• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help identifying a diff/locker

here are the pictures.
    Attached Files

Re: help identifying a diff/locker

I found one with that casting number that sold on eBay. It was labeled "original Ford 9" Detroit locker rear end locker carrier from a Ford Mustang Casting number 62833 - takes 31 spline axles".

Original Detroit Locker
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

wow, thanks, I picked this up for $120 so I guess it was a good gamble on my part that is was a locker....this one is 28 splines so it will be a nice swap for me.

Comment

I'm not sure if that locker uses normal side gears but on open differentials the 28 spline and 31 spline side gears are interchangeable. You may be able to get parts to convert that locker to 31 spline. If you do choose to run 28, I would carry spare axles. Especially if you are running 33" tires or bigger!
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Detroit Locker side gears are different. I think we can still get them. I had a set a few months ago but they're long gone

Comment

someone over on NorthWestClassicBroncos pointed me to this link
            http://classicbroncos.com/forums/sho...=191721&page=2

and that is exactly what I have.....

EDIT 06/26/12 turns out this is an early locker and the standard bearings will not work. The diameter of the inner bearing is smaller so you need to get some specifically made for the earlier diffs. here are the two part numbers 501349 and 501310.

Thanks to all for the help
            Last edited by Orange73; 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X