"New" to me pre-64 model 70...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" to me pre-64 model 70...

OK, so my impulse buy of the SxS 28 ga didn't work out for me. Getting the permits from the police dept turned out to be too much of a PITA for me to stand in line for 3 days...

Still "jonesin" for a gun I got to lookin' on Gunbroker (amongst other auction sights) and found my new baby. She's a vintage 1949 transition model 70 in 30gov't06 (pre war barrel stamping). It's been outfitted with a Griffin & Howe detachable scope mount with a vintage Lyman 4x Challenger scope & also has a reciever mounted Lyman peep sight for use when the scope is removed. Looks like a guy bought this in 1949 and outfitted it with the top of the line stuff and then cancelled his hunting trip! Should be on its way to my FFL tomorrow in Chico and can't wait to get a few rounds through it.

Got a pretty good deal on it due to the mods & the "collectors" turning it of the cheek. Works for me as the mods are exactly what I'd want on one.
    Attached Files
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: "New" to me pre-64 model 70...

I have a model 70 too. That is a really good looking gun! Congrats!!!
    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Peep sights on high powered rifles can be a lot of fun, it will surprise you how accurate you can be.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
        Peep sights on high powered rifles can be a lot of fun, it will surprise you how accurate you can be.
        Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing with both the optics & peep sights on this rig. The old Griffin & Howe setup is about as slick as they come. They were used on WWII sniper scopes as well and are awesome at holding zero when reattaching the scope.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Working...
        X