9" axle bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9" axle bearings

Decided to change out my axle bearings today since I was changing third members. Thanks Jack. Those bearings were very stubborn. I drilled a hole in the retainer and then hit it with cold chissle to break it to remove it. I then rigged the axle in my 20 ton press and failed to press the bearing off even inducing vibration with a 4 lbs hammer while the strain was on the bearing. In the end I ended up using my 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the outer race and bearing cage off. After that I cut into the inner race making sure not to hit the axle. Once I had a good groove in it I hit it with my cold chissle again and it broke and came right off. First axle took about two hours of F'in around, and second axle took 4 minutes. I sure hope someone will learn from my pain.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Pumpkin

Hope it works well for you!
    Jack
    73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Re: 9" axle bearings

Drove all over today and it doesn't make a noise. So far so good.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I have always just got the torch out and scarfed the bearings off. Carefully!!!
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
          I have always just got the torch out and scarfed the bearings off. Carefully!!!
          I torch the outer off then head up the inner and it will slide right off. But if no torch is available, it is a pain!
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
          X