Winch wiring??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winch wiring??

Will 2/0 AWG, CU600V,Type T90 NYLON cable work well to wire a winch? It is 19 strand copper. Very stiff, but if fit with proper connections will it work well? If yes, who wants some?
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: Winch wiring??

How much you got? That could be a bunch of beer money at the recycler's.
    Left over stuff from a job site?
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I got enough to pass pass around. I don't want to strip it down until I have no other use for it. Copper is down around $2.50 now. While I no longer consume the brew it would be entertaining to watch this group wade into 10 or 15 cases.

Comment

The finer the strand the more ampacity the copper will carry. Being 19 strand does make it harder to work with, but once you form it it will stay there. We use a equivalent 4/0, and it really sucks to work with.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I don't have a winch yet but for all of my battery cable I used 1/0 gauge welding cable from the welding store. It has really fine copper wire in it...
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Looking like I tire money. But I'll be waiting for the price to get back up about $3.50. Maybe somebody needs to run a new service to their welder?
            Last edited by Henry66; 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM.

Comment

If you know the amperage of the winch I'd size the cable at 150% of full load if your cable length is less than 10'. Voltage drop is a killer in a 12 volt system and insuring minimum voltage drop will provide you with better performance. I use Cobra X Flex cable for it's flexibility, 105*C temerature rating, and higher amperage to cable size over all performance.

Here's a link: http://www.cobrawire.com/x-flex/x-flex.php

Comment

Working...
              X