4 speed toploader tranny???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 speed toploader tranny???

Is it that much better then the stock 3 speed I have one just don't know ifi want to do the work and does the shifter sit close to the dash like some of the other tranny swaps

Re: 4 speed toploader tranny???

if you are talking about he NP435 4 speed, yes, it is much better. The low gearing is worth the swap alone.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
      if you are talking about he NP435 4 speed, yes, it is much better. The low gearing is worth the swap alone.
      the NP435 is the same as the three speed but with an extra granny low gear. Worth every penny.
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

if you're talking about the ford toploader 4 speed then fitment is basically all the same as the 3 speed with the shifter in about the same location. I would recommend it for a daily driver but not for a crawler. shifting is nice as you don't have any large gaps between gears. I believe length was within 1" of the 3 speed so driveline length doesn't change. I've got one laying around that I pulled out of my bronco......

Comment

I would recommend it for a daily driver but not for a crawler. shifting is nice as you don't have any large gaps between gears.
          I disagree. The NP 435 is great for a crawler, shitty for a DD. If it is a DD, NV4500 or ZF is the way to go. Or an Auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
            I disagree. The NP 435 is great for a crawler, shitty for a DD. If it is a DD, NV4500 or ZF is the way to go. Or an Auto.
            He was talking about a toploader Matt.

The 4500 and ZF are about 2grand to get under a bronco.
            {o===o}
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

In my opinion the Ford Toploader tranny is still a "car" transmission. It's pretty much the same as the stock 3 speed in the bronco, it just has an extra gear. They were put behind big blocks from ford and they blew up.
              Depending on what you want and your budget, there are better options out there.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

He was talking about a toploader Matt.

The 4500 and ZF are about 2grand to get under a bronco.
                Sorry maybe I should have read closer.To much last night

Comment

Ya it's the ford toploader and the bronco is going to be a DD

Comment

Honestly I'd stick with the stock 3-speed and not bother with the toploader 4-speed swap simply because you're not gaining much. Save the cost and effort for swapping in a 5-speed so that you gain an overdrive gear (and a little better fuel economy). I hear good things about the NV3550 swap in daily driven applications where a low granny gear isn't desired.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

I had a top loader in one of my broncos and it was awesome for hauling ass, but not so good for crawling around due to the ratio. The throw was good as well as the shifting. Good for going fast and not so hot for going slow especially starting off. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

The ford toploader is a generic name for the 4 speed passenger car transmission available from 1964-1973. It is described by it's 10 bolt top cover, to differentiate it from the borg-warner T-10 four speed which had a side cover.

The toploader is generally regarded as a robust, compact, easy shifting (by 1965 standards) It was available in two ratios. It is VERY similar to the top-loading T-176 4 speed found in some 1980's Jeep 4x4's.

It is also very similar to a later top loading 4 speed overdrive transmission with a similar case. All three are use similar parts, and have the same countershaft distance...thus the same strength.

The New Process 435 is NOT a Ford Toploader, although it IS a top loading Ford transmission. The same is true of the Borg Warner T-19, and T-18, and it's predecessor...the T-98, which is a top loading transmission, found in Ford vehicles, neither of which is a toploader.

The T18 has a similar countershaft centerline, and thus both the T-18, T-19, NP435, adn T98 are all found in Ford pick-up trucks up to F350 +.

The NP-435 is the preferred transmission for the early bronco due to its granny low first gear, 28 spline output shaft, 11 inch main case, and it's reputation for being "unbreakable."

The nice thing about the toploader is that it has close gear ratios, and a high reverse gear. Even the wide ratio toploader is relatively close ratio. For everyday driving, strong, and fast shifts...the toploader is a decent choice. The shifter location is similar to a 3 speed floor shifter. If you put it in front of a 4 speed Atlas, or a 5:1 Atlas 2, the crawl is just fine.

I would never run one, but I'm a NV4500 guy...

Comment

I ran one for years and would still be running it if AA was making 4spd Atlas's back then...they weren't even building the Atlas back then tho... : ) FUN tranny.

Great D/D trans IF it's not the big block gear ratio. You want the small block gear ratio or else 1st is something like 2.32:1 ... not good. Small block ratio I believe was 2.89 (very close to the stock 3 spd). Great trans for having fun or driving in the sand... DiLo, remember SOBIV with Cheesehead? That was a fun tranny.

A great shifter for this is to adapt a Heep shift tower to it so it shifts out the top. Still quick, but crap can't interfere with shifting (like sticks/sand, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post

ZF are about 2grand to get under a bronco.
                            I have to call BS on this I know I do not have 2K in putting mine in. $500.00 Tranny. Cluch M/C $50.00 +hose $100.00 (over priced do to driving to get it that day and lunch for 2) and elbow grease. $650.00.
                            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                              I have to call BS on this I know I do not have 2K in putting mine in. $500.00 Tranny. Cluch M/C $50.00 +hose $100.00 (over priced do to driving to get it that day and lunch for 2) and elbow grease. $650.00.
                              ...and two years later!

Comment

Working...
                              X