Got a running six cylinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a running six cylinder?

I want to drive my U13 uncut 66. The dead motor that came with it was a 170. (I know, laugh out loud). I have no fab capability, no shop and OBAMA money. If I could get a running 6, either a 170 or better yet a 200, I could be driving it this spring instead of looking at it. Trade items I have are reportedly fresh C4 (RF C4AP) with 157 tooth low mount starter bell housing (RF D2OP), torque converter and 157 tooth flexplate. Also a drivers side floor pan new from Tom's. I do not need a rebuildable. Have two of those now. Even a good short block would do. I will get a 351 when I grow up and Obumer goes away.
    Last edited by Henry66; 01-31-2010, 07:01 PM.
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: Got a running six cylinder?

Here you go http://reno.craigslist.org/pts/1577134886.html
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858537
    1971 BRONCO, 89 5.0 HO, NP435, D20, D44 CTM Superior Detroit , Currie big bearing housing 31 spline Detroit

Comment

Thanks for the lead in Reno CL. Looks like I just missed it though. I'm still looking if anybody knows of one. I emailed the guy in Yuba City too but haven't heard back.

Comment

I will never laugh at you for having a 170 I6, My Bronco had one at one time too. Than it went to a 250 I6 than a 5.0 now a undriven 351. Out of the 170 / 250 / 5.0 the 250 was the best wheeling motor my Bronco has seen. The 5.0 was CRAP!! IMOA no low end . Eveyone says I should like the 351 time will tell. Enjoy the I6 they are a lot of fun.
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Brian, I have a 250 out of a 69 mustang. That is the motor I had the block repair post about last week. The motor was about 10K into a .20 over rebuild when it blew a head gasket and caused the block to crack between 3 & 4. It is complete radiator to C4. I could either repair the block or get another and have several questions. Did you have to do any modification to the motor or trans mounts? Did you use the I6 trans? I do appreciate the input and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the six for wheeling.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry66 View Post
            Did you have to do any modification to the motor or trans mounts? NO The 250 is almost the same as a 170/200 it has a 1 5/8 longer stroke but with the longer stroke it takes a 302 bell housing for it to work for the block is wider.
            Did you use the I6 trans? I was using a NP435 4 speed. But an I6 tranny should work.
            The down side is the oil pan was never to be used in a 4WD truck. I looked all over for a 4WD pan and they are just not made. The front diff will come up and hit the oil pan. I did take my 250 pan and 170 pan and made it kinda work. Did find a custom oil pan guy that would make a pan I needed, but I just went to the 5.0

I do appreciate the input and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the six for wheeling.
            I would try and find a NEW block and have it remachined with you pistons and rods. You can reuse the lifters JUST KEEP THEM IN THE SAME ORDER use your crank and cam too. but I would think about new bearings and rings.
            But than again you said you wanted a 351 so why put the money in the I6.
            Hope this helps you out some. let me know if you got any more ?
            Brian
            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Yeah, why spend the money on a six. I'm going through a disgusted phase and almost put the Bronco on CL last night. I will just let it sit and rust a little more. Maybe I will just focus on the suspension and body for a while and seek a good deal on a motor. That 170 in Reno CL was a great deal with a trans, radiator and exhaust for $80!! (Thanks Daves). Day late on that one. Just wanted to drive it while I worked on it. It is already starting to look like a pile.
              Last edited by Henry66; 02-02-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=858537

Comment

Emailed the Pirate. Might work out a trade. Thanks.

Comment

No problem
                    1971 BRONCO, 89 5.0 HO, NP435, D20, D44 CTM Superior Detroit , Currie big bearing housing 31 spline Detroit

Comment

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155547

More 250 I6 stuff....................The V8 is fun but so was the 250 I6

Comment

Thanks Brian, Maybe I'm not the only hardheaded sixer.

Comment

Here's another (250)...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1579404627.html

and another...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/1579055022.html
                          Last edited by tim; 02-05-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X