Another 5.0 EFI questions...thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 5.0 EFI questions...thread

I'm totally new to the 5.0 swap deal...and fairly dumb when it comes to engines. I can fab and weld and build suspensions and all that, but to date I've been running my old reliable 302 with a two barrell...but its tired.

So here's the question...I've located a very clean 5.0 EFI (On Pleneum SP?) in a 1989 Lincoln Town Car. The milage is 37K and the car's condition matches the oddometer. Will this engine swap to an EB? I'm sure its an Auto and I have a manual...problem? I can get the thing dirt cheap and will take everything: wiring, computer, all accessories...basically everything forward of the flywheel.

Guide me...where should I get info. What do I need. I know about the flywheel and water pump...not much else. Can anyone tell me this version of the 5.0 won't work...meaning the Lincoln Town Car from 1989.

Help me out...???

Marlon
    Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 10-04-2006, 04:27 PM.
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Marlon,

I think Ryan McCormick (Ford Fuel Injection.com) wrote a series of articles Bronco Driver (maybe issues #6 through #10) about donor motors. It was called "Injecting your horse". It was a 5 part article, and one part listed the donor cars, and sort of ranked their computers. I think an 89 Lincoln is Speed Density, not Mass Air Flow. I also remember something about the intake being a little tall.

Maybe someone else will chime in here and shed some more light.

Galen
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Marlon, I picked up the same but a 91 Crown Vic. The 89, if it was a CA car will be a Mass air 5.0. The front assy's (three belt) is a little long so a Mustang front dress is prefered (I have an extra setup) Like Aaron mentioed check out www.fordfuelinjection.com for more info on identifying the engine.

As for going to a manual, all you would need is a 50oz flywheel and your clutch etc. Check the for sale area, Crawln68 has one he's selling.

Rick-
      68 Slightly modified
      67 LUBR once again
      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

It will more than likely be a SD engine with the throttle body on the driver’s side which will get in the way of your brake booster. You can buy a phenolic spacer and flip it to the passenger side if you want. If it is a CA car it will say "HO" on the upper intake, throttle body on the passenger side, have stock headers and will be Mass Air.

The 2 most preferred 5.0 engines are the 89 to 93 Mustang and the Exploder (not sure of the exact years) both are Mass Air HO engines that will produce more horse power and torque over the SD engines. They have better heads (GT-40P on the exploder and E-& on the Mustang) and a better flowing intake system along with the bigger 19 lb. injectors. They also have the correct HO firing order cam vs. the SD engines.

The preferred ECM that you want to run is the Mass Air A9L out of an 89 to 93 Mustang GT 5 speed. These have the best timing settings and most aggressive software mapping. They also will adjust to any modifications that you do to the engines. (cam, headers, etc...) The SD ECM's will not.

The best intake set up to look for will be the GT-40 set up. These are most commonly found on Exploders and Cobra Mustangs. These flow better than the HO Mustang set up and the SD Mustang/Crown Vic set ups.

All of this is of course just my opinion. Clear as mud?

Oh yeah, I do indeed have a 50 oz. flywheel if your interested.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Questions:

1) This engine will only cost me about $79.00 and appears to only have 37K...even though it is likely the SD engine isn't it worth getting and then swapping out the SD stuff (Even the Cam) for the HO stuff. Ideally a fresh 5.0 HO 89-93 is ideal, but this engine compartment looks extremely clean. The odometer reads 37K and the carpet is in extremely good condition.

2) What exactly would I have to swap out to make this SD engine an HO?

3) Getting the max HP is not my current goal...getting a solid reliable engine that gets better mileage is...but...I'm not adverse to the HP either and could see me wanting to juice things up down the road. Will the HO get significantly less milage over the stright EFI?

4) I've found list of parts you need to pull from a donor vehicle, but I don't know what they look like or where they are on the cars...anything that can help me there?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Thanks guys.

Questions:

1) This engine will only cost me about $79.00 and appears to only have 37K...even though it is likely the SD engine isn't it worth getting and then swapping out the SD stuff (Even the Cam) for the HO stuff. Ideally a fresh 5.0 HO 89-93 is ideal, but this engine compartment looks extremely clean. The odometer reads 37K and the carpet is in extremely good condition.

You can certainly drop it in the EB as is and run it. Lot's of people do it.

To convert it to an HO engine you would need to change the cam, heads, upper and lower intakes, injectors, wiring harness, MAF sensor and ECM. If you want an HO engine, you would miles ahead to just wait for a good deal on a Mustang or Exploder engine.

3) Getting the max HP is not my current goal...getting a solid reliable engine that gets better mileage is...but...I'm not adverse to the HP either and could see me wanting to juice things up down the road. Will the HO get significantly less milage over the stright EFI?

I was dissapointed in the power of my 89 Crown Vic engine even after putting the time and $$$ into converting to Mass Air. Although I am probably heavier than you are.

4) I've found list of parts you need to pull from a donor vehicle, but I don't know what they look like or where they are on the cars...anything that can help me there?

www.fordfuelinjection.com has pictures of all of the sensors and where they are located in the engine compartment. That sould be a big help. Or if you are going to come to the NorCal meeting this weekend, I would be happy to show you on mine.

Comment

I believe the 93-early 98 are the years for the Exploder 5.0 with gt40 heads and intake.
              70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Originally posted by FordCore
                I believe the 93-early 98 are the years for the Exploder 5.0 with gt40 heads and intake.

Cool. Do you know what year has the GT-40 "P" heads and which years have the non "P" GT-40 heads?

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68
                  Thanks guys.

