Throttle Cable Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Cable Wanted

So, I got into the gas a little bit yesterday and snap!! long story short... I am now in need of the stock 1967 6cyl throttle cable or some kind of replacement for it (that I can have shipped to me) and a choke cable too (but that's for when I get rich and or make some extra money) and if you have never done it... I dont highly recommend driving your bronco by hand (especially with the power steering pump out)

or... is there an alternative? can you buy replacement cables? and where would you get them?
    I looked at the stock v8 throttle assembly but since my firewall was crushed in (by what looks like a large sledge hammer) I cant see that fitting.

btw, does anyone know why the firewall was crushed in? I have always wondered that.
    Last edited by Savage; 01-08-2010, 11:22 AM.
    '67 4bbl 351w 3spd 4.11 3.5'' 33'' Workin Project!
    Most people will never imagine what Me and My Bronco have been through.

Re: Throttle Cable Wanted

how long does it need to be?
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

about this long (holds his hands out) I guess I should go pull it off the truck and find out! it couldnt be more than a foot and a half or 2' it does have special ends on it as well as a return spring built in... but I guess I could just replace the cable and make a return spring.

yeah, it's raining... it's mostly unbolted except the bottom bolt on the firewall which is kinda twisted around from the firewall being crushed in. I'll go out when the rain slows down and try to get it out the rest of the way. meanwhile, I guess I will look up cable parts and see if they have the parts i'll need, and or how to replace them
      Last edited by Savage; 01-08-2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Some times you have to massage the firewall to fit a Windsor in there without a body lift.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

if it has the small cast on ends to it find your self a mower repair shop i had a few made for 20 bucks on an older project.... just an idea
          75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Massage the firewall? this was pretty much crushed in... and the 351 is only a couple inches wider than a 289. I cant see how a body lift would have helped.
            I dont understand alot of what the previous owner did to this poor bronco.
            I remember thinking originally they were the wrong engine mounts on the frame but I guess they only make one.

I'll have to check with a lawnmower repair shop! that sounds like an awesome place to start. the cables online are expensive, and long, I did find one that sold by the inch and I dont need more than probably a foot of actual throttle cable.
            and thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

i have 2 stock 6 cyl cables in linden (close to stockton ) pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by Savage View Post
                I dont understand alot of what the previous owner did to this poor bronco.
                Welcome to the wonders of a previously owned Bronco...

I have never understood the need to massage the firewall to make a 351w fit. Mine dropped right in with room to spare (between the heads and the firewall). I do have a 2" body lift but even without it, it would still fit (I'd need a taller hood though).
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

savage let me know if you got the pictures, if these will work for you come and get it, that is the nice thing abought this site when i did my sons 289 swap i needed a lot of parts that people could have sold for there bronco fund but they just said take them, i cant thank these people enough (pops,gremlin) they would not let me pay a dime for them, so there here if you need them , my son can meet you half way if you want (sense he is getting 19 mpg out of the 289 )

Comment

Sorry, like always things happened and I got side tracked! I will be checking it out tomorrow (I hope it doesnt rain again) with any luck at all that cable will fit!
                    I will be looking for that hole on top like you said and praying to the bronco gods to cut me a break on the previous owners modifications
                    I would still love to know what the throttle cable on there is from, maybe i'll snap a picture of it and put it up here and someone can identify it!? or maybe it will have a serial number? (probably not) but it looks stock ford.
                    my brother lives in hayward if nothing else maybe I can convince him to take a ride?
                    either way, Thanks You! you were a big help in trying to figure this out.

It does look like the 351 would hit the firewall pretty good if the firewall was intact but I am not sure about that, and I have no body lift on my bronco, I just run a performance air cleaner that sits over the carb and a little shorter air cleaner and I have no clearance problems, although I am considering the Qjet and I might have problems when I add the adapter (I havent measured the actual clearance under the hood yet)
                    Last edited by Savage; 01-08-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Firewall Crush

If your Bronco started life as a I6 and a some point someone droped in a V8, But they never changed out the motor mounts (frame horns) they may of need to massage the firewall to get it fit. That dose not mean that that the motor mounts (frame horns) could have been replaced later.If you can't get to twbowhunters As far a cable go to the junkyard. The I6 cable is about 2 to 2 1/2 feet. A Mustang or a pickup one will work (almost any ford car cable)
                      But if your is only a foot long it came off something else. I use my I6 cale to run my EFI throttle. (around the front of the motor to the throttle body pass. side)
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

This will teach me not to check in with my bronco's favorite site.
                        Yes, the cable is off a 73 ford mustang and it is a little different but ford makes all sorts of cables that will fit the application.
                        my peddle linkage is all intact and to be honest I am not sure how they got that loop to stay on the peddle (which may have been part of the problem)
                        Instead of going with the 6cyl linkage (thanks twbowhunter, let me know if I can ever help out) I am going to go out to pick n pull and find something big like an older granada with the right cable. I do like the spring built into the throttle cable itself, it makes it simple and I am a simple kinda guy!
                        so, good news all around! now I just have to find the throttle cable! LOL
                        the 70-80's mustangs actually look like they would be a better fit but I might have to take the peddle with it to make the change over. (unless I can fab something to make it work) anyway, I am calling this one problem solved!
                        and I do appreciate everyone's input! thank you.

As for the install I think your right about that also, I think they were trying to use the 6cyl mounts to put a v8 in and that's why they crushed the firewall. when I got it, the first thing I did was pull the I6 mounts and install v8 mounts on the frame. I can imagine the amount of frustration they must have felt trying to do it wrong which is probably why they gave up on it and sold it to me so cheap! not that I am complaining, I love my bronco even a bit beat up!

Comment

Working...
                        X