Identifying a 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a 44

Hey I don't post much but need some help.

I found a dana 44 with welded wedges for sale for a full width or cutting to a bronco length. As long as it has the welded wedges on is that all that is important to look for? It has disc brakes and is an hp, but not too good of shape. The tubes look smaller on it but it could be just me and the axles look smaller on it..not knowing what to look for. I love this site...I search on it a lot..Thanks for the help!

Re: Identifying a 44

Sounds like a good candidate if the price is right. Welded wedges, high pinion, full width, disc brakes "should" be from a 76/77 F-150 I think, atleast mine is. 78 they went to the cast wedges on the F-150s and Broncos.

Some will say the wedges (welded or cast) really don't matter. I will agree if you're looking to shorten it. The only benefit to them is IF you want to relocate the wedges to the EB width and still run the full width axle & it also makes it easy to dial in your castor by welding them back on where you want them. That axle should have the thicker wall tubes as well, mine are 1/2".
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

It does not have the bulky cast ends on it like 78/79, supposedly it came out of a 78 F150 just with wedges and needs all rebuilt. So is everything as heavy duty as a 78/79 if I go full width and move the spring buckets out? This isnt cheap that is why I am asking for help to get the right one.

Comment

If it needs all rebuilt and it is not cheap keep looking.
        Just a stock 1966 U13, 170 ci 6 cyl, no kiddin'.

Comment

not worried about cheap..I'll throw away what I dont need, I just need a housing to put new stuff on it so I don't break down. I just need to know if all the 44s without the big bulky castings on it would be the right one before I buy it. Its on craigslist..they are hard to find. Maybe I am not wording it right I am just looking for the right part.

Comment

Working...
          X