Dry Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ice

Im getting ready to go on a week long camping/4 wheel'n trip and ice generally melts away about 3-4 days in. Has anyone used dry ice to keep a cooler full of block ice frozen for a week long trip? I know to keep the dry ice away from any moisture and was going to seal up the large igloo as much as possible.

Just looking for some ideas to keep my sodas cold for a week long trip without having to have someone bring me up ice.
    72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Re: Dry Ice

Opps..Meant to put in Chit Chat section
    72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Comment

There are a few tricks with dry ice that work decently well. Check out these links:

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/camping.htm
      http://www.yeticoolers.com/pages/Using-Dry-Ice.html

I haven't used it for long periods of time but back in college, many a care package from my parents was kept cold with dry ice.

What kind of ice chest/coolers are you using? I started with standard old-school coleman coolers which wouldn't work beyond a few days. I then bought a MaxCold which would keep ice for 5 or 6 days in 90* temps but by the end anything that remained would be so waterlogged.

I now use an ARB freezer-fridge and cringe whenever I have to go back to ice... they are expensive but if you camp often they are worth it. You end up finding uses for them around the house too. Just sayin...
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Thanks for the link. I have the Igloo 100 and 150Qt coolers. I see from one of the links:

"I have a 100-quart Coleman that I pack before leaving with a 50-pound block of dry ice and two 25-pound blocks of regular ice on either side of the dry ice. The dry ice is wrapped in many layers of newspaper, which is a marvelous insulator. If the cooler is kept in the shade and covered with a heavy blanket, the dry ice will last from 8-10 days at which time the wet ice first begins to melt. This will then last another 4-5 days."

Guess I will give that a try. I just need to keep the block ice to stay somewhat frozen to ice the additional 36 packs

Comment

Pre chill everything including the icechest itself. freeze everything that you plan on cooking too!
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I use to place (2) 10-15 lb. blocks of dry ice under two blocks of ice (i think just the 5 lb.) then place most of the food in containers and put 20 lbs. of cubed ice around it and after 7 - 10 days in the con I would still have ice, and that is in a 120 qt. cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
              Pre chill everything including the icechest itself. freeze everything that you plan on cooking too!
              That is absolutely critical. Everything in your cooler should be cold to start with. Freezing meat translates into more ice to cool other stuff. Freezing water bottles gives you more ice plus when they start to melt you have ice water to drink. Trying to ice down warm drinks on the trail will kill your ice supply faster than anything. You are already fighting mother nature every time you open the cooler and whenever its not in a cool shady location. Adding warm mass to the cooler's interior just speeds the process.

If you will be camping next to a stream or river and need to chill your extra beers, toss them in a fishing net and let them rest in the water. That'll at least pre-chill them before you add them into your cooler... just be sure to secure the net to the shore (seriously... I've lost drinks downstream doing this).
              Last edited by CityHick; 07-19-2012, 11:32 AM.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Just don't put it in the ice chest with any fresh fruits or veggies. The dry ice will give them a very bitter taste. And don't put it in with anything that you don't want fronzen solid!! Oh yeah, and touch it bare handed......unless you don't like your skin!

Comment

Originally posted by jchevy4x4j View Post
                  Im getting ready to go on a week long camping/4 wheel'n trip and ice generally melts away about 3-4 days in. Has anyone used dry ice to keep a cooler full of block ice frozen for a week long trip? I know to keep the dry ice away from any moisture and was going to seal up the large igloo as much as possible.

Just looking for some ideas to keep my sodas cold for a week long trip without having to have someone bring me up ice.
                  I have done this a few times, but was meant to be a freezer works very well. Keep it out of the sun and only open when needed it will last ½ the week. I put cardboard on top of the Dry Ice to keep air off it. We froze a bottle of Vodka once doing this. They sometimes sale Ice at main camp (Trek) My wife is coming in on Thur. and I was going to have her pick me up a few 20’s. Buy her a drink at the bar and I am sure she could get you one too.
                  After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

The best tip I use is finding a piece of Tupperware that fits snug in the bottom of the cooler. Then you can use that Tupperware to make your own block ice that fit your cooler perfectly.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                      The best tip I use is finding a piece of Tupperware that fits snug in the bottom of the cooler. Then you can use that Tupperware to make your own block ice that fit your cooler perfectly.
                      Cold idea
                      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

i have a large chest freezer. I put about 6" of water in the bottom of the ic and freeze the whole thing. Works great.

Comment

I do this but if you got 100% access to power.....and a little shop beer fridge......

Comment

Working...
                          X