Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Hot 351

I've got the oil leak fixed.
    I've got my castor kicked back to about 5 degrees.
    Now it's time to tackle my engine.

I've got 351W, Rochester carb, Ron Davis alum radiator, single elec fan(two speed). According to my mech temp gage I'm running right around 200* and up to 210* on the hotter days. Can't seem to get it below 200 very often.
    I don't have ANY inner fenders installed right now.
    It's a new rebuild engine.
    I've got a large front facing open hood scoop.

I've done everything possible to get the temp down a bit but it just doesn't seem to matter. During testing I even put the leaf blower in front of it to get more air flow accross the radiator and that didn't seem to matter either.
    Any ideas?
    What temp are you 351 guys running at?
    Maybe my temp gauge isn't accurate.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Running Hot 351

that is pretty close to my 351. I am going to try the water passage on the back of the intake too.
    1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
      that is pretty close to my 351. I am going to try the water passage on the back of the intake too.
      Which intake?
      I using Edlebrock Performer.

I'm fine with 200* but don't want it getting higher than that.
      Last edited by FLYINHIE; 06-20-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

mine is too. There should be places to drill out near the back two bolts depending on what manifold it is. Some have a runner across the water ports with a place to tap in the middle. Mine is older and has places on each side. I drilled and taped it for I think 1/2" pipe and ran some brass fittings and a hose and will tap in to one of the heater hoses.
        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

If you have a auto that is pretty normal. All the 351's I have seen in a bronco with a auto all run on the warm side, but most with sticks will run 190 and not over. Good luck.

Comment

My 351w will hold 180 all day long every day, whether that's on the trail, sitting in stopped traffic when its over 100 degrees out, or what have you. I think I got lucky... that's with full inner fenders too. Only time it ever got hot was when my fan controller burnt up on a trail last year.

My intake manifold is a Ford aluminum intake that is very similar to the edelbrock performer (came on my crate motor). I have a Summit aluminum radiator and a 2-speed 2600 CFM derale electric fan. I added some "water wetter" to the coolant mix right from the start, no idea if that made any difference but I have no complaints about my engine's ability to run cool. I haven't even drilled mine for the rear crossover that everybody swears by.

The only thing I really did to improve my cooling is eliminating all gaps around the radiator. I got some high-temp weatherstripping from McMaster.com and moved the radiator closer to the core support.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

I have heard about water wetter and similar products and I do believe that would make a big diff on top of reducing gaps. Good tips I hadn't thought of. On the trail couple weeks ago it held 200 all day. I would rather it be down around 190 though.

Comment

What degree thermostat are you running? Do you have it installed the right direction? (just asking) Have you tested it to make sure it's opening at the correct temp?

Comment

Think it's a 180 and yes it appears to be operating correctly. You can see a temp drop when it opens up, then the temp keeps climbing.

Comment

Originally posted by FLYINHIE View Post
                    Think it's a 180 and yes it appears to be operating correctly. You can see a temp drop when it opens up, then the temp keeps climbing.
                    Sounds odd but my 302 will over heat on the trail with a 180 in it. I put in a 190 and it hold all day long at 190-200.
                    I forgot the theory behind it but it works.
                    {o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

My '96 5.8 has the stock 195 thermostat and it holds it no matter what I'm doing. Backed by a C4. Fixed flex fan and WH 4 core copper/brass radiator with tranny lines running into it. I can watch the temp gauge needle move back and forth as the thermostat opens and closes.

Comment

Well both of those theories seem strange but hell I'd be will to try it. Maybe I'll go get me a 190.

Comment

The more I think about it. And I may be over thinking it. I've been known to do that, ONCE.
                          Maybe the higher temp thermo keeps more water in the radiator a little longer to allow for better heat exchange. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Anyone buying that?

Comment

Originally posted by FLYINHIE View Post
                            The more I think about it. And I may be over thinking it. I've been known to do that, ONCE.
                            Maybe the higher temp thermo keeps more water in the radiator a little longer to allow for better heat exchange. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Anyone buying that?
                            I agree with your theory.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Along that same line of thinking, what water pump are you running. Stock or high flow? I've seen some engines run hot because a high flow pump is moving the water through the radiator too fast and not giving the water a chance to cool off.

Comment

Working...
                              X