Any .17 HMR shooters on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any .17 HMR shooters on here?

OK, so recently I've been on a rifle binge. A couple years ago I picked up a CZ 453 American in .22lr and its a sweet piece of pie that one. Now I'm looking at a CZ 453 varmint in .17hmr that comes with the wider forestock and bull barrel. After reading about the round I don't think I can go wrong for the price & should be able to reliably turn squirrels and rabbits inside out up to 200 yards with a decent piece of glass mounted on top.

Just wondering how you .17 guys like shooting them and to hear some personal opinions from the norcal crowd.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: Any .17 HMR shooters on here?

Two of my friends have .17hmr rifles with scopes. I've put a few rounds through theirs on trips and I will say its a very fun round. Great accuracy at longer distances than .22lr, makes it a good target round without the shoulder pounding or expense of larger caliber rounds with similar accuracy over distance. I will probably buy a rifle chambered for .17hmr at some point.
    Last edited by CityHick; 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I have a Savage, bull barrel great scope etc...200 yds...not easy..100-125 doable ..
      A 22-250 at 200 yards IMO would be a better choice.
      Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by CT Performance Inc. View Post
        I have a Savage, bull barrel great scope etc...200 yds...not easy..100-125 doable ..
        A 22-250 at 200 yards IMO would be a better choice.
        I hear ya there Cary and I've got a Browning .243 if I REALLY need to reach out there. It's a price point for me as far as really getting some rounds down range and having fun though. I don't reload so a nice shooting rimfire with extended range is nice and when comparing cost of ammo (center fire being $1.00+/ rnd & the .17hmr running around $.26/ rnd) seems the .17 would be a fun and economical little critter gitter.

Comment

I have the Savage with Bull barrel also. It shoots great but don't buy a combo gun/scope package as the scopes are crap. I'll be up-grading my scope to better see out to around 200. I figure in perfect conditions it will shoot that far.

Comment

The 17 will drop alot at 200yrds and if much wind...got to be better than me cause I can't hit shit..100-125..great after that ...just not very good unless the stars line up.

Here is some great info...http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
            Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

Comment

Yeah, I'd never buy a pre packaged rifle/ scope combo. Everyone's needs are different and they'd try to target the middle of the road with something like that. Researching a good match for the .17hmr right now that won't absolutely break the bank. Got my eye on a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12 AO w/ side focus right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                should be able to reliably turn squirrels and rabbits inside out up to 200 yards with a decent piece of glass mounted on top.
                Great round, Nice CZ, you will love having that setup but not gonna turn anything inside out and 200 yards is .223 range at least IMHO. If you want to hit harder try a .22WMR, you get almost the same range but it puts more energy into the target.

I think it is very well suited to walking-around kind of rifle, not a bench setup with a bipod and so on. You aren't going to make many 200 yard shots on a squirrel offhand anyway, and if you are sitting at a bench in the middle of a field you won't get many shots within 200 yards. At least that is my experience.

This is coming from a guy that went out on one trip with a .17HMR, .17 Ackley Hornet, .17 Mach IV and a .17 Remington. For the short shots.

Ended up saying screw it and using the .22-250 for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by CT Performance Inc. View Post
                  The 17 will drop alot at 200yrds and if much wind...got to be better than me cause I can't hit shit..100-125..great after that ...just not very good unless the stars line up.

Here is some great info...http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
                  That's a great writeup for sure. I figure any 150+ yrd shots are gonna come sitting in a nice comfy chair with the shooting table set up overlooking a field of prairie dogs on a nice sunny, calm day. Its a challenge for me and hence the fun. If I can't hit'em I'll blame it on the beers I drank while waiting for them to pop their heads up!

Comment

I think we are all speaking the same language. A couple of weeks ago I took the .17 and my 10/22. I ended up using my 10/22 before just spotting for for my buddy with his 223.

Comment

I'm just sayin'
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
                        I'm just sayin'
                        Haha! I hear ya bro. I've got the .243 with some 65 gr ballistic tips that shoots like a frickin' laser beam in the arsenal already. Kindof want something economical and fun between that and the .22 lr. Should be fun to play with & if I dont end up using it I'll pass it to one of the kids when they get older.

Comment

I'll only use the NTX style bullets with polymer tip as I don't want birds of prey or any other critter eating left overs and getting lead poisoning..so heaver grain bullets are not a option..wind really blows these arround past 125 rds.

Comment

Working...
                          X