Yukon Zip air locker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yukon Zip air locker?

Anybody ever use one? How do they compare to ARB lockers aside from being $200 cheaper?
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Re: Yukon Zip air locker?

Remember that the Aussie dollar is rising while the US dollar is falling. ARB is an Aussie company.

My plan for my front FW build is going to be a Yukon Zip locker.
    They run them in KOH!
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Ok, as long as the locker comes with all the parts needed to install it, then it sounds like a good deal.
      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

To quote Randy from Yukon on their lockers...
        "i can offer a warranty on all my lockers because I can replace them 5 or 6 times and still have a profit".

That is no BS quote, to me when I heard it directly from him at an event, it means his shit is made so cheaply, it's cheaper to replace it then make quality parts.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Well, I'll take a chance on it. Just ordered one from a place on eBay. Hopefully it won't take me long to build my Dana 60, I'll run an ARB in that.

Comment

Yukon air locker, 5.38:1 gears and install kits are on the way.... Next week, I'll probably order the chromoly axles with CTM joints from WH. Should make my bronco wheel even better in June!

Comment

Does the regular zip locker default to locked if you lose air or is that just the comp Dana 60 version. Sexton offroad is putting one in his bronco buggy.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Only the comp 60 version does that.... As far as I know, the others all work just like ARB lockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                  Only the comp 60 version does that.... As far as I know, the others all work just like ARB lockers.
                  Exactly. Comp series defaults. Currently no 9" or 44 comps, but hopefully they will release them. (along with 14b)
                  {o===o}
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

There's a pretty good video from ARB showing the differences between the lockers. The Yukon Zip locker for the Dana 44 looks like a clone of the old RD-06 locker with the 6 bolt case.

Obviously, ARB knew exactly where the RD-06 was weak, and improved it with the RD-116. So the strength video is good for ARB, but also shows that ARB needed improvement. So do you spend your money with a company that is currently selling a decent design, or do you go with the company that improved their product...on the shoulders of the people that bought their obsolete/inferior design?

I'm running the RD-36 in my Dana 60's but I'm running 35's. Probably won't break those.

The 35 spline Ford 9 inch air locker is a very poor design, and has been revised many times. I would stay away from it if you actually crawl your rig.

You can do a search on Pirate for the video link, or I will try to find it and post it later.

Comment

39Ford has one and loves it! Sounds like he did a bit of research before purchasing. It was ARB's original design and the patent ran out of time, so now Yukon has it. I'm probably missing some of the details, but that is the gist of it. As far as the video.... Total B.S. I would trust the the test if it was done by an independent lab. Sorry, just my two cents
                      Leave No One Behind
                      KK6AUW

Comment

I'm not exactly planning on rock racing with my bronco! I probably won't have the 44 in it for more than a year or two...(going Dana 60). At least Yukon does have a good warranty but hopefully I never break it. As far as the RD99 in my 9", I've already talked to ARB about it and it will sometimes lock and unlock when the air pressure is at 90-100 psi. They suggested to turn the pressure up to 150psi, mine is at 125 and it works good now. I bought it used and I'm not sure what condition the locking collar is in so I bought a new one that I'll install if necessary when I re-gear. The reason all 9" ARB lockers do this is because they have to make the air piston smaller to actually fit inside the drop-in, and believe me it is still a tight fit!!! I had to grind on my Strange case just to fit it! Dana 60's front and rear would be cheaper in the long run, but I've already built the 9", I've never heard of somebody breaking an aftermarket 9" center section and Broncos came with 9" axles and I'd like to keep mine!

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                          I'm not exactly planning on rock racing with my bronco! I probably won't have the 44 in it for more than a year or two...(going Dana 60). At least Yukon does have a good warranty but hopefully I never break it. As far as the RD99 in my 9", I've already talked to ARB about it and it will sometimes lock and unlock when the air pressure is at 90-100 psi. They suggested to turn the pressure up to 150psi, mine is at 125 and it works good now. I bought it used and I'm not sure what condition the locking collar is in so I bought a new one that I'll install if necessary when I re-gear. The reason all 9" ARB lockers do this is because they have to make the air piston smaller to actually fit inside the drop-in, and believe me it is still a tight fit!!! I had to grind on my Strange case just to fit it! Dana 60's front and rear would be cheaper in the long run, but I've already built the 9", I've never heard of somebody breaking an aftermarket 9" center section and Broncos came with 9" axles and I'd like to keep mine!
                          Yep, that's what ARB told me as well...when my RD-99 starting slipping teeth. Turns out that you can machine .015 off the case housing, and the slipping is "better." The .015 was probably manufacturing variation on mine, and might be different for yours.

The 35 spline 9 inch ARB was just not an economical solution. To run 35 spline, you need a new carrier housing with 3.25 bearings, aftermarket only. Then you need Axles, and then a locker. The cheapest is to weld a GM 14 bolt. Anything else just costs more money. I bought my 35 spline Dana 60 from the pick-n-pull for $80. But billet ends, ARB, Dutchman axles, and explorer brakes put it well into the stratosphere. Could have easily done a 9 inch too. But I HAVE exploded factory 9 inch housings. (well, not the housing, but the pinion blew out of the support...) The 60 gave me a little better driveshaft angles, but really the reason I went with a rear 60 was to run the bigger RD-36. Just as you say...the piston and clutch collar is properly sized, and engages fully.

There are a few companies that make better locking collars for the RD-99, and plenty of guys run them. It's just if you are starting from scratch...the junkyard 60 gets you there. and you get to say that you are driving on "tons," whatever that means...

Comment

BUMP!
                            Found some info out. The Yukon Zip locker fails at around 6700lbs. That's way more than any u joint can take.
                            {o===o}

Comment

I didn't get any bites at all so I went ahead and installed it. Works so far but haven't been wheeling yet...

Comment

Working...
                              X