WTB A9L computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB A9L computer

Anybody got one laying around? Or recommendations for a known good supplier? I have read that the reman computers from Autozone are good though a friend who recently worked in an Autozone is telling me to stay far away as he saw several come back during his tenure there.

Any leads appreciated. Didn't see a single Mustang in 3 junkyards on recent trips.

Tony
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: WTB A9L computer

I might have one in the shop I'll check tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by workin it View Post
      I might have one in the shop I'll check tomorrow
      Awesome, I appreciate it. Getting ever so close to being ready for efi.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Tony if you can't find an A9L to your satisfaction there are other permutations that will work as well. On the manual side, A3M, A9S, 8LD come to mind. I presume you are going to chip it so you can run larger injectors?
        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
        I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
          Tony if you can't find an A9L to your satisfaction there are other permutations that will work as well. On the manual side, A3M, A9S, 8LD come to mind. I presume you are going to chip it so you can run larger injectors?
          Thanks for the suggestions. As for right now I have no plans to run larger injectors or to chip it. 19lb injectors are rated to 275hp and my anemic 351w is rated at 250hp/350 ft-lbs. I am going to give it a go in default config and see what happens. I acquired a lightly used MAF sensor yesterday and have calls out to a couple of places inquiring about testing/calibrating it for 19lb injectors. We shall see.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Hey Tony,

I've got an A9s/8LD lying around here
            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
              Hey Tony,

I've got an A9s/8LD lying around here
              Hey Sean, guess I hadn't done my homework enough but maybe the 8LD would be a good option. What's your price? That is a California 88 Mustang Mass Air computer with only slightly different tuning than the A9L.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                Hey Sean, guess I hadn't done my homework enough but maybe the 8LD would be a good option. What's your price? That is a California 88 Mustang Mass Air computer with only slightly different tuning than the A9L.
                Bet you won't be able to tell the difference. Auto vs. manual is a bigger deal, and even that isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. Auto computers "hang" the idle a bit more (slower dashpot function) when coming to a full stop, because with an auto transmission the engine can die otherwise. I don't know the precise differences between an A9S and an A9L but it's likely stuff like ignition timing curves, etc. Unless you are drag racing, it's irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
                  Bet you won't be able to tell the difference. Auto vs. manual is a bigger deal, and even that isn't necessarily a dealbreaker. Auto computers "hang" the idle a bit more (slower dashpot function) when coming to a full stop, because with an auto transmission the engine can die otherwise. I don't know the precise differences between an A9S and an A9L but it's likely stuff like ignition timing curves, etc. Unless you are drag racing, it's irrelevant.
                  The curves are a little better in the auto ECU because the AOD was such a dog in the Mustang... The important thing is: As long as the correct Hego harness is used for an automatic or a manual, then you will not cook the ECU
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                    The curves are a little better in the auto ECU because the AOD was such a dog in the Mustang... The important thing is: As long as the correct Hego harness is used for an automatic or a manual, then you will not cook the ECU
                    Or better yet, open the harness, rip the complex neutral/drive wiring out of it and jumper it by the test connector or the ECU instead

Comment

PM sent
                      '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

I looked and mine is long gone. Sorry could help. I did find Bronco parts I forgot I had.

Comment

Thanks guys. Considering Sean's, will probably go with it.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Working...
                          X