Clutch recommendations....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch recommendations....

I know a lot of guys are using Luk clutches in their broncos with stock engines. I am about to pull my transmission and want to change the clutch while it is out because it slips a little. While my 302 is stock now I plan to build a roller 5.8L this winter that will be in the neighborhood of 330 HP and 460 LB. FT. of torque. I only want to buy one clutch.....Does anybody know if a Luk can handle that or should I look at something more robust? Here's a couple clutches I've found....

Centerforce Dual Friction

Hays Super Truck
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Re: Clutch recommendations....

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
    I know a lot of guys are using Luk clutches in their broncos with stock engines. I am about to pull my transmission and want to change the clutch while it is out because it slips a little. While my 302 is stock now I plan to build a roller 5.8L this winter that will be in the neighborhood of 330 HP and 460 LB. FT. of torque. I only want to buy one clutch.....Does anybody know if a Luk can handle that or should I look at something more robust? Here's a couple clutches I've found....

Centerforce Dual Friction

Hays Super Truck
    I have the Centerforce one on mine. I used to have the Luk before I put the Nv4500 in. I definately prefer the centerforce over the Luk.

Comment

Centerforce

Comment

I'm using Centerforce although I haven't put through the full paces yet. I'm happy with prelim.
        sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Comment

My buddy uses a centerforce in his trans am 600hp and 530tq and it holds up great it's a twin disk

Comment

Not Hays! I bought a complete Hays setup including flywheel for a 289 back in the '80s, and it was badly out of balance. (not the 28/50 ounce thing, it was the right one...) Went back to Super Shops where I bought it and they said it was standard procedure to balance it to the engine when doing a rebuild, and they wouldn't make good. I just got a blank look when I asked them if rebuilding the engine was part of a normal clutch job.

Made some calls and ended up taking the whole mess to a machine shop (Ashland Grinding) and they balanced it to the old one - the flywheel needed a bunch of drilling, and the pressure plate needed a couple big washers welded to it to make it right. Worked ok after that until the pressure plate broke about a year later, and this was a stock 289. Bogus, never again will I buy anything from Hays!

I've had good luck with a Centerforce on a big six, so that would be my choice next time around. JL
            '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Centerforce is what I run:EFI 351W, 350 HP has always has worked great.
              69 Bronco, FI 351W, NP-435 Trans, Dana20, Dana 44 w/ARB Air locker, BB 9" w/Detroit Locker, Fab-Tech ext. Radius arms, Fox shocks coil over frnt suspension.

Comment

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I'm running a Zoom ceramic clutch. Holds real well under extreme abuse. Been running it for about four years now.

Comment

I just got a new center force here from WH.
                  What can I fix next?

Comment

Sounds like Centerforce is the way to go...
                    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

My first clutch was a LUK but I quikly found out that it would not hold my 347, so I went to the Centerforce DF and love it! I've been running it for a few years now.

Comment

I think I remember it smoking pretty good in a pond somewhere!
                        Jack

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                        My first clutch was a LUK but I quikly found out that it would not hold my 347, so I went to the Centerforce DF and love it! I've been running it for a few years now.
                        73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

I have a dual friction between the EFI 351 and the ZF and it's working great, it's been there for 6 years of hard wheeling. My wifes only complaint is that it's grabby, it is either in or out, it won't feather, but that's not a issue when you have plenty of torque on tap...
                          John Foottit
                          1970 Bronco 5.8SEFI, ZF S5-42, 203, 205, 5.38 Detroit'd Dana 60's, 38.5 TSL/SX's, 107" Wheelbase, Body Narrowed 6", Grill Narrowed 13", Body Stretched 9"

Comment

Originally posted by Action View Post
                            I think I remember it smoking pretty good in a pond somewhere!
                            Jack
                            LOL, yup! There is a video of that somewhere on this site.

Comment

Working...
                            X