which 44?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which 44?

I have posted this under a wanted ad but I thought I would include it here.
    I think Im going full width and I have a pretty good deal set up for $400. I have a choice between a 1972 f100 Dana 44 with discs or a 1979 D44 with discs. I know the 72 has the wedges I can cut off and move but my question was what other things are different about these two axles?

front dana 44 with disc
    rear bb 9"

both for $400

Re: which 44?

Get the 1972 axle. It has continuous tubes on each side of the pumpkin. The 1979 axle has cast tubes with integral wedges that are used to connect two pieces of tubing. Basically each side of the housing has three pieces of tube all joined by welds between the inner "C" and the pumpkin. Theoretically the '72 is much stronger, but I've never heard seen a '79 bend. Plus you can reweld the wedges narrower to prevent okie-flex with the '72 axle.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Are they both high pinion? Maybe the one that is described as a 72 was swapped somewhere down the line - No expert here but I don't think there was a 72 with discs, or high pinion, or welded wedges.

Comment

The guy is going to send me pics. But I think the one he called a 72 is because he just put it in his 72 pickup. Im going to find out more info tonight with some pictures. I would like to buy the one with the welded wedges but I was concerned if it was a weaker axle, meaning smaller u joints etc.
        What are the differences in the axles which have the welded wedges vs. the cast iron wedges? If nothing is really different than Im going with the welded wedges.

Comment

from the pic I got, it is definitely steel housing, HP with disc brakes. Any thoughts?

Comment

Ujoints and axles in full width axles should all be the same 30 spline inner axles and 19 spline stub shafts. I think only early broncos have the smaller joints. In this case, the '72 is still stronger.
            Last edited by Efibroncoman; 07-29-2012, 02:17 PM.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Not sure why I asked that since I was thinking about going the CV axle route anyways. This full width thinking is funnnnn.

Comment

my FW is a 72. came with drum brakes and welded wedges. It is a HP. If it has discs, it was converted. If it has the Chevy conversion I would opt for the 79 as you will need the larger knuckles for the CV axles.
                Last edited by TBS-POPS; 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM.
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

damn, good point. I guess I could do a little more research to find out what year HP 44 Im looking at. What would be the best case scenario? If the axle is a lets say 75-78? did 78 HP44's come with welded wedges or are they cast like the 79'S? I know lots of questions but any more advice would be great.

Comment

In my experience its not a real clear cut deal. Best advice I could give is go get eyes on it if its close or some damn good pics. My axles came out of a 78 F-150 & by the letter of the law should have have the cast wedges on the front end. It didn't, they were/ are welded & have the heavier 1/2" thick axle tubes. The 9" also has the heavier Daytona pinion support.

So much shit has been swapped into and out of these rigs over the past 30+ years that its hard to go by "year" of the donor vehicle anymore.
                    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

You can still use RCV axles with the Chevy disk knuckles. You just assemble the CV with the knuckle turned to full lock. They have a video on their site.

Comment

If your going FW and staying FW then welded or cast wedges it doesn't matter. The key is to do it with some sort of long radius arms to get the caster right. I have cage arms with the extra caster built in 4* bushings and have 10* of caster. Drives straight and true.
                        If you wanted a HP to shorten to EB width then an early housing with welded wedges is the preference, otherwise it doesn't matter. A 44 with Ford brakes just makes life easier in the long run.
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

Comment

So I could use the cast wedges in their current location? I wanted to make some extended arms anyways so now I'm really torn about which one to get. The welded wedge axle is in good shape and so is the cast one. ?????

Comment

Yes you can use the wedges in the stock location on a FW. We run 2 FW EB's without any axle housing mods. Check my build thread for pics.

Comment

I left my cast wedges at FW, rotated the bottom cups a little, added a new hole for mounting them and run extended radius arms, couldn't be happier. There is a slight bow out but makes no drivability issue.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Working...
                              X