Bronco D60 front axle, finally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bronco D60 front axle, finally.

Just picked up my new front axle. (x2) Kind of a late Christmas present.

Should look good with my new Cage brackets...

Re: Bronco D60 front axle, finally.

So whats the plans for these?

Comment

pretty!
      WT 4x4
      91' One Ton Bronco
      1971 Bronco
      9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Mmmmm jealous.
        sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
          So whats the plans for these?
          Well, the plan is to put this under my 72 Bronco, and put the Dana 44 in the back yard. I bought the teraflex 5-5.5 hubs/rotors, and I used a GM Dana 60 for the rest of the parts. I should be able to build the whole front end for something like $3,500.
          Donor dana 60 axle = $900
          Hubs & rotors = $300
          Housing = $1200
          Brakes = $50
          Ring & Pinion = $170
          Cage Arm mounts = $150
          ARB = $750

I don't even know why I talked myself into the Dynatrac housing. I could have saved a $1370 by running the GM housing and just swapping tubes.
          But now I will have my front 60, and better ground clearance than my 44. And all will be right in the world...

Comment

How is the 60 better ground clearance than the 44?
            Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
              How is the 60 better ground clearance than the 44?
              Dynatrac shaves off everything that they can when making their housings.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Ok, I know what your talking about now, thanks.
                Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

What about c's and knuckles? Can't put the stock ones on with those beautiful centers
                  Last edited by Rockbronco67; 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Doesn't Dynatrac use 3" axle tubes when compared with stock 3.062 or something? I think stock tubes are a little bigger than 3"....
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                      What about c's and knuckles? Can't put the stock ones on with those beautiful centers
                      Oh yes I can...

I'm pretty sure that I will be able to spin my 35 inch BFG's with the OEM combo. But you have a valid point, and the day that I grenade my knuckle, I promise to replace it with something expensive. I'm not sold on heavy duty knuckles for a KP 60...the point of running the 60 was to get heavier duty parts for cheap.

Comment

Just be sure to inspect the stock knuckles for hairline cracks. Especially if you are going to be running high steer arms on top of the knuckles. That is when they like to start to crack. Nice centers for sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                          Doesn't Dynatrac use 3" axle tubes when compared with stock 3.062 or something? I think stock tubes are a little bigger than 3"....
                          Yep, you are mostly right. The original Spicer/Dana 60 front axle tube is made from a nominal 3-1/8 inch hollow-bar. It is nominally 1/2 inch wall. My inner C measures 3.124 ID or so. The housing end is machined to 3.062 and is a press fit into the housing.

So the tube is 3-1/16, on one end, and 3-1/8 in the middle. Dynatrac is an Contract Manufacturer (supplier) to Dana...so their housings are machined to Dana specs. The tube in the picture measures 3.129 OD.

The Currie Rock Jock 60 uses the bastard tubes that are something near 3 inch. That combo is fine if you use the Currie end forgings, but you can't get KP end forgings. You can get Ball Joint forgings, but then you have to run Ford knuckles. which means Ford brakes...which are huge and heavy...Which is why I do not have a Currie Rock Jock in my Bronco.
                          Teraflex did something strange with their 60CRD (can't remember what???) so I was left with either Solid Axle, or Dynatrac. Solid is in Michigan, and they do not trim their 60 housings. Dynatrac was willing to use the JK style center housing, which provided an additional inch for the radius arm mount.

So a lot of research to reach the same conclusion that many others have reached. (although those RCV's are looking pretty good right now...)

Comment

Cool, sounds like you did a bunch of homework... I am definitely gonna wanna see it when its all done! Should be really cool!
                            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

OK, well it was a pretty nice weekend, so the 60 got some attention.

For the record, to run a 3.5 lift, with an Atlas, you need 7.5 degrees of pinion incline, and I like 7 degrees of caster. 42 inches of axle tube will yield a 62 inch WMS. The Atlas front driveshaft sits 5.375 off the LH framerail, so if you align the pinion to the Output yoke, you end up needing about a 17 inch LH inner stub. The original GM inner shaft is 17.67...so I cheated the pinion 1/2 inch to the right, and ran the stock short inner. This puts the pinion yoke at 6 inches off the frame, which is actually a little better than the old D44.

I was told by Dynatrac that you could not run a 62 inch front 60 in a Bronco...and they might be right. With a 36 inch radius arm center, and 38 inch coil centers...it turns out that the spring buckets are going to land on the king pin cap.

...more news later, I quit tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X