460 oil pressure issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 460 oil pressure issue

My '89 f350 flatbed has a freshly rebuilt 460. Since I bought it several months ago I have driven it about 1000 mostly freeway miles. The motor has less that 5000 miles on it. The oil pressure has usually been in the lower half of the normal range. The gauge is electric (I know, I know) and the sending unit is new. Last week the pressure dropped to the low end of normal. The valve train is noisy on start up but quiets immediately. The oil level (by dipstick) is full.

I have only driven it around the local area but have had no other indications of a problem besides the gauge. I am leery to drive it home like this. I expect I will have to install a real gauge, but do you have any other ideas about what is going on here?
    Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Re: 460 oil pressure issue

untill the pressure has been verified with a mechanical gauge i would not even drive it. lots of things could have gone wrong. loose oil pump pickup screen. overfilling it some would elimenate that. any metal in the oil? was it a complete engine build or hone and go? mech gauge check first!
    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

Re: 460 oil pressure issue

Thanks. Mech gauge next.
      Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Working...
      X