather drive to the trail than tow.

Sooo, on to the build up.

It came with saddle style fuel tanks on either side. they were prone to causeing rust

So i pulled that tanks, and am going to use a scout II tank for 19 gallons, and hopefully it will fit ahead of the rear axle. This leaves the old gas tank area available for storage with a little welding and some sheetmetal

One of the reasons I like this vintage scout is (aside from being pre-smog) the super shitty fabber friendly interior

this is the reason for wanting to stretch it.I had a early bronco in high-school, and realized you really couldn't fit all that much in the back with a back seat there. Add in TWO car seats for the next few years, and space becomes even more limited. The cooler BARELY fits in there, and as the boys grow, their heads will hit. you all know I am safety geek, so that wont work.

So i decided that 6" of stretch would be a good compromise between aesthetics and function. Will give plenty of room for the boys, and not be too long for a ten inch rear wheel stretch. I am also going to comp cut the rear. You can see how simple stretching it should be. Its all right angles ickle: This pic is a 41" radial i got from some guy named Bill. the hubs are about 2 inches above where they would be IF mounted to my wheels, and this is with NO lift from stock. So I am thinking like 6" lift max and a comp cut will be PLENTY

In the front, i plan to remove all the core support, etc and replace it with tube. imagine a big U coming from the firewall along where the fenders attach, and tying into the frame. The front axle will get pushed 4 to 6" depending on firewall clearance. Im hoping to push the 351 forward and down, so i can make the firewall flat, and gain some more leg room. time will tell for his

I plan to wheel the bronco for one more season. I really want to push it through squeeze rock at fordyce and run the hammers in it. Then, it gets cut up. So its just cleaning and body stuff for now. maybe a little prewire down the road.
    Last edited by plug ugly; 01-22-2012, 10:49 AM.

Re: A 61 scout build.

a few additions, albeit they are coming slow. i spent most of my time parting out the second scout. have the stretch section on, just need to weld it. ended up stretching it 8". will stretch the rear wheels back 8" and the front 4 to 6", havent decided yet. At this point, for time and money, will probably run radius arms front and chevy 63's rear till I can afford to link the back.

stretch in place. im running some 1.5" angle iron under the bed rails for support

with the 41's as mock up. obviously the body body/frame need to come up some

I thought really hard abut only stretching the body 6" to get the best departure angle possible, but wanted to have enuf room for all my camping and wheeling stuff

made the front look a little different. Did look like this

now it looks like this. will get tube supports for the fenders and coilover mounts

still need t clean it up some.Im also gonna taper the front 6 to 10"

this is not at final height either

with the 41 again for mock up

Comment

got some tub work finished for the stretch. next is the fenders. The PVC pipe is where the rear axle will go. still have some grinding/smoothing to do, but its all but done.

Comment

so nothing exciting, but lots of time invested, mesauring, leveling, remeaswuring, welding, cutting, leveling, measuring, you get the picture. A master welder I am clearly not, so :flipoff2:

started by overbuilding the shit out of the frame rails. flat plate with holes every 6 or so inches on center *i forget, its been going on for a few months). the expectation is I will have to cut for 205 clearance, and dont want to sacrifice any strength as i play with 4/3 links, etc. I still have to weld all the factory seams, as they look like they were welded by my 4 year old.

Ran lots of crossbars to keep from warping the frame

kind of hard to see, but the top piece (actually the bottom of the rail) has several small holes in it, with nuts welded onto the backside. Figured i use those holes for the belly pan and boatside mounts.

I had wanted to run rear radius arms or links in the back, but just dont have the money, knowledge r time right now. i want this thing running for next spring. Im gonna use 64" chevies I have. Looking at stretching the rear axle back 8 inches to go along with the body stretch. Actually ends up with the front mount 1" forward from stock.

Comment

I extended the frame with some 2x4x.188 wall rec. tube. These are the first round of inner gussets, with more bracing to come. Gained 2 and 3/8 inche clearance for rear fuel tank with changing the tube. I cut 28" off the factory horns, and added 37" of 2x4

Can see how the outside of the tube comes up the stock frame about 10" or so. Can also see the rest of the frame and new front body mounts

better shot of the front body mount. Built with a 2" body lift into it. i will cut the square tube flush with the outside of the frame rail once I trial fit everything. A single lower gusset and a single lateral, should be enough.

Where the Cage radius arms mouns will end up with a 5" forward push. may bring these back another inch to end up with only 4 inches of front push.

