7.3 Cold Air Intake (WANTED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.3 Cold Air Intake (WANTED)

Just checking to see if you guys might have one laying around. PM me, thanks!
    Leave No One Behind
    KK6AUW

Re: 7.3 Cold Air Intake (WANTED)

make sure you run a dry filter. Wet filters like K&N have created reliability issues on turbo diesels.
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Have you tried a diy tymar type . I run a big marine Cummins air filter with a 4" coupler to the stock intake hose.
      70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

don't waste your money on the cold air crap unless your doing a huge new turbo and shower head injectors….. all you need on that grocery getter is the ford updated oval paper type dry filter. If yours still has the stock flat filter in the box, get the updated version thats a oval paper filter in a different box.
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Here is a site that I used when building an air intake for my Dodge diesel. They have a Powerstroke intake that uses an oversized paper element or you can buy the same rubber elbows and aluminum tubes that they use on big rigs to design your own. Still better than the off the shelf tuner kits! Just remember paper elements are better than oiled gauze. The oil from K&N type filters can coat your intercooler and attract dirt, plus cotton gauze filters have less filtering capability. If you run a pre-cleaner sock from outerwears.com it will keep water and fine dust from hurting your paper element.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
            don't waste your money on the cold air crap unless your doing a huge new turbo and shower head injectors….. all you need on that grocery getter is the ford updated oval paper type dry filter. If yours still has the stock flat filter in the box, get the updated version thats a oval paper filter in a different box.
            Jeff,
            I'm going to install a 4" MBRP exhaust to help let the motor exhale while towing our trailer. My question is... If I do the exhaust, shouldn't I do the intake? To answer you question, the filter I have is oval shaped and 8-10" thick. Thoughts? Thanks Jeff!
            Leave No One Behind
            KK6AUW

Comment

You have the good filter.the flat filters sucked. The k&n aren't bad but people use way to much oil on them. A outer ware filter is good for all filters but not sure it's necessary for a street truck. I would save your money for other things.

Comment

Best filtering and flowing intake is the big Donaldson filter that comes with the Tymar intake.

Next best is a AIS Donaldson kit when used with a fender sleeve.

You may already have the AIS send me a picture, if you have it just add a fender sleeve.
                Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Tymar is great, Had one on my 97, but could not put it on my 01 excursion due to smog C.A.R.B cert.

Comment

Originally posted by CT Performance Inc. View Post
                    Best filtering and flowing intake is the big Donaldson filter that comes with the Tymar intake.

Next best is a AIS Donaldson kit when used with a fender sleeve.

You may already have the AIS send me a picture, if you have it just add a fender sleeve.
                    I have (had) an AFE stage 2 on mine, got tired of cleaning it. Just put the Donaldson HD filter on (big pleated oval paper filter), turbo whine went away but now every time I have a decent pull I suck the filter minder in and trip my air flow meter.

Cary, what is the fender kit you speak of for the Donaldson? I'm running your 6 position tuner.

Patrick, if you are interested in the AFE kit let me know. I would suggest a dry replacement filter though.
                    Attached Files
                    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I might still have the bullydog cold air insert for the stock air box...
                      Also I don't believe you need carb # for the intake according to the smog check requirements and it has never been an issue for me.
                      70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

I did a BAMF (big arse motha f'n) filter on my dodge. I'd have to do some digging to find a part number but essentially it's a heavy equipment filter. You pull your box and replace it with the filter. Filter was like 8" dia and 12-15" long or so.
                        My EGTs dropped drastically at full boost.
                        As for your exhaust, your down pipe is going to be the key. You can put as big of an exhaust as you want but if your still running the stock down pipe then your choking it upstream.
                        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by bent70 View Post
                          I might still have the bullydog cold air insert for the stock air box...
                          Also I don't believe you need carb # for the intake according to the smog check requirements and it has never been an issue for me.
                          Maybe it depends on the shop, I was asked on my A.F.E for a Carb # on my 01. That was why I did not get a Tymar for the 01.

Comment

A Tymar won't pass smog but the AIS Donaldson will.

Just use one of these..
                            http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...werstroke.aspx
                            Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by ProudPapa View Post
                              Jeff,
                              I'm going to install a 4" MBRP exhaust to help let the motor exhale while towing our trailer. My question is... If I do the exhaust, shouldn't I do the intake? To answer you question, the filter I have is oval shaped and 8-10" thick. Thoughts? Thanks Jeff!
                              That filter is the updated filter, your ok. The 4" exhaust is good as long as it's turbo back as the key is the down pipe off the turbo. Your trying to get the heat away from the engine which is the killer.
                              The intake you have is well suited to run with what you have till you upgrade to larger injectors, do pump work and install a larger turbo. You can run tunes up to an extra 100hp or so without having to worry about intake.
                              72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                              BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                              RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X