Cracked My Xcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked My Xcase

Been thrashing on my rig lately to get it ready for a Rubicon trip in a few weeks, had the trans rebuilt, fixed my e-brake, chased down a few electrical items and fixing a few leaks. I drained the xcase to seal a couple bolts and as I was putting the drain plug back in I heard a snap and thought "what the heck was that" turns out it created a hair line crack on the back side of the drain hole and now I'm wondering if it will be a weak link in the case. Any suggestions?

Ken
    69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Re: Cracked My Xcase

That's a tough one to answer.... It depends on the transfer case and where the plug is in relation to strengthening ribs and other holes. You could try and bevel the edges of the hairline crack and put some JB weld in it, or braze the crack.... Or just run it and hope it doesn't spread further....
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I got a stock one u can have it's a t shift

Comment

Drill the end of the crack to stop any further cracking before attempting any fixes.
        sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

old69bronco thanks for the offer, I think I have one shoved under the shelf just need to check when I get home. I much prefer to replace than to make a repair with my luck it hold fine untill I was in the middle of nowhere before it deceided to let go. I run the cold Duck set up and the hardest bolt to get to is the one on the top of the case so it looks like I may be cutting an access hole thru the floor.
          69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

An atlas would probably have solved that cracking issue.
            Marc D.
            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Ouch ! but your right I guess I shouldn't have sold it.

Comment

Working...
              X