double check shock length/mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double check shock length/mounting

I'm getting ready to burn in my shock mounts for the rear. In this picture I am 6" extended on one side and 3" compressed on the other.(Without any shocks installed)
    With the shocks I have I could potentially be extended 8 7/8" and compressed 5 1/8" in my current mock up mounting position. In this picture the rear wheel is just barely touching the ground so I am articulated about as far as it will go.
    Do these numbers sound like a happy medium?
    Next question:
    Right now I have the shock sitting vertically and mounted to the top of the axle tube. Is there any reason I wouldn't want to mount it this way? Should I mount the shock in front of or behind the axle tube? I plan on running an anti wrap bar soon, if that makes a difference.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by FLYINHIE; 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: double check shock length/mounting

With the anti-wrap bar, you should be fine.
    I guess the only reason you would sometimes not want to run mount on top like that would be if, to get a long enough shock to give you full droop, it had too long of a body to give you full compression without extending the mounting points farther out.
    Sometimes, with some combinations, that extra 4 or 5 inches of shock mount spread is what makes the difference.
    With luck though, your upper mounts are high enough up to where that's not going to be an issue.

Otherwise the top of the axle would be super convenient and not hang down.
    What upper mounts are you using?

Paul
    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDonk View Post
      Otherwise the top of the axle would be super convenient and not hang down.
      What upper mounts are you using?

Paul

I'm using Ruffstuff mounting tabs on custom hoops.
      I've got plenty of height with the custom hoops, BL and sus lift. The way I have it mocked up now I will be potentially be using 13" of the 14" travel shocks
      Attached Files

Comment

With the hoop and shock that far into the wheel well, will it rub on or interfere with the tire upon full stuf?
        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
          With the hoop and shock that far into the wheel well, will it rub on or interfere with the tire upon full stuf?
          It shouldn't. Ive got a good amount of clearance with the full width axles. Good catch though, that's one of the things I was looking at when I took it out to Prairie City. Before making my hoops. I've got the hoops pretty tight against the fender well.

Comment

Cool, just checking. Forgot you were fw.
            72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
            BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
            RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Working...
            X