Garage air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage air compressor

Need a good one, the portable one is good for light constr work, but fails at air tools! Need to finallyupgrade!
    So needs are die grinders, impact guns etc, and the ability to keep up. Whatcha endorse? has to be a vert tank...
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Re: Garage air compressor

I like IR. This one looks pretty good and you can go up in HP/ CFM from here.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ING...120723203159:s

Main thing you want to look at is the CFM requirement of your most demanding air tool & get a compressor that has more output than the requirement.
    Last edited by Fungus232; 07-23-2012, 12:40 PM.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I use IR. Mine is the 5HP T30, 80 gallon. Quiet....
      1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

If you want it to be quiet you really need to go with two stage, unfortunately most of the two stage ones are at least 5hp and 80 gal. and $500 used and over $1200 new.
        Build thread

Comment

A buddy of mine has one like this: http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...FQV6hwodgE0A2g

It's bad ass and way overkill for a residential 2-car garage but overkill is good. Pump comes on once in a great while, and he's got air plumbed to several spots around the garage. If I ever do my garage addition, I will get something like it.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I have one of these still brand new in the shipping crate and shrink wrapped.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-profe...&blockType=G11
            (edit : Hmm, I thought mine was something like 4.5 hp and not the 3.1 they're talking about. It's a 60 gal upright single stage though, so I'll check the hp and cfm ratings if someone is interested)

It's not like the professional and dual-stage ones the others are talking about, but it's only $500 too, if you want a decent home/shop type at a semi-decent price.
            It's not at the typical "used" price of course, because it's still new and I'd like to recoup at least most of my investment.
            I ended up with two. Yeah, don't ask. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Of course, it's in San Jose as well, so might be more of a hassle to get home than one sourced locally.

Paul
            Last edited by DirtDonk; 07-23-2012, 01:48 PM.
            Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
            www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
            68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I bought this one recently, using a Harbor Freight 20% off coupon.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

It seemed like the best deal based on CFM rating, price and reviews. The Husky brand is made by Campbells-Hausfield and decent support is available.

You can tet a moving packet at the post office for a 10% off Lowe's coupon. Home Depot will honor the lowes coupon, but you might have to work them a little on the HF.

Comment

Buy a used QUINCY 80 Gal and never look back IMHO. Whatever you do, stay away from the oil-less ones. LOUD! Hot air from this pump condensing creating a lot of condensate, and not 100 percent duty regardless of what they say. I have the Sears Craps-men 5HP dual piston oil-less and after 20 minutes or so of die grinder work the motor thermal over loads and wont restart for 20-30 min. Plus I have replaced pistons and rods twice. This POS throws rods on purpose just to piss me off.
                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

"Of course, it's in San Jose as well, so might be more of a hassle to get home than one sourced locally."

I know a guy who knows a guy (me) who goes from San Jose past the Sac airport every weekend. Glad to help.
                  Last edited by Henry66; 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM.
                  Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

Your die grinder and DA are the biggest air hogs. If you want to run those you are going to need at least an 80 gallon tank and 220v. Match the cfm of the compressor to the cfm of your most demanding tool. Two stage is best.

Comment

Nothing new is really good unless you have the bucks to back it up.
                      Just search craigslist and find something oiled and heavy duty looking.
                      Mark Harris
                      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thanks for the delivery offer Henry! Very cool.

Ditto on the oilless type. I know they say that some of the newer ones are "quiet" now. But I say, compared to what? All the ones I've used can be heard half-way across town! Very annoying for such a small return.
                        Low maintenance though...

Definitely check the flow usage of your fast spinning tools like grinders and cutters. Them little buggers use way more than most of the really big, but slower spinning stuff.
                        What would you guys consider a minimum CFM rating for a garage upright? As little as 8 to 10 CFM at 100 psi maybe? Or more like 12 and above?
                        Sounds like you're leaning more in the neighborhood of 12 CFM, or more, but that's getting into the more expensive ones too, isn't it?

Paul
                        Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                        www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                        68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I have had that Ir one for a few years. It used to be 500 bucks. It's a nice unit

Comment

Working...
                          X