Valve Lash and plugs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Lash and plugs Question

Just mounted my GT40P heads on my rebuilt .020 over roller block. Using semi-stock pistons for a 9.5 compression ratio. Using stock push rods (~6.372" overall length). Running the Comp Cams 35-308-8 (Magnum 266) cam with new roller lifters and stock ford rockers. Three questions:
    1) Do I need to pump up liters with oil before starting? (I know I need to prime oil pump through distributor port.)
    2) What do I need to do to adjust valve lash adjustment before torquing rockers?
    3) What spark plugs should I run on the GT40P heads?
    Attached Files
    Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Re: Valve Lash and plugs Question

if your lifters are dry I would let them soak in oils for awhile at least.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

scince it is that far apart,prime through dist hole.it will fill lifters and put oil all through bearings.make sure oil comes out all push rods.also filter on.

Comment

Originally posted by oleguy74 View Post
        scince it is that far apart,prime through dist hole.it will fill lifters and put oil all through bearings.make sure oil comes out all push rods.also filter on.
        Good one! Why didnt I think of that. Ya like an idiot I torqued the intake down before I even considered the lifter prime. Ok so after lifters are filled with oil, is there al lash adjustment?

Comment

I snugged up the lifter hold down nut until you can't move the roller and then go another 1/2 turn.... Then tighten the jam nut(on aluminum roller rockers)
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

there is no lash adj on stock rockers. to check for proper push rod length, turn down rocker bolt while spinning pushrod between fingers. when you feel pressure starting to build in your spin, the bolt shouldn't tighten down more than 1 turn or so till it locks up. if thats good, torque down bolt to spec.
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

my plugs are autolite 764? Same as an 2000 explorer. Here is the rocker procedure

Each pair should be installed with the lifters on the base circle of the cam (valves closed). Hand tighten to zero lash first - no gap between pushrod/rocker or valve stem/rocker. From that point torque to 18-20 ft-lbs. while counting turns. It should hit the specified torque between 1/4 turn and 1 turn. If it takes more than one turn, your pushrods are too long - and you can shim the rocker up in .030" increments. If it takes less than 1/4 turn or you have trouble getting to zero lash, your pushrods are too short. The solution is longer pushrods, or removing a small amount of material evenly from the bottom of the rocker fulcrum.

Comment

Do what Hozr said. he is correct.
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hozr View Post
                  my plugs are autolite 764?
                  Each pair should be installed with the lifters on the base circle of the cam (valves closed).... fulcrum.
                  Thank you Horz!!!! I heard something like that from the engine builder but I wanted to verify. Great info!!! Thanks everyone!

Comment

What are the chances that the original pushrods are the correct length for the P heads? Were the only length changes between roller and non-roller setups?

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Depends on a LOT of other factors as well. Cam lobes, deck heights, head gasket thickness. The only sure way to find out is with a measuring push rod.

My Flat tappet cam with gt40p heads and fairly stock parts needed 6.905 pushrods like the Crane Cams 36661 Fireballs

Comment

OK primed the oil pump till oil was pouring out of each rocker, installed distributor, started at #1, verified firing order, torqued all rocker bolts to 20 ft-lbs with each cylinder at TDC, and every one of them was within 3/4 of a turn from zero lash! Fricken COOL!!!!!!
                        I am damn lucky I looked at the distributor, the gear roll pin was almost sheared off (previous owner issue) so now gotta overhaul or buy new distributor. WHEW!!! THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Spaceburger; 03-18-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X