power steering cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power steering cooler

I am setting up my power steering and hysroboost and I need to decide on a cooler. I have a stacked plate transmission cooler from a 1996 explorer that I would like to use but I have heard some people think the stacked plate coolers aren't a good for power steering, maybe because they don't flow enough? I also have a typical power steering cooler or I could head over to the junk yard and look for something better.

Which one should I use?

I uploaded a couple pictures of what I am talking about (not my actual parts but similar to what I have)
    Last edited by pippinmader; 03-05-2015, 09:20 AM.
    Build thread

Re: power steering cooler

If you're going to use the stacked exploder tranny cooler, make sure your inlet and outlet are horizontal. That way air does not get trapped in the "u-turns".
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I use the explorer cooler on my '69 and it works fine. Mounted it sideways with the return flowing into the bottom barb and out the top barb back to the res.

More pics in my build thread but here's where I mounted it on the inside of the core support above the 4x4x2 box. Inlet/outlets are on the driver's side...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Fungus232; 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM.
      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
        I use the explorer cooler on my '69 and it works fine. Mounted it sideways with the return flowing into the bottom barb and out the top barb back to the res.

More pics in my build thread but here's where I mounted it on the inside of the core support above the 4x4x2 box. Inlet/outlets are on the driver's side...

I read through your whole build thread, very cool. Looks like the explorer cooler will work although I am not sure about cuting a hole in the core support, maybe I can figure out a way to mount it in front of the radiator. Looks like the explorer radiator fits real nice, I am not sure I want that much plastic under the hood but I do have a 5.0 radiator......certainly making me think.
        Last edited by pippinmader; 05-31-2012, 07:48 AM.
        Build thread

Comment

I have my Explorer PS cooler mounted in front of the radiator. It only required some bracket modifications on the cooler. Didn't take any pics.
          1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Originally posted by pippinmader View Post
            maybe I can figure out a way to mount it in front of the radiator.
            Originally posted by Filgas View Post
            I have my Explorer PS cooler mounted in front of the radiator. It only required some bracket modifications on the cooler. Didn't take any pics.
            Id've done the same had I not moved my rad forward almost 2" to right behind the grill. Didn't have the room to mount it there on my setup...
            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

For what we do, a stacked plate cooler will work just fine.
              I switched it out on a friends race car to a tube and fin and noticed no difference.
              If you're starting fresh with nothing, going to one of those tube coolers from PSC is the way to go.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I have a $5 F150 stacked plate tranny cooler on mine, got it at Metro. Noticeably cooler fluid than with no cooler, but I have nothing else to compare with.

1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Working...
                X