Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammeter reading

Hi

Just rewired my alternator/solenoid/regulator after finding some melted wires from the PO's shoddy wiring job. (thanks for the advice)

Question - what should the ammeter read? On idle the stock ammeter is at 0. when i accelerate or rev the engine it goes up to 60.

Prior to the rewiring it always stayed at 0 no matter what.

When running i get 15 to 16 volts at the battery. stopped it shows 13.5. Its a brand new battery.

Did I jack something up in my rewire or was it bad before?

thanks
    curt

Re: Ammeter reading

15-16volts is high. Recheck wires. Alt may not be turning off and over charging.
    67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
    69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
    69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
    79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
    67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

Alt could be bad and shorted internally, causing the battery drain...
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I had exactly the same issue which is why I cleaned up the wiring that I spoke about in your other post. I had 15.5 volts going into the battery from the alternator. It could be that it isn't wired right or the voltage regulator is bad. 15.5 volts is definitely too high, you want about 14.5.

60 amps on the amp meter is definitely too high. With a fully charged battery the amp meter should only read slightly above zero when the engine is reved up.

Comment

hmm. Like you guys said - its only about 4 wires and kinda hard to mess up. Would think it would either work or wouldn't assuming all regulator and alternator are good. anything I could have crossed that would cause that?

Comment

Like I said I had the same issue with 15.5 volts to the battery. It wasn't wired the way the wiring diagram said. It also wiped out the voltage regulator. You
            might want to put in a new regulator. They are only about $25.

Comment

Figured it out. Thanks. Ended up being a bad voltage regulator like you suggested. That fixed my battery drain issue as well. on to the next thing....

Comment

Working...
              X