Questions:

To convert it to an HO engine you would need to change the cam, heads, upper and lower intakes, injectors, wiring harness, MAF sensor and ECM. If you want an HO engine, you would miles ahead to just wait for a good deal on a Mustang or Exploder engine.
                  [/COLOR]
                  I agree...just thinking $79.00 for just the short block with what appears to be just 37K is a steal. I could still buy a complete HO engine and swap over parts to it. Plus, I'd probably tear down whatever engine I bought anyway...do a ring and bearing kit and hone the cylinders at the least.

Are the GT 40 P heads aluminum? Any heads aluminum from factory? Trying to reduce weight for snow wheeling where ever I can.

Last...are there any all aluminum Ford engines from more recent models/years that could be dropped into the EB. I think the Chevy 4.3 is one that comp teams are using...right? Ford Equivelent?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY
                    I agree...just thinking $79.00 for just the short block with what appears to be just 37K is a steal. I could still buy a complete HO engine and swap over parts to it. Plus, I'd probably tear down whatever engine I bought anyway...do a ring and bearing kit and hone the cylinders at the least.

Are the GT 40 P heads aluminum? Any heads aluminum from factory? Trying to reduce weight for snow wheeling where ever I can.

Last...are there any all aluminum Ford engines from more recent models/years that could be dropped into the EB. I think the Chevy 4.3 is one that comp teams are using...right? Ford Equivelent?

The GT-40 and GT-40 P heads are iron heads, just better flowing. There are some awesome aftermaket aluminum heads out there. Twisted Wedge, Edlebrock, GT-40 X and Y heads.

No aluminum block factory engines that I know of.

Comment

Isn't the chevy 4.3 all aluminum?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Isn't the chevy 4.3 all aluminum?

I'm not sure. I was thinking about Ford engines when I said that there are no factory aluminum engines that I know of. I could be wrong though. I've never looked for one.

Comment

On another forum I was told the 4.3 is cast iron too...not all aluminum.

Has anyone tried to install a newer 4.6 in an early bronco?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

On another forum I was told the 4.3 is cast iron too...not all aluminum.

Has anyone tried to install a newer 4.6 in an early bronco?

I've seen a few, but it's not an easy task as the 4.6 is much wider than than the 5.0. It would be cool to see someone do it first hand though. I think you should do it!

Comment

Here is the info Delta Filled me in on when i was looking for mine. Enjoy... you gotta love cut and paste!

Chris, some useful info...

Should you have a donor car that you are going to get your parts from or are getting your parts from a wrecking yard, the following list is some of the parts that you will need for you EFI conversion:

Engine assembly

Intake manifold assembly…

Injectors

Fuel rail

Fuel rail adapters, metal tubes that go down by oil pan

Throttle body

TP sensor

Air bypass valve

ECT sensor

ACT sensor

EGR spacer

EGR valve & sensor

Heater hose tube

Air intake hose

Mass air flow sensor

Barometric pressure sensor

Oxygen sensors

EGR valve solenoid

Computer (PCM)

Accelerator pedal

Accelerator cable

Inertia switch & connector

TFI distributor

Ignition coil

Fuel filter bracket

Starter solenoid

Valve covers

If you consider running the serpentine belt system, you will need all of the accessories, air conditioning compressor, power steering pump, alternator and maybe the smog pump and their brackets. You will also need the water pump and its pulley. Don’t forget that the late model Mustangs run a reverse rotation water pump.

To reiterate;
                              The Explorer engines have the best intake manifold, it is great for a stock or modified engine. When run in a dyno test against the Cobra Intake manifold and many after market intake manifolds, it performed just as well as if not better than the other intake manifolds. Explorers come from the factory with 65mm throttle bodies, but require a linkage modification when installing them into Mustangs or Broncos. When using this engine, it is best to convert to the 89-93 Mustang wiring and computer system.
                              The Explorer uses a distributorless ignition system and EEC V fuel injection system. This EEC V system has a great deal of emission control devices and is difficult to work with in an EFI conversion.
                              I recommend changing this to a 89-93 Mustang ignition and EEC IV fuel injection system. The EEC IV system is easier to install and has a lot less emissions equipment.
                              Early Explorer engines (1995 to 19971/4) came with GT-40 Heads, easily indentified by the 3 vertical ribs on the front and rear of the heads or the "GT" cast into the corner of the head just outside the valve cover. These heads have stock spark plug angles, location and will work in Early Mustangs with all common exhaust systems.
                              The Late Explorer engines(19971/4 to 2001) have GT-40P cylinder heads, easily identified by 4 vertical ribs on the front and rear of the heads or the "P" cast into the corner of the head just outside the valve cover. These heads do require special headers, they have a different spark plug angle & location and may interfere with your exhaust manifolds or headers. Check spark plug clearance before installing these heads or an Explorer engine.
                              Both of these heads are great heads, they will out flow and out perform stock late model Mustang heads.

So I didn't thread jack...Chris here is some info. I have more if you need it, I just wanted to get you searching in the right direction.

You definitely want to look hard at the 96-98 Ford Explorer 5.0. GT-40P Heads (out flow the GT-40), cobra type upper and lower plenums, 65mm t-body, and 2" shallower front accessories for better fitment of a electric fan. Basically a cobra motor without the roller rockers. This set up is more expensive as you cannot use the wiring, ignition, computer, or camshaft(too small). The explorer is OBD2 which requires a cat and 2 seperate O2 sensors, one pre-cat and one post-cat in order to run correctly; there is also no distributor in this motor (cam pick-up) as well as it having coil packs. The explorer motor needs to be converted to mustang A9L ecu code EEC IV OBD1 controls. Let me know when you are ready and I will help with the info to get what you need...

When I had 35's, I could smoke both of them for 50 feet with this set-up!!!
                              Nice progress on the project by the way...

Comment

Working...
                              X