Taurus Fans...Two versions. Which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taurus Fans...Two versions. Which?

I was digging around picknpull today and finally started digging up a fan and found there's two taurus fans...one a bit smaller. The bigger one might be too big for the stock EB 4 core rad or so it seemed. Which fan have you guys used and are you happy with it. I know one of them is like 2800 CFM and is two speed or something like that.
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: Taurus Fans...Two versions. Which?

I would suggest using a two speed Volvo fan from a mid 90's wagon... They're thinner and have a much bigger shroud!
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

post pics of what you guys did. I have to do this next on both rigs. Went mustang EFI and wont be able to do anything except electric.
      Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
        I would suggest using a two speed Volvo fan from a mid 90's wagon... They're thinner and have a much bigger shroud!
        they also come with a relay set up attached. No need to find a big amp relay to run the taurus fan. No tquite as much air movement, but its a nice set up, and can be removed from the vovlo shroud and easily adapted to your own

Comment

Loads of info on the volvo fan on pirate as well.
          Mark Harris
          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Anyone on this board ever tapped into a EFI computer to control the fan via the sensor inputs...? This sounds like a 'Lars world' question...

Its my understanding that the Mustang A9L computer has controls for a fan built into the programming. It would be cool to have the actual computer drive the fan.

I will be able to get into the computer and change just about anything because I will be using a "Moates quarter horse" tuner that essentially cracks the computer and lets you hook up a laptop to it. You can even do data logging with some additional software. It allows you to maximize all the performance upgrades you add and can even be controlled while driving the car. I'm a bit of an electronic geek. I like having toys that are not always necessary.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I use the big taurus fan, but i think it has finally died from being in ghe elements for years. I may rob the contour fan off my mustang. It thinner and have dual 10" fans.
              70 eb 60f 14b mild 302 435-klune 4-1-np205 and some dents

Comment

With the Quarterhorse, you will be able to run the fan.
                1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Originally posted by Filgas View Post
                  With the Quarterhorse, you will be able to run the fan.
                  Thought so. Are you running it that way? Have you used the quater horses. I am curious about any info you may have. Think it worth the 250.00? I am going to have the motor dyno tuned and that's the big reason I bought it.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

I'm using the DC Control two speed fan controller and it works great! Most of the time it will just turn on the low speed setting, but 10 degrees after that it'll kick on the high speed setting. My bronco runs around 180 all day long... Only time it gets warmer is when going up Icehouse road at 3500 rpms because I couldn't hold 4th.
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
                      Anyone on this board ever tapped into a EFI computer to control the fan via the sensor inputs.. that the Mustang A9L computer has controls for a fan built into the programming..
                      really? Which wire energizes this off the ECU? I don't remember a signal wire dedicated to this output..???
                      Last edited by Spaceburger; 03-27-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I've just got a Moates chip because once set up I don't plan on messing with it. I already had my electric fan set up w/ thermostat and relay, so I just left it that way. In my research a few years ago, I read about using the mustang computer to run the fan. In the quarterhorse software, you will see settings for low and high speed fan. I don't remember which pins you will need to add to the harness for the fan though.
                        1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Originally posted by Filgas View Post
                          I've just got a Moates ... I don't remember which pins you will need to add to the harness for the fan though.
                          OK that makes sense, its the Moates unit that does the control and interface, you have to add new pinouts and wires from it through the harness. Believe me I studied that A9 ECM up and down and didnt see anything stock devoted to fan function.

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                            really? Which wire energizes this off the ECU? I don't remember a signal wire dedicated to this output..???
                            I don't know...if it is required, I'll find out eventually. That is further down the road...still doing body work.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Looked back at my notes from when I was researching this. Pin 41 is for hi speed fan control. It goes to the fan relay ground pin. You can only control a 1 speed fan, and not all the EEC-IVs work. It is hit and miss with your ECM.

Comment

Working...
                              X