9 extra inches of frame ( I wish it was that easy:evil , and im still putting the rear shackle mount of the end of the axle. its 59" back from the front hanger. This is based on my current, hevier rig, so i may have to push it forward an inch or so. I have a rear 2x2x.188 rear bumper/winch mount to put on there from the current rig, so the hangers wont just be sitting out there.

Comment

I was having some motor to firewall clearance issues. found a thread of mark and Daves on norcal broncos regarding some block hugger headers. made a HUGE difference, tho the pics dont show it well

got some different headers, ford small block guys take not. These fit much better. was able to pull the motor up and back, I think this is where I will stab it. Crank bolt appears to be at 35 at ride height, top tranny bolt is about 41

old header clearance

new header clearance didnt move the motor at all

header comparo. These are summit cheapo headers on the bottom, smog leagal for the year with block hugger headers on top, non smog.

link to headers, will work on 31 or 302
            http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SU...5&autoview=sku

new height

old height. its not much higher, but further back by 2" or so

Comment

so i had about 4 hours this afternoon, and have to work all weekend. here is a few pics of shtuff I have been tinkering with here and there.

A full day or more was spent chipping this tarry crap off. It came off easy enuf with a harbor freight air chisel.

th white crap, seam sealer I imagine, is a PITA to get off. I used an air hammer with as flat a blade as i had. It still sucked.

here is the pass side, which I plan to cut and replace for extra leg room for the wife/kids.
              Luckily the factory heat shield kept too much "glue" off the bottom, even though I am leaving it on this side till I cut it out.

Ended up with 4 piles, all bigger than this

The tub is ready for sand blasting, sheet metal work.new firewall and floors, and bed liner/insulation

Also been working a little more on the rear links

I needed to raise the upper links as mentioned before. I plasma'd the bulk off, and the neighbor owns a machine shop with a nice 6" belt sander. That sander helped A LOT. I plan to cut on the yellow line to clear the body. The piece on top is the middle factory body mount, which I will weld back onto the body, and use this piece as a upper link mount and body mount. Its cut from 3x5x3/16

still just mocking and punching numbers through the calculator

Comment

minor progress in the rear link set up. Most things are tacked in place, and I think final. Still waiting for someone to tell me that my numbers look good.

I can not figure out how to make these damn screen shots bigger.

Comment

if any one cares

a few more link pics.

I ended up lowering the tcase and raising the motor, so Im at 5 degrees lean back now. I get 5" of droop at the pinion. Im just gonna live with it.

Im also gonna ditch the radius arms and 3 link the front.

still need to cut the factory rear crossmember out, as the links hit. Was gonna wait till the coils were on to see how much up travel I will actually get though

Comment

well, christmas came early. The wife took the boys to oregon for 10 days, and I actually got two 3 day spats of working in the garage without interuption......so 72 plus man hours later i have accomplished the following.

stripped the 60 of all the radius arm wedges,built a truss, cut a web (not pictured), tacked all brackets aside from the track bar and hydro assist, built a new upper link mount, etc, etc.

Upper link mount, I still need to weld the end and gring smooth, and then make an inner bracket to put it into 'double' shear.

upper link mount and gusset to the top of the housing

1.75 188 wall truss, slightly angled down for clearance

finger worth of clearance at ride height

new middle body mount

rear mounts.

Comment

Looks like flexing the front 3 link gives me what I need. Still lots of stuff on both sides, the lowers are hitting the old leaf mounts. Pinion angle appears pretty good through travel also, so its time to start burning things on for final.

Comment

well, this is a lousy update, for no other reason than to try and motivate myself.

I deliberated over how to do the 'boatsides', and finally decided on this. This was really the only way without major floor changes, that I could mount the cage, and protect the tie ins. SOOOO, it will look like this with 4 lower tie ins like the two pictured below.

here is the pass flor board to go in, have a drivers just like it

and some bling

few new things.

had S/K bend up some more metal for me.
                        new rear deck lid made of 12g. Has some cross pieces underneath it will bolt to. Should make a weather 'proof' trunk when the tailgate goes back on.

New rear fire wall made of 16g. This will sit right behind the back seat.

Comment

started on the drivers floor. Its a little bigger over all, but should add needed foot room for me.

I actually really like doing the floor. kinda geometry, math, and fab with some new techniques I read about to put the bends in this 12 gauge

Comment

You've been busy! A buddy of mine had a similar IH that sat in his driveway a couple of years and drew complaints from the neighbors and eventually code enforcement. You are doing much of what he actually wanted to do with his but couldn't afford to. I'll have to send him a link to your thread.
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

I like it. Is that a trunk/ tool box behind the rear seating area?
                              67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                              69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                              69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                              79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                              67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Working...
                              X